Johnny Marr / Instagram: "Back in the same spot 38 years later. Camden Electric Ballroom. 21st May 1983."

Not a usual post from Marr:

johnnymarrgram_20210923_p_2669312727216302805_2_2669312718760690924.jpg
johnnymarrgram_20210923_p_2669312727216302805_1_2669312718744042773.jpg

FWD.

Johnny is very clever as well as talented. That very mild comment about Rick Astley, posting a picture of the Smiths - it's all a prelude to his new release in 3 weeks. The giant show in Manchester this weekend and the James Bond movie will raise his profile even higher. He's got the goods though, his new songs are very good and the live shows have left people ecstatic. I think a reunion is the last thing on his mind, but he's teasing it for a reason.

In that last pic, looks to me like he's thinking...'yeah, I've been a complete twat for all these years...I'll call Moz tomorrow & set things right...life's too short'
Haha. Not sure how he would set things right. Moz has done so well for himself with so many fantastic albums (e.g. Viva, Arsenal, Vauxhall, Quarry, Ringleader, World Peace, Dog Chain). If anyone needs rescuing it is JM. I'd prefer to see Alain Whyte collaborating with Moz than JM.

Haha. Not sure how he would set things right. Moz has done so well for himself with so many fantastic albums (e.g. Viva, Arsenal, Vauxhall, Quarry, Ringleader, World Peace, Dog Chain). If anyone needs rescuing it is JM. I'd prefer to see Alain Whyte collaborating with Moz than JM.
Good for you.
We all have our personal taste.

I disagree
For me the stuff M did with Marr was sublime.
Sure he's equalled it at times as a solo act but only fleetingly .

Not one Morrissey LP is as good as a Smiths Lp.
Apart from Bona Drag.
morrissey solo lps tend follow a
formula since Southpaw. 3 good songs. 3 ok songs
3 filler.
where as smiths lps were actually well crafted lps.
you put it on and it was a journey.
Wth M solo it's play skip play etc.
i actually don't think Alains song writing is that good, he seems like a nice guy but he ain't great.

it was kinda embarrassing watching him creep his back in the band.

Johnny doesn't need to do that
Deep down M knows what he had with Johnny was magic .

I already imagined all this, I saw Johnny's video "Hi Hellow" and I loved it!!! Someone here mocked Johnny because he ran with his guitar, but to me I thought it was great, in all the.video Johnny is very melancholic and in one part he is sitting with his guitar, as if waiting for someone, and that person ES Moz, then look for the lyrics and I realized that it is dedicated to Morrissey....The song has parts similar to there is a light... the lyrics have very suggestive parts, I imagined that Johnny was talking to Moz, that emblematic guitar and Johnny sitting waiting... mmmm maybe I'm crazy but I have a good imagination,.... is Johnny's response to Moz's lyrics!!!!!!!!No es tan loca la idea !!!! Ojala vuelvan los Smiths amo a Morrissey y quiero a Johnny !!!!!
Well, I had the same feeling about this song, but maybe I'm just mad. Did you know Hi Hello is the first line in Patty Smith's song Frederick? They first met at her concert... Anyway, I'm crying.

World peace?
Dog on a chain?
Both not fantastic, imho.
Imagine Smiths tunes, mixed with Electronic beats, Marr's guitar sound and Morrissey's voice and lyrics. Surely more interesting than such albums you are praising as "fantastic".

That’s a really sweet photo
Remember the story Alain told—on a podcast or something, I’ve forgotten by now—where he and Johnny met, Johnny asked him if he’d ever play with Morrissey again, and Alain said he would when Johnny does? Hmm…
I’m only kidding really, I don’t ACTUALLY think that that’s proof of their reunion… but it would be nice for them to be friends again… from my perspective, a 19 year old fan. I’m sure I know what’s best for them
Ah, yes. I’d forgotten that. Well recalled.

In that last pic, looks to me like he's thinking...'yeah, I've been a complete twat for all these years...I'll call Moz tomorrow & set things right...life's too short'
38 egotistical years.
All about johnny.

Screenshot_20210924-121044.png

Not sure this 'notice me' will have the desired result :)
FWD.

The Smiths were great. Are great. But as a moment in time. A period in history. Johnny remembers them fondly. But he's a very different man now. And he looks at peace with himself.

Agree.

In one of his interviews, when asked whether he missed being in The Smiths, Moz answered: "No, that's not my life anymore.".

And Morrissey sings his life, right?

Johnny is very clever as well as talented. That very mild comment about Rick Astley, posting a picture of the Smiths - it's all a prelude to his new release in 3 weeks. The giant show in Manchester this weekend and the James Bond movie will raise his profile even higher. He's got the goods though, his new songs are very good and the live shows have left people ecstatic. I think a reunion is the last thing on his mind, but he's teasing it for a reason.

I tend to agree with your assumption.

World peace?
Dog on a chain?
Both not fantastic, imho.
Imagine Smiths tunes, mixed with Electronic beats, Marr's guitar sound and Morrissey's voice and lyrics. Surely more interesting than such albums you are praising as "fantastic".
Just listen to the last two Marr albums and your hope for Smiths-like tunes sinks like a torpedoed Titanic full of zombie Nazis.

Just listen to the last two Marr albums and your hope for Smiths-like tunes sinks like a torpedoed Titanic full of zombie Nazis.
I get it straight in the neck. Somehow expecting no less. There are more than enough Smiths fans, who don't post here and who like Marr's last solo record more than the eclectic bunch of songs, Morrissey tries to sell as his "best work ever". And I am not neccesarily talking about my own opinion. Mix both worlds and bear a child (of a 59 year old mother) nobody wants and nobody loves. Now does that sound mad?

Last edited:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom