Johnny Marr interview: "Isaac Brock is the greatest lyricist I’ve ever worked with" (October 13, 2021)

docinwestchester

This has lately become like the Johnny Marr Solo forum. Morrissey should get his butt in gear and do something.

89B93541-B901-4C73-8FB0-664D0C2F99ED.jpeg

I posted the above last night, in the Loog Oldham thread.

I am pretty into a couple of Modest Mouse records (funnily enough, I had no idea Johnny ever played for them until years later) but this is just absolutely false.

I have never really listened to Modest Mouse, so I googled for some articles about Brock's lyrics. Can't say I'm too impressed about stuff like this: "The universe works on a math equation / That never even ever really even ends in the end". That's just terrible. Perhaps it's unfair to judge him by stray couplets like this, but I don't really think it's very tactful to rank your collaborators. Just imagine the furore, if Morrissey claimed Jesse Tobias is the most talented guitarist he has ever worked with.

Then why doesn't he sing the songs he wrote with Ian Brooks if he likes them so much. I'm pleased for Marr's latter day success but he only seems to come truly alive at his concerts when he's singing Morrissey's lyrics.

Then why doesn't he sing the songs he wrote with Ian Brooks if he likes them so much. I'm pleased for Marr's latter day success but he only seems to come truly alive at his concerts when he's singing Morrissey's lyrics.
Wow

Brock has some good lyrics but that’s an overstatement for sure

I don’t suppose anyone’s considered that he might have said this for effect, with a new album coming out….

I don’t suppose anyone’s considered that he might have said this for effect, with a new album coming out….
It’ll turn people off of his new album, if anything.

It’ll turn people off of his new album, if anything.

Maybe Marr is just lowering the bar by saying this about Brooks, because it makes Marr feel better about his own lyric writing capabilities (?)

Maybe Marr is just lowering the bar by saying this about Brooks, because it makes Marr feel better about his own lyric writing capabilities (?)
*Brock

I have no idea. Maybe. Or maybe he’s just trying to be subversive and cool. I have a hard time believing he’s actually this deluded.

Whatever.

Or more clever than we all thought?
He knew it would make good clickbait, he is after all promoting his product.
He is, but I’m just not sure if this is the kind of thing that makes people want to listen to or buy his records.

I've tried to like Marr's solo stuff (and couldn't) and up until now I've always said, "well at least he seems like a cool guy". He probably still is but this statement is just ignorant. If he's doing it to promote his record, I don't think it will have the desired effect.

He said this in the context of a really long interview. It’s the media who have extracted and highlighted this one quote. He meant it as complimentary to Isaac Brock. Context, it’s important, right?

Tags
johnny marr
Back
Top Bottom