Morrissey Central Janice. (December 26, 2021)

FHeyI67WUAgQ6Rc-1UZ8zQ_ni3glg.jpg

"We are all such hopeless creatures, aren't we? We must wait until someone dies in order to tell them how much we loved them. Am I even writing this, now, about the death of Janice Long? Gone, as everyone in the UK now seems to, after 'a short illness'. What IS a short illness? Interpret as you will…

Janice was immediately in my life during the days of Rough Trade Records … all those tears ago. I would sit very still waiting for "Hand In Glove" to be played on her radio show - and it always was.
Suddenly I was a someone. Janice remained loyal to me, even allowing radio sessions during barren times when I was considered far too exciting to be signed by a record label.
Such things didn't matter to Janice.
Decades later, when thinking became banned in the UK, Janice invited me onto her show … letting me know that I was valued, letting me know that the press vendetta against me hadn't fooled those who really count in the end.
In what might be termed her heyday, Janice - along with John Walters - had an energy that chased music; Janice turned up everywhere, never defeated, helping the newly-signed, she would drive 250 miles to see a band … never losing the necessity of immediate action, yet all the credit for nighttime music mysteriously went to John Peel.
Janice was also the first female to present 'Top of the Pops', and as young and lively as she was, she wanted legitimate association with quality music - not with sexuality.
She was not a costume.
Her will was determined, and even on the few occasions that she criticized me I knew she was right, and nothing could dent our friendship. It was difficult back then (and impossible now) to present individuality in pop music.
In modern times, no one will risk being honest.
Inevitably militant ageist manifestos reduced Janice from her reverential Radio
2 slot, a position that she alone had built brick by brick, but … she had achieved her intentions … she had done the impossible very, very well … and her career, now closed, is a lifetime of gains without losses, and she didn't ever once belabor the price
of being female in a world that was for a long time sewn-together by and for men. She proved what could be done.
She took risks by playing independent music during the years when independent music was refused access to daytime radio.
Janice gave airtime to such as Ludus and Raymonde, and even played all six minutes of the Dolls' 'Frankenstein' uninterrupted. Even modern DJs dare not risk such imagination.

The choking sorrow at the announcement of someone's death is full equation of their success. Only then do we say what would be a queasy revelation during the person's lifetime. How can love be talked about? It can't. Possibly the only time Janice went on a gym treadmill she found herself jogging alongside Peter Wyngarde. I laughed for hours trying to conjour up such a picture. She then said:
"and then Ray Davies walked in carrying a plastic shopping-bag." My head hurt.

Even if, at age 66, Janice would be termed 'the older generation', it must be remembered that a great deal is lost in the passing of that generation.
Memory is our strength. Thank you, Janice. Your soul is liberated from this increasingly ridiculous world."

MORRISSEY, 26 December 2021.

(Quoted text formatting edited slightly as not very fluid on mobile)

Regards,
FWD.

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Been listening to Radio 2 while driving and apparently Janice and her husband had There is a light played for their wedding dance!

Last edited:
I didn't know Janice Long, but by reading Morrissey's heartfelt eulogy, I have now a pretty good idea of the kind of person and radio professional she was, and how important she was to him personally.

Thank you, Janice. RIP.

Been listening to Radio 2 while driving and apparently Janice and her husband had There is a light played for their wedding dance!
Didn’t she give birth with Girlfriend in a coma playing?

What is the word 'sexuality' doing in there?

And what is this word 'conjour'?
Sexuality as in sex. It's something that people have. Not brittle dried up leftist freaks but, you know, OTHER people.

Contour is probably just a typo or a misspelling. I guess it's proof he's a racist.

Can someone explain to me what he is trying to imply by the whole “short illness” thing that he has put in quotes? Is this meant to be some sort of dog whistle about covid/vax denial, because I really don’t understand? Interpret as you will? It’s a very strange thing to say in what’s supposed to be a eulogy for a friend, and nobody else has mentioned this?

What is the word 'sexuality' doing in there?

And what is this word 'conjour'?
The former is (maybe?) an attempt to suggest that Janice had no interest in being any kind of sex symbol, merely a conduit for her favourite music; the latter is a spelling mistake.

Can someone explain to me what he is trying to imply by the whole “short illness” thing that he has put in quotes? Is this meant to be some sort of dog whistle about covid/vax denial, because I really don’t understand? Interpret as you will? It’s a very strange thing to say in what’s supposed to be a eulogy for a friend, and nobody else has mentioned this?
Good point - I suppose it's just an objection to the phrase 'short illness' which sounds like a trivial condition, whereas something that kills you is obviously anything but. Families don't always want to disclose details of how their relative died for any number of reasons, so 'short illness' is often used.

"Short illness" is the preferred media euphemism at present for the many victims of these deadly experimental mRNA jabs (at least for those famous enough to be covered at all in media; the rest are ignored because it doesn't suit the Narrative and may harm Big Pharma's profits - and those of the mainstream media who are so reliant on Big Pharma adverts to stay afloat).

"Short illness" is the preferred media euphemism at present for the many victims of these deadly experimental mRNA jabs (at least for those famous enough to be covered at all in media; the rest are ignored because it doesn't suit the Narrative and may harm Big Pharma's profits - and those of the mainstream media who are so reliant on Big Pharma adverts to stay afloat).
Hahahaha! Cool story, bro.

No, he's just objecting to journalese. When they don't have the relevant information they use a stock phrase.

No, it's not.

A nice piece from Morrissey and nothing that any sensible person could have any issue with.

There have been a huge number of tributes to Janice Long since her passing and almost all of the acts have mentioned her in relation to their own career. Nothing unique in Morrissey doing that.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom