Johnny Rogan Dies (February 12, 2021)

image.jpg

Johnny Rogan, leading music biographer, dies, aged 67 - The Irish Times

"London Irish writer was famous for his attention to detail and clash with Morrissey"

Excerpt:

"Johnny Rogan, the London Irish music writer best known for his biographies of the Byrds, Neil Young, the Smiths, Van Morrison and Ray Davies, has died at his London home. He was 67.

The author of more than 25 books on music, by far his most successful was Morrissey & Marr: The Severed Alliance, a book about the Smiths published in 1992 five years after the band’s break-up which prompted Morrissey to say: “I hope Johnny Rogan ends his days very soon in an M3 pile-up.”"

Regards,
FWD.

Found the Marr is aggressive quote -

he was very aggressive. I could see this was someone who was going to get things done quickly.

Hot Press, May, 1984

So true. He started and ended the Smiths, often carrying the whole enterprise forward on his slender shoulders. And now, once again, the entire legacy of the Smiths rests with him. He can't afford a misstep.

:crazy:
FFS he only had one :guitar: same on every song one of the reasons
Moz gave him the
200.webp

since then he has been fired by group after group. same problem one sucky :guitar: and suco songs.
Modest Mose, the Cribs; some he lasted for but one song.(n)

constantly making suco songs. suco cometic songs:censored:

Found the Marr is aggressive quote -

he was very aggressive. I could see this was someone who was going to get things done quickly.

Hot Press, May, 1984

Yes, like barge into Rough Trade Records and get the Smiths a record deal!

Well, yes. That's the kind of thing we were talking about on another thread - might have been the frink. I've forgotten.

It's always nice to think a complete stranger somehow knows everything about you. Are you a mind-reader or just really thick?
This from a man who judges entire communities by the religion they follow.

Like I said, low intellect. It gushes out of every post you write.

:rolleyes:

WTF??? that tiny twat :handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: cant barge in anywhere, for one hed bounce off the door.:bowing: for another, they would
toss him outo_O
images

I remember purchasing this book as a fallow 17 year old. I'd missed the last days of The Smiths and the book was like manna from heaven for someone like me who'd been ripe for the plucking from 14 or 15. Although I took some of the stories of Morrissey's youth with the required pinch of salt, with the benefit of hindsight maybe I should have been more 'malodorous'. (I'm sure you'll get that reference).
And then Morrissey released Your Arsenal. Heady days indeed.

Johnny Rogan's obituary in the Guardian

Johnny Rogan's obituary in the Guardian

He sounds quite similar to Morrissey - likes his own space & alone time.

A whole year without speaking to anyone though!!!! That's dedicated.

Johnny was a close friend of mine and I wrote the Guardian obituary. For anyone who's interested, a long version appears on my blog: https://justbackdated.blogspot.com/2021/02/johnny-rogan-1953-2021.html
Really enjoyed this - had a quick look on your website and can see you've interviewed music royalty, I bet you've got some great stories! Anything fun or surprising to share about Lennon or McCartney? I love Paul Simon's work but he has a bit of a reputation as a difficult person - I wonder what you thought of him? Just curious.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom