Johnny Rogan Dies (February 12, 2021)

image.jpg

Johnny Rogan, leading music biographer, dies, aged 67 - The Irish Times

"London Irish writer was famous for his attention to detail and clash with Morrissey"

Excerpt:

"Johnny Rogan, the London Irish music writer best known for his biographies of the Byrds, Neil Young, the Smiths, Van Morrison and Ray Davies, has died at his London home. He was 67.

The author of more than 25 books on music, by far his most successful was Morrissey & Marr: The Severed Alliance, a book about the Smiths published in 1992 five years after the band’s break-up which prompted Morrissey to say: “I hope Johnny Rogan ends his days very soon in an M3 pile-up.”"

Regards,
FWD.

My brother went to his book signing for The Severed Alliance in Dublin back in the 90's. He signed it 'To (my brother's name), thanks for being here."
Maybe he wrote the same thing for everyone but I thought it was a nice thing to say.

I wouldn’t always believe Morrissey and Marr, they have their legacy to protect.
They must have told some porkies along the way.
Trust well Baz, got an email today Moz army at the star put back a year so the grey goose and sausage rolls are on ice.....

Trust well Baz, got an email today Moz army at the star put back a year so the grey goose and sausage rolls are on ice.....
Yes I’m fine,
That’s a shame , was looking forward to a mad weekend,
God knows I think we all are...
Thanks for the update,
You ok????
Having a few Stella tonight????
I’ve got 4 cans of Guinness in the fridge that I can’t be bothered with.
Will keep for tomorrow I suppose 😃

Yes I’m fine,
That’s a shame , was looking forward to a mad weekend,
God knows I think we all are...
Thanks for the update,
You ok????
Having a few Stella tonight????
I’ve got 4 cans of Guinness in the fridge that I can’t be bothered with.
Will keep for tomorrow I suppose 😃
Sound, yes bit of a disappointment but half expected it, thought it may be just put back a bit.
Could have done with a Oliver Reed weekend 😉
I like a Guinness now and again have to be in the mood for it nice change though.
The Villa are on the box tomorrow so will get some auntie Stella in for that 👍

Sound, yes bit of a disappointment but half expected it, thought it may be just put back a bit.
Could have done with a Oliver Reed weekend 😉
I like a Guinness now and again have to be in the mood for it nice change though.
The Villa are on the box tomorrow so will get some auntie Stella in for that 👍
Oliver Reid weekend......that sounds even better😎
I’ve just cancelled my sports channels, was paying £82 a month.

Really enjoyed as well, only picked it up recently. "Save Us Morrissey" by Jared Morris is really worth getting hold of if you can, it's on Amazon. 👍
Huh! Haven’t heard of that one, but I’m definitely going to look it up! Cheers man.

Oliver Reid weekend......that sounds even better😎
I’ve just cancelled my sports channels, was paying £82 a month.
it will come mate 👌
yes I know it's expensive. Once I can go to the home games I will cancel.
my brother has a dodgy box probably imported from Chernobyl. He can get everything for a fraction of the cost. But last time I went up there it said on the sports report Birmingham city had won at home, so I can only assume it's months behind the rest of us 😀

I got excited for a moment and thought it said Joe Rogan had died.

Soon enough he, like Moz, will cease to exist and the world will be better.

Sad news. He used to ring me up in the early 90s and I helped him correct some errors in the first run and add additional bits and pieces for the paperback. I liked him. He was a kind, generous man who came across as a genuine fan and not cynical at all. I think the book actually helped cement The Smiths legacy post-breakup.

At the time, it was a hugely important book in terms of cracking open some of the self-mythologizing of Moz and the band. Looking at it now however, it's clearly an unbalanced piece - there's some good stuff in it, but it's also full of unsupported speculation, half-truths and people with axes to grind. It's a good story, but I suspect the closest we'll get to whatever 'the truth' of the band actually was, is Tony Fletcher's book.

Whatever, Morrissey will be celebrating tonight.

Sad news. He used to ring me up in the early 90s and I helped him correct some errors in the first run and add additional bits and pieces for the paperback. I liked him. He was a kind, generous man who came across as a genuine fan and not cynical at all. I think the book actually helped cement The Smiths legacy post-breakup.
God, don’t let Morrissey know who you really are: you’ll be on the banned list.

I have a similar story as yours. He did rely on some important fans to work some things out. He was never mean to me, but he was not a fan of the band by any stretch of the imagination. I actually gave Morrissey a copy of the book (Severed Alliance) at the New York instore. The inside was burned out and hollowed.................................................

At the time, it was a hugely important book in terms of cracking open some of the self-mythologizing of Moz and the band. Looking at it now however, it's clearly an unbalanced piece - there's some good stuff in it, but it's also full of unsupported speculation, half-truths and people with axes to grind. It's a good story, but I suspect the closest we'll get to whatever 'the truth' of the band actually was, is Tony Fletcher's book.

Whatever, Morrissey will be celebrating tonight.

Tony Fletcher's book is drivel.

Morrissey and Johnny Marr probably have good reason to dislike Johnny Rogan's books we don't know the full story.

Andy Rourke loves Johnny Rogan and was probably a personal friend of his. He must be upset about his passing. Andy Rourke has been very supportive of authors of books written about The Smiths and Morrissey.

Probably Mike Joyce is upset about the death of Johnny Rogan. I'm not sure what his views on him are though.

Writing about someone is intrusive, so I don't blame anyone for getting narky about it.

Plus - I still regret reading Albert Goldman's book about John Lennon. Put me off the Beatles for ages just because it was so sordid. And there was no point - Lennon was dead & it's the songs that go on.

with a title like "the severed alliance" how could anyone possibly think the book was sensationalist. :rolleyes:

I have a similar story as yours. He did rely on some important fans to work some things out. He was never mean to me, but he was not a fan of the band by any stretch of the imagination.

I'm surprised to hear that he wasn't a fan after writing multiple books on the subject. Just curious what might have motivated him in that case?

Last edited:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom