Julian Cope

ringrosso

Throbbing Member
I'm a fan of the Archdrude Julian Cope...there I said it.

Phew! - Never knew coming out would be so cathartic. :guitar:

have you read his 'Head On/Repossessed' biography.
Really wouldn't fancy being one of his friends! - he poo'd in someone's shower and then wrote about it!!! yeuch.

He can write the odd fine tune though!:thumb:

Big fan here, mostly Teardrop Explodes and first few albums, up to around St Julian. Not the hippy stuff:eek:
Saw him at Nottingham's Rescue rooms 4 years ago, was a strange night....five minute talks between songs about rocks and other eco things and then hey presto...ran out of time!:eek:

Jukebox Jury

have you read his 'Head On/Repossessed' biography.
Really wouldn't fancy being one of his friends! - he poo'd in someone's shower and then wrote about it!!! yeuch.

He can write the odd fine tune though!:thumb:

Yeah, I've read all his books. Hehe he pushed the poo down the plug hole with his toe. He is a crazy missed up individual but I love him :lbf:

Big fan here, mostly Teardrop Explodes and first few albums, up to around St Julian. Not the hippy stuff:eek:
Saw him at Nottingham's Rescue rooms 4 years ago, was a strange night....five minute talks between songs about rocks and other eco things and then hey presto...ran out of time!:eek:

Jukebox Jury

My fandom runs much deeper JJ :blushing: His first few albums are the business though - World Shut Your Mouth and Fried are awesome. Jehovahkill is probably my favourite of all but he has sooooo many cool tunes in his backcatalogue I could go on all day.

I too was at the gig at the Rescue Rooms, hehehehe pretty standard fair as I recall - I've seen him many, many, many times :o

I am a huge fan of the great man too. He truly is an artist on a singular prophetic trip. Do you buy his albums from his website? I thought that Black Sheep was hsi best work in ages. Saw hime live on the Jehovakill tour and it was a simply stunning show. Check this link out: http://bigboxoftapes.blogspot.com/2009/09/julian-cope-assembly-rooms-derby-uk-8th.html

:thumb: Yep, I'm a regular on the merchandiser. I've got all his albums, and there's quite a few if you include Teardrops, QE2, Brain Donor, Black Sheep, LAMF as well as the solo stuff. The Black Sheep stuff is great. I got the Christoph F album around the time of Floored Genius 4 and that's great too.

He gets onto some interestings 'trips', and I confess I don't always get it - but he makes a lot of sense the rest of the time so I just go with it - after all that's Julian for you. It's a cliche but he IS nuts.

I'm gonna check your link out now!

Oh I love him!

I even like the 'hippy stuff'- there used to be a great video of 'Beautiful Love' on youtube, complete with dolphins, but it must have been taken down. :D

Last edited:
I too was at the gig at the Rescue Rooms, hehehehe pretty standard fair as I recall - I've seen him many, many, many times :o

Nice one.
It was absolutely heaving. I had to watch the gig facing side on because i couldn't twist my body round to face the stage (and NO.... not because my beer belly was too large:().

We all knew in advance on the tickets that the show ''Must end at 10pm'' as there was a night club starting at immediately after.....

So Cope kept waffling and waffling and eventually a roadie (I think) shouts out ''get on with it there is only 15 minutes left'' and he's like ''What? It's only 9.45'' and then the bouncer at the front confirms it and a few hits (World Shut Your Mouth etc) were quickly belted out.

First saw him at Manchester's 'International 2' 1987 (ish) on the 'St Julian' tour.

Jukebox Jury

he pops up to glasgow frequently and can be found staying in the same apartments as my mate Jill. Stalkers can PM me for the address. :thumb:

What?! I have NEVER seen him on the streets of Glasgow!! I am gutted!

I would like to add to this thread - his gigs are some of the best I have been too especially when he gets carried away telling stories! In fact I think when he did the book tour for Head On and he got to just talk he seemed his most comfortable, I would love to see him do that more often...

JC for PM:thumb:

I've met him quite a few times at gigs, talks and book signings.

I remember I saw him once at Avebury too, when I was on holiday. As it happens it was on the same day as I'd bought the original Southpaw Grammar CD in 95.

Back
Top Bottom