Johnny Marr wins lifetime achievement award - GQ magazine

44217_44216_1920.jpeg

Johnny Marr - Lifetime Achievement.

"As one of the founding members of The Smiths, Johnny Marr was responsible for reinventing guitar music for a new generation. And since then, it’s perhaps easier to list the artists he hasn’t collaborated with rather than the ones he has – no joke, there’s an entire Wikipedia page devoted to it, from Bryan Ferry to Paul McCartney, Talking Heads to The Pet Shop Boys."

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/gallery/gq-awards-2018-winners

2.38372256.jpg

Johnny Marr vows to never retire as he picks up GQ Award.

"The former Smiths guitarist said it would be a waste of his famous haircut if he were to call it a day in the music industry."

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/showbiz-tv/johnny-marr-vows-never-retire-15117215.amp?

Regards,
FWD.

UPDATE Sep. 7:

Video of acceptance speech posted by Zoinks:

He did thank the other Smiths. To be fair, I think if he mentioned Morrissey by name in this crowd, it might have gotten some boos.

Boy, does Kylie seem to really like him!

Last edited by a moderator:
Totes agree. Johnny Marr may have talent and have contributed to some notable work, but he's not an artist on the level of MORRISSEY.

#GoVegan
Yes, and without Marr, Morrissey could have fronted Wall of Voodoo or been the next Limahl with 50% more word power. A lot of music was dire in 1982. Without Morrissey, Marr would have elevated whatever band he chose to play with. It happened to be The Smiths, it was good. He's not a singer on the level of Morrissey, but he's a guitarist in the ranks of the immortals. So define art and artist, sweetie, darling.

Screen Shot 2018-09-10 at 12.35.21 PM.png

Same rule applies to Morrissey.

Awards are for Aerosmith.

I got a local award for some music biz stuff and accepted it but I generally, hypocritically, agree with you.

On the big scale, once you've made it you don't need it. I love Johnny but you can't help feel that the latest wave of adulation has got to him a bit.

Like when Corbyn first stroke lucky he seemed quite admirable but now you can feel he's too much in love with the adulation. Same goes for Johnny.

As Freddie once sang, too much love will kill you, I think he was singing about something else but the point stands for Johnny.

I got a local award for some music biz stuff and accepted it but I generally, hypocritically, agree with you.

On the big scale, once you've made it you don't need it. I love Johnny but you can't help feel that the latest wave of adulation has got to him a bit.

Like when Corbyn first stroke lucky he seemed quite admirable but now you can feel he's too much in love with the adulation. Same goes for Johnny.
We agree. I do feel a tad sorry for Corbyn though with the dirty campaign to oust him and replace him with a Blaitite so that Labour and Tory can be truly one again. He's one of the few old-schoolers that isn't in it for the money - I heard his expense account for the year was six quid. Politics is certainly a dirty business.

As Freddie once sang, too much love will kill you, I think he was singing about something else but the point stands for Johnny.

So thats where you were,
accepting a local music biz award.:rolleyes: Muslim music I gather, over at the Mosque.:lbf:
Adulation? DramaJ made 0 :moneybag: from all the adulation. Has to wear vinyl clothes the poor inhabitant.:bellcancel:

Yes, and without Marr, Morrissey could have fronted Wall of Voodoo or been the next Limahl with 50% more word power. A lot of music was dire in 1982. Without Morrissey, Marr would have elevated whatever band he chose to play with. It happened to be The Smiths, it was good. He's not a singer on the level of Morrissey, but he's a guitarist in the ranks of the immortals. So define art and artist, sweetie, darling.

View attachment 45742

O yes, :handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: is a regular elevator.:lbf:
Hes more of a:anchor:. Comet didnt elevate went straight:handpointdown:

Johnny would have made it eventually - he was invited to join The The in 1980, wasn't he? Most of his friends went on to have moderate musical success, Billy Duffy joined The Cult, Simon Wolstencroft joined The Fall, etc. Morrissey's friends... well, Ludus and Raymonde never set the world on fire.

Johnny would have made it eventually - he was invited to join The The in 1980, wasn't he? Most of his friends went on to have moderate musical success, Billy Duffy joined The Cult, Simon Wolstencroft joined The Fall, etc. Morrissey's friends... well, Ludus and Raymonde never set the world on fire.
That's what I'm saying. The Smiths worked and catapulted Morrissey to a higher level because they were so lush and intricate, and didn't sound 80s at all. Picture the sensitive types that would be attracted to a personality like Morrissey's in those days. He's lucky he didn't end up singing This Charming Man over a keytar and a set of Casio drum pads.

Yes, yes, and Low in High School pooped its pants the first day of its Freshman year.

Define art and artist.

You could make an argument that:handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: +:bird: Swallow Tat + vinyl costumes:dancer:= Performance art.
Poor performance art but performance art nevertheless. Like Yoko Ono art.doh:

Who the f*** are you talking to and wtf are you talking about?

WtF? do you have any cognition? Do you live underground like a raccoon?

Its the talk of the forum for a week now, Drama J:rolleyes: The :frogface: with the:bird: tattoo on the neck:seedling:

So thats where you were,
accepting a local music biz award.:rolleyes: Muslim music I gather, over at the Mosque.:lbf:
Adulation? DramaJ made 0 :moneybag: from all the adulation. Has to wear vinyl clothes the poor inhabitant.:bellcancel:
British people call their local pub (public house) their "local". Maybe he meant he got the award down at his local pub?

Charlie Cheswick lifetime achievement award for trolling music forums. He won five scratch cards and a communist party members book.

You in music sounds so weird and you must have promoted some really negative bands and artists or something or some club with Marx on the wall.

Awards are given in this fashion when people are old enough for other people to want them rid of so an award is the perfect way to gently beg them to fook off.
But some take it the wrong way and it makes them so happy they release 15 albums in the process.

I know now!

You stood behind the bar at some indie joint didn't ya?

You called people names and spat in their faces and randomly saluted Stalin but with a Hitler salute to make it all weird and freaky. Then you went to The City Ground with the yobs and had a right old go in the away end and it was marvellous until you met your wife to be Martha who put you in your place and made you shut up by stuffing your face with Yorkshire pudding.

You escaped to the internet for relief.

Johnny won a Lifetime Achievement Award from "Q" some years ago in 2007 - he thanked "Matt Johnson, Bernard Sumner, Modest Mouse, whoever else.." first then too.

"Q" magazine is a music magazine. It is different to "GQ" magazine.

Johnny Marr thanks his wife Angie Marr here too. He also thanks Joe Moss (who died), Kirsty (maybe he is talking about Kirsty MacColl who was killed?), Matt Johnson (from 'The The'), Bernard Sumner (from 'Electronic'), 'Modest Mouse'.... This was all before he said "Whoever else; Morrissey and the rest of The Smiths.... "

At least back in 2007 he did mention Morrissey by name.

Was Jonathan Ross at that award ceremony in 2007? I thought I could hear him laugh.

Apart from Kirsty MacColl (RIP), Chrissie Hynde and Noel Gallagher. Does Johnny Marr share any other mutual friends with Morrissey?

British people call their local pub (public house) their "local". Maybe he meant he got the award down at his local pub?

Possibly. He claims he drives many many kilometers every day to find a suitable 'pub' that carries Muslims.
He may have obtained the 'local prize' there.:turban::trophy::turban: Maybe he won it for not knowing what publishing royos are. :lbf:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom