Jean Genet and the setting of the refusal tour

JulieDurham

I have already started this conversation on the "what is the man wearing?" thread, but I tink it's not the good place.

So to make a long story short....with his Fred Perry shirt Morrossey reminds me the French author Jean Genet on the 30's and 40's.

_Jean_Genet.jpg

And the setting of the refusal tour is similar to the spirit of his novels.

Arkady posted that he agrees and is just reading "querelle"

"Querelle" is a good novel but I prefered " The miracle of the rose"

The version of "Querelle" by Fassbinder is very weird but it's worth seeing.
(even if the novel is better than the movie).

Anybody knows if Morrissey has already quoted Genet?

i know he said that un chant d'amour was one of his favourite movies.

Just like yesitis wrote at least his favourite film (one of them) is Genet's Un Chant d'Amour, (ot: which btw is one of my favourites also! It soothes me here in my solitude, being far away from my love,,) and I assume that's where the crotch flowers came from. I know someone wrote about this earlier (was it you?) in some other thread in here and made me so happy to see I'm not the only one noticing these references.

April 02 2004

On the last page of this week's les inrockuptibles, a short interview of Morrissey, asked about his preferred album, film and book of the moment.
His choices:
- disque: Franz Ferdinand
- livre: le livre de l'intranquillite, Fernando Pessoa
- film: un chant d'amour, Jean Genet

http://www.morrissey-solo.com/articles/04/04/02/0912253.shtml

I love this sailor theme just because it reminds so much Genet, also Kenneth Anger's Fireworks and Pierre+Gilles (eventhough Moz is not so kitschy;D) Also it's not the first time he's touched this theme, remembering Billy Budd, swallows etc

Lordy - I was lent Genet's Our Lady Of The Flowers years ago, and it did my head in so much, I didn't read any more Genet.

Peter

I find Japanese translation of French literature isn't as good as German and Russian, however, enjoyed reading The Theif's Journal.

I'm a huge fan of Fassbinder, but his adoptation of Querelle isn't up to my expectations.

So the Genet's world is familiar to him, I'm not surprised.

The poetry of Genet is so beautiful...

I'm a huge fan of Fassbinder, but his adoptation of Querelle isn't up to my expectations.

I agree maybe it's because he made obvious things which were only suggested by Genet in his book.

i know he said that un chant d'amour was one of his favourite movies.
hmm saw un chant d`amour (a song of love)once in the middle of the night on TV ..very rarely seen on TV..one reason might be of its length..short films are gernerally underpresented anyway...

its up on youtube, of course

edit: links removed by request of the Mods

Last edited:
hmm saw this film once in the middle of the night on TV ..very rarely seen on TV..one reason might be of its length..short films are gernerally underpresented anyway...

its up on youtube, of course

edit: links removed by request of Mods

yeah, i guess the running length could be the main reason it's not shown on tv. i tend to think the reason it's not shown much is that it's a black and white art film with no dialogue, directed by a french poet, featuring close-ups of penises.

yeah, i guess the running length could be the main reason it's not shown on tv. i tend to think the reason it's not shown much is that it's a black and white art film with no dialogue, directed by a french poet, featuring close-ups of penises.
well the channel on which it was shown here(Arte:a french-german channel) is a cultural channel who di shown many films being arty and somehow rare and some explicit.-so i expect it actually being shown there once-of course very late.
unfortinately as far as I have watched over they years..if they ever have shown any of "kitchen sink fims" on TV i must have missed them...
I dont know the aquivalent of arte in the Uk channnel..maybe channel 4?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arte

Last edited:
Yes, I think the fact that Morrissey hung foliage down the front of his trousers during some dates of his 2004 tour must be a homage of sorts to Un chanson... , because during the dream scene when they are out in the countryside one of the protagonists does the same.

some author who di wrote a book (or was it in a interview..i dont remember) wrote about similarities which he personally saw between genbet and morrissey..cant remember which one ...

Yes, I think the fact that Morrissey hung foliage down the front of his trousers during some dates of his 2004 tour must be a homage of sorts to Un chanson... , because during the dream scene when they are out in the countryside one of the protagonists does the same.

Generally flowers are symbols of feminine anatomy, something Genet added to the equation in order to make the parts of the two in the dream sequence fit. I think when Morrissey wears his flowers he's looking for the match to his, ahem, stamen I guess. Or else he's saying he's the girl but only symbolically. I thought it interesting that the cellmates tossed the role of flower to each other however only successfully made the exchange as the ending.

I have already started this conversation on the "what is the man wearing?" thread, but I tink it's not the good place.

So to make a long story short....with his Fred Perry shirt Morrossey reminds me the French author Jean Genet on the 30's and 40's.

_Jean_Genet.jpg

And the setting of the refusal tour is similar to the spirit of his novels.

Arkady posted that he agrees and is just reading "querelle"

"Querelle" is a good novel but I prefered " The miracle of the rose"

The version of "Querelle" by Fassbinder is very weird but it's worth seeing.
(even if the novel is better than the movie).

Anybody knows if Morrissey has already quoted Genet?

Whoever Julie Durham is is a genius for catching the connection between this and the YOR cover.

Back
Top Bottom