Johnny Marr teaches how to play The Headmaster Ritual

I could listen to him play all day. Lovely.

In your misguided trousers
With your mascara and your Fender guitar
And you think you can arouse us? :LOL:

Yeah, if only Johnny would raise his game by going onstage in a bikini, or perhaps wearing a classy "f*** the Guardian" T-shirt like Morrissey's hired goons. He'd look a lot better in a dress than Boz Boorer, too.

Last edited:
Have to agree, Jesse makes everything look hard work. He absolutely murders Chain Gang, it’s pure torture.
A nice gesture from Johnny to do this as well. Top man.
Hope everyone is well :thumb:

???
Yes Benny I'm doing very well, its a miracle we've made it this far....how are you coping with it all ?? I'm loving being off work to be fair, some early nights, and late morning's..... some late nights, and early morning's. Like everyone else life is crazy at the mo..... But I'm happy..... what's your crack big fella ??

Never realised before how much the chorus section at 6:22 - 6:30 sounds like the intro "You Just Haven't Earned It Yet, Baby".

Yes, Johnny Marr is really good at playing his own songs. Even better than when other people play them. Who knew!
But his song-writing skills are appalling these days. He hasn't got anywhere near the genius of Jesse Tobias's songs on 'Dog on a Chain' for decades. What would Marr give to be able to write something as gorgeous, dreamy and euphoric as Knockabout World, as chiming and melodic as My Hurling Days are Done, as crisp, adventurous and joyful as Once I Saw the River Clean. Whilst Marr just plods and plods.
Hats off to Jesse - he's played an absolute blinder. And commiserations to anyone who's had to sit through one of the Marr solo albums recently. You deserve a medal.

Yes, Johnny Marr is really good at playing his own songs. Even better than when other people play them. Who knew!
But his song-writing skills are appalling these days. He hasn't got anywhere near the genius of Jesse Tobias's songs on 'Dog on a Chain' for decades. What would Marr give to be able to write something as gorgeous, dreamy and euphoric as Knockabout World, as chiming and melodic as My Hurling Days are Done, as crisp, adventurous and joyful as Once I Saw the River Clean. Whilst Marr just plods and plods.
Hats off to Jesse - he's played an absolute blinder. And commiserations to anyone who's had to sit through one of the Marr solo albums recently. You deserve a medal.
Steady on. I wouldn't call it genius, but he's exceeded my expectations this time round, I'll give you that.

I really like Knockabout World but it seems more people were happy to have sat through Johnnys last album than Morrissey's last 2 albums?

Last edited:
Hi everyone. Just checking in with you to do a commercial for my guitar. Hope everyone is alright. Johnny how about you just do these clips with your phone minus the sponsor? Still love him though.

Sorry Johnny but I already know where to put my fingers.

I think I know now, why Morrissey couldn't stick around. Johnny, ever the people's friend. The Smiths were only ever going to last for a limited duration because his band mates were simply not prepared to marginalise themselves for too long. I don't know whether this is current but if it is its a shame Marr is jumping in on the love-in brought about by this covid episode.
All celebrities are suffering from lack of exposure so they have to now lower themselves to the level of us humans to be seen. It's coming off as thin to say the least.

Clearly The Smiths had to be one part people pleaser, one part "who gives a shit?" for it to work. You're right that this recipe was never meant to last. They must've known something which is why they did so many albums in such little time.

Yeah, if only Johnny would raise his game by going onstage in a bikini, or perhaps wearing a classy "f*** the Guardian" T-shirt like Morrissey's hired goons. He'd look a lot better in a dress than Boz Boorer, too.

?
LePew would require a couple of baby :balloon::balloon:

All celebrities are suffering from lack of exposure so they have to now lower themselves to the level of us humans to be seen. It's coming off as thin to say the least.

Clearly The Smiths had to be one part people pleaser, one part "who gives a shit?" for it to work. You're right that this recipe was never meant to last. They must've known something which is why they did so many albums in such little time.
Johnny has proven himself to be a trend-whore time and time again. No surprise here. He saw other "celebrities" doing this kind of thing and just had to jump on. Next up on his agenda must be an uninspired ode to the NHS.

Yes Benny I'm doing very well, its a miracle we've made it this far....how are you coping with it all ?? I'm loving being off work to be fair, some early nights, and late morning's..... some late nights, and early morning's. Like everyone else life is crazy at the mo..... But I'm happy..... what's your crack big fella ??

I‘m working more then ever now.
When I’m not though I’ve dug out my dartboard and set it up in the garden.
Also taking advantage of living in the “sticks” doing lots of walking.
Did an 8 mile walk last Monday from my front door felt like the last man on earth.
Also passing time with little Benny having some guitar sessions. L B plays bass and is a massive fan of Joy Division and Peter Hook.
Gonna go and marinate some flesh now for a bbq later on.

Keep the faith and stay safe everyone.

?? :knife:

I‘m working more then ever now.
When I’m not though I’ve dug out my dartboard and set it up in the garden.
Also taking advantage of living in the “sticks” doing lots of walking.
Did an 8 mile walk last Monday from my front door felt like the last man on earth.
Also passing time with little Benny having some guitar sessions. L B plays bass and is a massive fan of Joy Division and Peter Hook.
Gonna go and marinate some flesh now for a bbq later on.

Keep the faith and stay safe everyone.

?? :knife:

Are going to the Peter Hook Apollo gig Benny? I'll be there with my youngest as she's into JD's music as well.

Are going to the Peter Hook Apollo gig Benny? I'll be there with my youngest as she's into JD's music as well.

Yes:thumb:
He got two tickets but didn’t have anyone in mind to take so I said I’d definitely like to go. Think it’s 30th Jan now.

??:knife:

I really like Knockabout World but it seems more people were happy to have sat through Johnnys last album than Morrissey's last 2 albums?

In terms of first week sales in the UK, Marr's last two albums sold more. But his total sales internationally won't have been anywhere near as high, even given Morrissey's crumbling fanbase.
I have enthusiasm for Marr generally - seen and enjoyed his solo shows a few times and bought the albums but they are painfully thin. The lack of musical diversity is ridiculous for a man of his talents, and listening to his cliched lyrics in a droney, monotone singing voice, sung in a fake American accent, is not many people's idea of fun. Most of his albums will be gathering dust on the shelves of those who bought them after 3 or 4 listens. Nice bloke, though, and a cracking guitar player.

I'm surprised if his first week UK sales are higher than Morrissey's but I haven't really checked so I believe you.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom