Johnny Marr “Upstarts” From Forthcoming Solo Album - KROQ

There is a review from some Irish blog who seemed to give it a very good to excellent rating, but not a "classic".

And in every interview Johnny has done, before getting on with the interview, the writer says it's excellent. But of course, they could just be saying that to be nice.

From what I've heard from the live songs, which doesn't include 2 songs on the album, I'd say it will be 3 1/2 stars out of 5. Which thankfully is far better than the Healers' album.

What 2 songs does it not include on the new album?

What 2 songs does it not include on the new album?

It's not the songs not included from the album, it's the songs I haven't heard yet because he never played them live, those songs are The Crack Up and Lockdown.

He also chose the wrong song to be the first single as well, Upstarts should be the b-side to Psychic Beginner's A-side, not the way it is now. Psychic Beginner has better lyrics and a darker feel. Listen yourself.

Psychic Beginner (live) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oN9-x3qZVJs

I asked my dog if she could come up with better lyrics. Turns out hers are waaay better ( if only she could play guitar)

I find it hard to believe that he hasn't learned something about lyric writing from all these bands he's been in - granted, I've never listened to a one of them for more than ten seconds. I'm not saying I want him to write like Morrissey, but

Ooooooh, I feel it comin' round. I hear it - sounds like the good life, I know ??

Literally no advancement past the lyrics on Boomslang a decade ago. I get what he's trying to do with the whole "retrospective" theme about growing up in Manchester - forgivable only for the music it inspires him to write. But Christ. Does it really take that much thought to write some words with a little more imagination and subtlety?

His lyrics are meaningless twaddle and if he hadn't explicitly mentioned Manchester on several occasions I'd be none the wiser as to the inspiration. Piss-poor.

Have any of you ever listened to the lyrics on Suedehead?

Back
Top Bottom