Johnny Marr wins lifetime achievement award - GQ magazine

44217_44216_1920.jpeg

Johnny Marr - Lifetime Achievement.

"As one of the founding members of The Smiths, Johnny Marr was responsible for reinventing guitar music for a new generation. And since then, it’s perhaps easier to list the artists he hasn’t collaborated with rather than the ones he has – no joke, there’s an entire Wikipedia page devoted to it, from Bryan Ferry to Paul McCartney, Talking Heads to The Pet Shop Boys."

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/gallery/gq-awards-2018-winners

2.38372256.jpg

Johnny Marr vows to never retire as he picks up GQ Award.

"The former Smiths guitarist said it would be a waste of his famous haircut if he were to call it a day in the music industry."

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/showbiz-tv/johnny-marr-vows-never-retire-15117215.amp?

Regards,
FWD.

UPDATE Sep. 7:

Video of acceptance speech posted by Zoinks:

He did thank the other Smiths. To be fair, I think if he mentioned Morrissey by name in this crowd, it might have gotten some boos.

Boy, does Kylie seem to really like him!

Last edited by a moderator:
Where is Morrisseys? (Correct me if he has one) Or even Alain Whyte?

Johhny played and composed guitar very well, but I think we all know who contributed the most to The Smiths. Maybe Johhny should get a backstabber award?

Nice to see for his smiths work alone but some of these collaborations are very iffy or even just misleading. The Paul McCartney collaboration didn’t lead to anything or produce any material. It was a session where the beatle gave him some advice. He toured with the pretenders and played on one single before getting into and argument with hynde and leaving

@ GQ You forgot to give Morrissey his Lifetime Achievement Award [edited]. Unless you think Marr composed and wrote the lyrics to every Smiths track all by himself?

Now for the hard part: Johnny Marr has recorded nothing of note since The Smiths split. Morrissey however, is still at the top of his game. There is no lyricist alive today that you could compare him to. Don't believe me? Go and listen to World Peace is None of Your Business, and Low in High School.

Last edited by a moderator:
@ GQ You forgot to give Morrissey his Man of the Year Award. Unless you think Marr composed and wrote the lyrics to every Smiths track all by himself?

Now for the hard part: Johnny Marr has recorded nothing of note since The Smiths split. Morrissey however, is still at the top of his game. There is no lyricist alive today that you could compare him to. Don't believe me? Go and listen to World Peace is None of Your Business, and Low in High School.

Ah, ok then!

"Morrissey
GQ's Solo Artist Of The Year, 2005."
https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/gallery/gq-awards-music-archive

https://gq-images.condecdn.net/image/0DLNKywDAoJ/crop/405/f/morrissey-gq-22aug18_simon-emmett_b.jpg

@ GQ You forgot to give Morrissey his Man of the Year Award. Unless you think Marr composed and wrote the lyrics to every Smiths track all by himself?

It's always good to do your homework so you don't look like a tit. Although that last sentence might still do it.

It's always good to do your homework so you don't look like a tit. Although that last sentence might still do it.

It isn't a Lifetime Achievement Award though! Tit!

And if you can post links to two current albums by the same artist that come close to Morrissey's last two, I'll tell Uncleskinnybob that I love him!!!

Before Johnny gets too excited GQ also announced David Lammy as politician of the year and he thinks Henry VII succeeded Henry VIII.

And if you can post links to two current albums by the same artist that come close to Morrissey's last two, I'll tell Uncleskinnybob that I love him!!!

Hmm! Maybe it was a Lifetime Achievement Award, and maybe I am a tit! Which makes 3 tits. "3 tits! That's awesome!"

But I'm still waiting for those two albums!

Perhaps if GQ decide to inaugurate a 'Lifetime Pissing on his Chips' award, Morrissey might be in with a chance?

Few have composed as much gorgeous music as Marr. I’m glad he won. Well deserved, to say the least.

I'd say these could artistically compete with anything on whirled peas and mediocre in middle school.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom