Jean Dawson: "I want it to feel like Manchester and Compton had a baby. I want it to be like if Morrissey was black" - DIY

JEAN DAWSON: “I WANT IT TO FEEL LIKE MANCHESTER AND COMPTON HAD A BABY. I WANT IT TO BE LIKE IF MORRISSEY WAS BLACK”

Excerpt:

“There’s a lot of Kanye West, Smashing Pumpkins, Warped Tour shit,” he says of his influences. “Anything from Manchester! The Smiths, New Order, all the stuff that felt really Britpop-py. I remember working with [British producers] Hoskins and the 23rd for [2019 single] ‘Napster’ and I was like, ‘I want it to feel like Manchester and Compton had a baby. I want it to be like if Morrissey was black’. I wanted to do something that felt like that,” he pauses, laughing. “I think Morrissey would really hate that.”

full

FWD.

Last edited by a moderator:
There was another article last year promoting an EP where the interviewer states:

"Bad Sports contains elements of hip-hop and alternative music and is influenced by Kanye West, Jeezy, Mike Jones, The Smiths (although he hates Morrissey and would punch him in the face), Mac DeMarco, Portishead and more."

Regards,
FWD.

He does want to be Shirley Bassey... although that's probably not what Jean is thinking of.

20201111_171637.jpg

92110ed817059c9a52672e184fef44bb.jpg

There was another article last year promoting an EP where the interviewer states:

"Bad Sports contains elements of hip-hop and alternative music and is influenced by Kanye West, Jeezy, Mike Jones, The Smiths (although he hates Morrissey and would punch him in the face), Mac DeMarco, Portishead and more."

Regards,
FWD.

Hahaa! Mike Jones!
Is this guy gonna start sayin' his phone number on songs?

It would be pretty funny (only to me) if this guy
said he was influenced by Mike Jones and then
said his phone number on songs.
(Ya see, Mike Jones big gimmick was to always
say his phone number on every song.)

yes, but I still wouldn’t call.

I'm out of touch....the only band with blossoms in the title I know are the Gin Blossoms.

Blossoms that Hovis mentions are from Stockport and have a huge following around Manchester. They have had a couple of number 1 albums, my 17 year old has seen them a couple of times. some of the stuff I've heard while she's been playing them in my car is pretty good.

Blossoms that Hovis mentions are from Stockport and have a huge following around Manchester. They have had a couple of number 1 albums, my 17 year old has seen them a couple of times. some of the stuff I've heard while she's been playing them in my car is pretty good.

they must be amazing then!

Their first album (2016) was decent; 2nd (2018) one not so much. I think they're done.

Their first album (2016) was decent; 2nd (2018) one not so much. I think they're done.

The one which they released in January this year went straight to number 1. They have sold out Manchester Arena and 3 nights at London Kentish Town Forum and are playing 5 stadium gigs supporting The Killers. So they my be done in your eyes but it seems like an awful lot of people are still keen on them.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom