Just how true is this story?

bredbasket

The following is transcribed from a Tumblr post from a user named "wsswatson":

"OKAY SO i don't have absolute proof that this is true because it's what my lecturer told me that his friend who was friends with the smiths told him BUT apparently the night johnny left, morrissey went home and made a cake with loads of sleeping pills and ate it and then called johnny and said that he'd done it and APPARENTLY he told johnny that he was in love with him and asked him to come to see him before he died but johnny called an ambulance instead which gives so much more meaning to "i know i took strange pills but i never meant to hurt you" and makes sense with what what stephen street said in that morrissey: from where he came to where he went documentary about them worrying about him ending his life but it's so so heartbreaking so i really hope it ISN'T true, also i very nearly started crying in my lecturer's office when he told me this"

How true is this story? Could it even be true? Nothing more than a fan fiction story perhaps?

The following is transcribed from a Tumblr post from a user named "wsswatson":

"OKAY SO i don't have absolute proof that this is true because it's what my lecturer told me that his friend who was friends with the smiths told him BUT apparently the night johnny left, morrissey went home and made a cake with loads of sleeping pills and ate it and then called johnny and said that he'd done it and APPARENTLY he told johnny that he was in love with him and asked him to come to see him before he died but johnny called an ambulance instead which gives so much more meaning to "i know i took strange pills but i never meant to hurt you" and makes sense with what what stephen street said in that morrissey: from where he came to where he went documentary about them worrying about him ending his life but it's so so heartbreaking so i really hope it ISN'T true, also i very nearly started crying in my lecturer's office when he told me this"

How true is this story? Could it even be true? Nothing more than a fan fiction story perhaps?
young moz doesnt strike me as a man who would eat a whole cake. thats the most implausible part of the story. i imagine he wouldve just taken the pills.

That isn't true. It all falls down on the 'Morrissey went home and made a cake part'.
Now if it was Morrissey went home and made some toast ......
Sorry not trying to be flippant but there is no truth in that.

That isn't true. It all falls down on the 'Morrissey went home and made a cake part'.
Now if it was Morrissey went home and made some toast ......
Sorry not trying to be flippant but there is no truth in that.
I was just going to say the same. Morrissey making a cake????

I'm calling bollocks... I think if there were any truth to it we would have heard about it years ago.

OKAY SO i don't have absolute proof that this is true because it's what my lecturer told me that his friend who was friends with the smiths told him BUT..

:lbf:doh:

Sounds like a story invented to portray Moz as even more co-dependent and emotionally abusive than he's usually painted when it comes to the end of the Smiths. Trying to manipulate someone into coming back by threatening suicide... nah. Some years ago he said, "I don't argue with people, I never, never plead and I never cry. What's the point?" - interview here.

Sounds like a story invented to portray Moz as even more co-dependent and emotionally abusive than he's usually painted when it comes to the end of the Smiths. Trying to manipulate someone into coming back by threatening suicide... nah. Some years ago he said, "I don't argue with people, I never, never plead and I never cry. What's the point?" - interview here.

We all know he doesn't tell the truth to the press. Remember "We didn't like each other"? Because he insists he doesn't plead or cry, I think this is exactly what he did.

Speaking of truth.
This 'story' comes from uncertain roots itself.
Johnny sends round Grant Showbiz 'out of concern'
Yet, no post-suicide attempt noted and Showbiz went round and remarks about cups of 'tea'.
Sandie Shaw said he was 'disheveled and worry-laden' post-Smiths ending, Johnny was worried etc...
Morrissey gave an interview (years later) saying he felt depressed at that time - spin it all over and over = speculation bingo.
The intervening factor between taking pills/ambulances & looking depressed/cups of tea is probably word-of-mouth & pass it ons not actual facts.
That and almost zero mention ever by anyone remotely close to the people concerned apart from a Tumblr post.
Kind of writes itself really - it doesn't even need the 3rd or 4th hand 'I heard off this guy, who heard off this guy' bit really.
Pinch of salt.
FWD.

We all know he doesn't tell the truth to the press. Remember "We didn't like each other"? Because he insists he doesn't plead or cry, I think this is exactly what he did.
Yeah, I can see that. I remember him being described as 'not so much crying but swooning', maybe in the same doc. He does seems quite honest about other things in the interview I posted, though. It's the only time I've seen him say he was angry about the Smiths split. "I wondered what it was in his life he was replacing The Smiths with. Or, more importantly, replacing me with. I still don't know. To this day, I don't know."

Well, whatever the truth of the original story, Alan Bennett recounted in one of his diaries that they swapped vegan cakes one Christmas and that baking “seemed to be his only vice…”

Well, whatever the truth of the original story, Alan Bennett recounted in one of his diaries that they swapped vegan cakes one Christmas and that baking “seemed to be his only vice…”
Didn't you forget an "r" somewhere.
Kidding! haha. Baking is great. I'm a virtue anyway.

Tags
1987 johnny marr short story
Back
Top Bottom