Johnny Marr on Morrissey's politics - interview in Sky News

Johnny Marr distances himself from Morrissey's Brexit views - Sky News
The legendary guitarist says his bandmate's recent political proclamations suggest The Smiths are better off staying split up.

Excerpts:

He told Sky News that if reports Morrissey said he liked Nigel Farage "a great deal" and that the Brexit result is "magnificent" are true, they no longer share the same beliefs.

He said: "Yes that's probably right - I always forget about that, it's stuff I hear second hand and I don't believe everything I read but if that is the case that he's pro-Farage, there would be a slight drawback in that, as anyone would imagine."

"As far as Brexit goes, I'm proud again to be in the minority. No-one ever says the majority is right, I've been in the minority a lot - when I was younger and now," he said.

He said: "At the time when Thatcher came into power, young people were really against it - the meanness of it, the disappointment.

"My personal politics were that I thought decency and society should look after people who need a helping hand and I still think that and I think the Conservative government stood for the opposite of that and I still do."

Last edited by a moderator:
So is there a proper review of Johnny's book anywhere yet or are we forever discussing old Moz topics?

Just listening to "Irish Blood, English Heart" alone appears to outline that Morrissey is feeling what large swathes of ex-Labour supporting voters in this country (myself included) are feeling - lines such as "I've been dreaming of a time when/The English are sick to death of Labour and Tories" and "to be standing by the flag not feeling shameful/racist or partial" show a distrust of both the traditional left and right of British politics and displeasure at the growing creep of people to the left-far left who view any form of displays of nationality as some kind of racist leaning.

Nigel Farage is, to many people tired of the same old parliamentary troughers, a breath of fresh air to a political class in both Westminister and Strasbourg/Luxembourg and you get a feeling that he actual means what he says which is very rare, if not unknown, in his profession.

Many working class, ex-Labour supporters such as Tony Parsons supported Farage's position on controlling immigration and leaving the European Union but that doesn't mean they are now fully signed up members of the far right, far from it, and people who look to attack Tony or indeed Morrissey for these views are misguided.

Many families and close friends in this country who voted differently in the EU referendum would have managed to carry on as normal post June 23rd so it's odd to think that Morrissey and Marr wouldn't have a relationship due to how each other view the result.
What you say here is true. People get tired of the establishment Left and Right and turn to people like Farage or Trump for an alternative, and in my opinion that is kind of scary but I blame the left wing parties for sticking with established candidates who are guaranteed to continue business as usual.

Brexit is dead
Brexit is dead
Brexit is dead
Brexit is dead
Brexit is dead
Brexit is dead
I'm too much in love,
I'm too much in love.

No time to read all these but it's worth remembering that when Steve recently praised Nigel Farage, he praised George Galloway in the same sentence who's about as left wing as they come. They're both anti-establishment - I'm guessing that's why they appeal to him. It's also worth noting that he backed Bernie Sanders in the US election - the most left wing of all the candidates. And that he's also said positive things about Jeremy Corbyn. Morrissey, although muddled and prone to saying some ridiculous stuff when it comes to politics, is ultimately a bit of a lefty - as is Johnny Marr.

You'd have to be utterly deluded to believe that Nigel Farage is in any way "anti-establishment".

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom