Jean Dawson: "I want it to feel like Manchester and Compton had a baby. I want it to be like if Morrissey was black" - DIY

JEAN DAWSON: “I WANT IT TO FEEL LIKE MANCHESTER AND COMPTON HAD A BABY. I WANT IT TO BE LIKE IF MORRISSEY WAS BLACK”

Excerpt:

“There’s a lot of Kanye West, Smashing Pumpkins, Warped Tour shit,” he says of his influences. “Anything from Manchester! The Smiths, New Order, all the stuff that felt really Britpop-py. I remember working with [British producers] Hoskins and the 23rd for [2019 single] ‘Napster’ and I was like, ‘I want it to feel like Manchester and Compton had a baby. I want it to be like if Morrissey was black’. I wanted to do something that felt like that,” he pauses, laughing. “I think Morrissey would really hate that.”

full

FWD.

Last edited by a moderator:
The one which they released in January this year went straight to number 1. They have sold out Manchester Arena and 3 nights at London Kentish Town Forum and are playing 5 stadium gigs supporting The Killers. So they my be done in your eyes but it seems like an awful lot of people are still keen on them.
Wasn't aware. I sorta lost interest after album #2 where they got a bit too pop-py for me. I wish them well.

Wasn't aware. I sorta lost interest after album #2 where they got a bit too pop-py for me. I wish them well.

They aren't a band I would pay to go and see but they do seem to have appeal to todays young un's

They aren't a band I would pay to go and see but they do seem to have appeal to todays young un's
Yeah like I said their 1st album was interesting & fresh. I was aware they had a decent following even prior to the 1st album. For me they faded on the 2nd album in comparison to the 1st. Obv they still appeal to the younger set given the stats you're citing.

Blossoms that Hovis mentions are from Stockport and have a huge following around Manchester. They have had a couple of number 1 albums, my 17 year old has seen them a couple of times. some of the stuff I've heard while she's been playing them in my car is pretty good.
I find it very refreshing when a child/ parent can communicate through music.... my eldest two are heavily in to moz/ smiths.... they also have their own bands, drum and base ect.....
my youngest who is heavily into BTS ( k pop) and I do listen with her and I quite like... alas the fly in the ointment is that BTS spoil most of their songs with the pointless American rap half way through the song ......

Their first album (2016) was decent; 2nd (2018) one not so much. I think they're done.
Yeah I agree, they hit the ground running with a really good single, Blown Rose & debut album kinda lived up to that promise but they lost any edge they had with a bland 2nd album & some weak singles that sounded like they were written by somebody else for them. At that point I lost all interest in them.

Yeah there's absolutely no doubt, they went from indie hopefuls to 'pop fools', somebody flashed cash in their faces and turned them in to The Monkees, as can be seen in a cupla daft videos they released.

This bloke is superior to every delusional Moz extremist who posts on this site. Superior to every stalker from Argentina. Definitely superior to every racist white.

Yeah I agree, they hit the ground running with a really good single, Blown Rose & debut album kinda lived up to that promise but they lost any edge they had with a bland 2nd album & some weak singles that sounded like they were written by somebody else for them. At that point I lost all interest in them.
From the first album, I think Blow and Texia were 2 of the best tracks...2 tracks with some guts.

Last edited by a moderator:
JEAN DAWSON: “I WANT IT TO FEEL LIKE MANCHESTER AND COMPTON HAD A BABY. I WANT IT TO BE LIKE IF MORRISSEY WAS BLACK”

Excerpt:

“There’s a lot of Kanye West, Smashing Pumpkins, Warped Tour shit,” he says of his influences. “Anything from Manchester! The Smiths, New Order, all the stuff that felt really Britpop-py. I remember working with [British producers] Hoskins and the 23rd for [2019 single] ‘Napster’ and I was like, ‘I want it to feel like Manchester and Compton had a baby. I want it to be like if Morrissey was black’. I wanted to do something that felt like that,” he pauses, laughing. “I think Morrissey would really hate that.”

full

FWD.
"The Smiths, New Order, all the stuff that felt really Britpop-py."

He doesn't think The Smiths and New Order were part of Britpop does he? Not sure how you can lump everything under Britpop as a coherent sound. Parts of Britpop were ace but most of those short lived bands were crap. As a term it is a meaningless creation by the media mags. Suede kick-started Britpop and quickly walked away from it when it became corporate scour. Now when I look back at Britpop I think only of early Suede, Elastica, Pulp, some Oasis and Blur, and Gene. Maybe Echobelly if that was around then. My memory is like a dusty scratched record with grooves that the needle skips over.

"The Smiths, New Order, all the stuff that felt really Britpop-py."

He doesn't think The Smiths and New Order were part of Britpop does he? Not sure how you can lump everything under Britpop as a coherent sound. Parts of Britpop were ace but most of those short lived bands were crap. As a term it is a meaningless creation by the media mags. Suede kick-started Britpop and quickly walked away from it when it became corporate scour. Now when I look back at Britpop I think only of early Suede, Elastica, Pulp, some Oasis and Blur, and Gene. Maybe Echobelly if that was around then. My memory is like a dusty scratched record with grooves that the needle skips over.
I never considered The Smiths as part of Britpop. Quite a ridiculous suggestion.

To cite wikipedia "Britpop was a mid-1990s British-based music and culture movement that emphasised Britishness."
Obviously The Smiths were done by then.

Excerpt:

full

FWD.
Compton had a baby ? Did it sneak out of the abortion center and jack a ride ?Has it robbed a liquor store yet ?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom