Johnny Marr in the Guardian--Salford lad is back

Thanks for posting.

I gotta move to Salford....and then go back to college.

What an excellent article - wonder if there's any pics? Soon find out. Anyway, how about this bit, regarding Johnny's recollection of Salford and that Wright picture?

"I'd never given it a moment's thought," Marr says, "until they started taking pictures at my university inauguration last year. I looked around, saw the red brick walls and thought, 'this is familiar'." Marr laughs it off, suggesting the brainfreeze was merely the product of a lifelong desire to forget that photo. "I just hate it." Because it's become so iconic and stylised? "Nah. Because I look so crap in it. It's the one frame I'd put an X against to show that I didn't like it and then someone - who looked exactly the same in every single picture - decided to use it just to piss me off."

Blimey!!

Peter

" It's the one frame I'd put an X against to show that I didn't like it and then someone - who looked exactly the same in every single picture - decided to use it just to piss me off."

Blimey!!

Peter

Classic.......

Thank you very much, you beat Peter, JJ and M23 to post the link.

Kewpie
I dont buy the Guardian, so wouldn't have spotted it:p

Good to read about my all time favourite gig at Salford Uni (kewpie was there too!).

'Run down suberb of Manchester' blah blah dial a cliche.

Jukebox Jury

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom