Kevin Cummins: "Morrissey: Alone and Palely Loitering" hardback due September 2018

As mentioned by 'anon' in the SER website thread - here are further details:
(book image is lousy on Amazon).

42184_cummins_2018.jpg

Initial Waterstones link from anon:
https://www.waterstones.com/book/morrissey/kevin-cummins/9781788400237
Blackwells:
https://blackwells.co.uk/bookshop/product/Morrissey-by-Kevin-Cummins/9781788400237
More detailed Amazon links:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1788400232/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1788400232/
c36ebfd1929335e0f79cf411d1967cde--kevin-oleary-cummins.jpg

150+ photographs in a 'coffee table' book.
256 pages.
Regards,
FWD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reckon bull ox m8! Reckon no photos of the Kill Uncle Tour. Linder Sterling already did it and I never saw one fooking residual from being in a San Diego photo. I really hope we get to see the real Steve..you know...drinking coffee with Aunt Nancy at Caffe Luxxe, drinking an Orange Julius with lil' Sammy at the Glendale Galleria, eating burritos at Los Panchos, at the Dodger game with Snoopy Dog and David Beckham, and of course The Sunset Marquis.

Just in Nissan commercials. How soon is now? was used in an ad campaign in the early 2000's. Minus the vocals.

Well done SE. I should have known nothing gets passed those with a big nose who knows. Yes, I was aware of this, but still like you said Morrissey's voice was sans commercial spot. To drill down...was it the band or the record company that made that choice? One of the many things that may have added to his hatred of music executives. My hazy memory of the event was that Johnny may have had a hand in it, but I am certainly not sure. A lot of things can be said about Moz and most of them are probably true, but a sell out he is not other than maybe mugs and t-shirts.

I get the impression that he holds his notebook close to his chest as well he should. It is show business after all, and once the art is disseminated into the public arena who knows what fate has in store for it. If I ever do hear his voice overlayed on a commercial advert, I would be completely shocked and truly disappointed.

Reckon bull ox m8! Reckon no photos of the Kill Uncle Tour. Linder Sterling already did it and I never saw one fooking residual from being in a San Diego photo. I really hope we get to see the real Steve..you know...drinking coffee with Aunt Nancy at Caffe Luxxe, drinking an Orange Julius with lil' Sammy at the Glendale Galleria, eating burritos at Los Panchos, at the Dodger game with Snoopy Dog and David Beckham, and of course The Sunset Marquis.

Aztec you are one crazy dude but you really have a way of capturing the insane. I am more curious about pictures of him eating pasta in his Malibu beach house and whether you were there. My mind reels around the fountain every time I read your posts.

Another Sheffield City Hall shot (where he looks more like Joyce!) is followed, on the final wall, by Morrissey waiting for a bullet train, Morrissey whistling at a Japanese soundcheck and then in concert at Long Island July 1991.

The next corker is this one ~

english-singer-and-lyricist-morrissey-performing-at-the-garden-state-picture-id720901785

~ it's another monochrome live shot from the New Jersey 1991 show where Moz is balanced with one DM atop his vocal monitor, open mouthed, arms outstretched, glittering shirt ripped into strips, like a ravaged angel falling to earth or an erotic (scarred!) Icarus attempting to loose the bonds of same. I loved the triple reflection of the 2 Harvey's gaping gobs (backdrop & drum riser) with Moz's open mouth.

Another classic live shot follows, of Moz at Long Island 10th of July 1991 ~

english-singer-and-lyricist-morrissey-performing-at-jones-beach-long-picture-id85373591

~ what I love about this shot is what appeals about the best shots of Moz in concert, especially Linder's, which is the innate surreality of certain shots. If you came to this cold you could think what is going on here? What can this possibly mean? Is this man ill? Why is there a wrapped gift next to him? The strange and beguiling power of a Morrssey concert just exudes from these prints.

Another old classic which brings back memories is next; Moz in his Dublin debut, crouching at stage front ~

199104-dublin_2500823k.jpg

~ this just takes me back to reading that first 'NME' rave review, and the start of a wonderful year. But in terms of the image ~ who is reaching out to whom? And what are they all seeking? And that single, small, intact flower kills me every time I see it....

Next along are 6 tattoed fans , which are very nice, but....
Back to On The (Dublin) Buses fun with Moz coming on all Clippie; 'Full Up'? ~

english-singer-and-lyricist-morrissey-boarding-a-bus-in-dublin-at-the-picture-id720901797

~ the gallery print reveals a mystery face peeking out of one of the windows.

Next is Johnny in his Bowdon home in February 1989 looking like the saddest boy in Bowdon that winter...or second saddest maybes ~

former-smiths-guitarist-johnny-marr-5th-february-1989-picture-id114519027

~ Joyce & Lil backstage at Woverhampton get a spot for some reason, and then we have Moz on the steps in Koln with the quizzical German child, which is just sweetness incarnate. But also winningly surreal.

A tried and true classic is up next with the 'Penis is mightier than the sword' shot backstage at the Budokan. Every nuance of that defiant and deadpan gaze is revealed in this print. Words and image combining exquisitely ~

english-singer-morrissey-standing-in-front-of-a-sign-reading-penis-picture-id93348376

A final unseen gem is up next, another from the Dublin April 1991 soundcheck, the front view of the shot of Morrissey's glittery back featured on the first wall. This is another that I would kill to have. Moz has his right arm firmly braced on the rail of a barrier, his left hand rammed in his denim pocket and he's leaning slightly toward the camera. His face is simply beaming and glowing, partly from the stage lights he's gazing toward, partly from pride and giddy excitement. He looks like a Hollywood star of the golden age, more than a hint of Monty Clift I thought, in a candid moment. The juxtaposition of the braced muscles of his right arm with the draped and graceful golden glitter of the fabric of his t-shirt was...thrilling :)

0601c2a708a60fab005cd9aafa0ef871.jpg

The last shot of the exhibit is of Morrissey backstage in Koln, head resting on fist ~

english-singer-and-lyricist-morrissey-cologne-germany-may-1991-picture-id84921909

~ the definition on this print is the best in the whole show. It literally looks like Morrissey is there in front of you. The detail is truly spooky. Every pore, every hair is there. The texture of the denim threads is vivid, as is the shine of the leather chair. As a consequence of this fidelity the gaze is utterly beguiling. Moz looks like the cat that's got the cream. As well as the power of the resolution and greyscale, there is also the power of the composition, with Morrissey angled and slashed across the full diagonal of the frame, with those piercing eyes right at the centre of the image. Stunning.

Oh Manchester; So much to answer for indeed... "

THE best series of posts I've seen in a long time. Bravo!

Five years back Kevin Cummins had an exhibition...snipped for screen space...
Wonderfully descriptive & observed comments.
I came away with the boxset of postcards by Cummins in the same time period and they were wonderful:
https://site.politecards.com/products/morrissey-the-smiths
They have long since sold out (Joy Division ones were excellent too).
I do enjoy his work.
Your comment about Blackpool reminded me of Viz Comic's observation: 'the seagulls fly upside-down there as it's not worth shitting on' :)
Regards,
FWD.

Last edited:
Wonderfully descriptive & observed comments.
I came away with the boxset of postcards by Cummins in the same time period and they were wonderful:
https://site.politecards.com/products/morrissey-the-smiths
They have long since sold out (Joy Division ones were excellent too).
I do enjoy his work.
Blackpool always reminds me of Viz Comic's observation: 'the seagulls fly upside-down there as it's not worth shitting on' :)
Regards,
FWD.

Cheers FWD; í am hoping that this new tome differs substantially from his "Smiths and Beyond". Should do, as it's double the size and in the fifteen years (blimey!) since that collection was released, KC appears to have sorted out his archive.

Kind of hoping that it focuses more on the initial solo years, rather than his Smiths shots, as í think that was when photographer and subject did their finest work together.
And the title, if a little flowery, does perfectly describe '88 ~ '91.

My one Moz/Blackpool memory is of a capacity Empress Ballroom crowd holding their breath whilst Moz stormed off stage having got chewing gum stuck to his shoe. Probably Bernie Clifton's Juicy Fruit.
Miraculously, Moz returned and finished the show...

Well done SE. I should have known nothing gets passed those with a big nose who knows. Yes, I was aware of this, but still like you said Morrissey's voice was sans commercial spot. To drill down...was it the band or the record company that made that choice? One of the many things that may have added to his hatred of music executives. My hazy memory of the event was that Johnny may have had a hand in it, but I am certainly not sure. A lot of things can be said about Moz and most of them are probably true, but a sell out he is not other than maybe mugs and t-shirts.

I get the impression that he holds his notebook close to his chest as well he should. It is show business after all, and once the art is disseminated into the public arena who knows what fate has in store for it. If I ever do hear his voice overlayed on a commercial advert, I would be completely shocked and truly disappointed.

I'll have you nose that my know is perfectly sized, thank you very much! :thumb:

My also hazy memory is that Johnny did sign off on the use and got paid, bitches!

The ad was most likely never going to include any singing since that isn't really the cache of HSIN to the ears of the typical mainstream listener. It's all about the "edgy sound". So Moz was left completely out of it and was unaware until it was released. He obviously was not keen on it.

I can't recall the details on the Pepe jeans ad. It was produced in the late '80s. I seem to remember it being mentioned in one of the Smiths books. Maybe the same deal. Johnny just agreed to it after exiting the band, because in his eyes, why not? Payday time.

Once again, there is no OJ at the Glendale mall.

Forget the pop star status, Morrissey is a pinup. I mean it in a good way. He really is one of the most handsome man around.

La Belle Dame sans Merci
John Keats (1819)

O what can ail thee, knight-at-arms,
Alone and palely loitering?
The sedge has withered from the lake,
And no birds sing.

O what can ail thee, knight-at-arms,
So haggard and so woe-begone?
The squirrel’s granary is full,
And the harvest’s done.

I see a lily on thy brow,
With anguish moist and fever-dew,
And on thy cheeks a fading rose
Fast withereth too.

I met a lady in the meads,
Full beautiful, a fairy’s child;
Her hair was long, her foot was light,
And her eyes were wild.

I made a garland for her head,
And bracelets too, and fragrant zone;
She looked at me as she did love,
And made sweet moan

I set her on my pacing steed,
And nothing else saw all day long,
For sidelong would she bend, and sing
A faery’s song.

She found me roots of relish sweet,
And honey wild, and manna-dew,
And sure in language strange she said—
‘I love thee true’.

She took me to her Elfin grot,
And there she wept and sighed full sore,
And there I shut her wild, wild eyes
With kisses four.

And there she lullèd me asleep,
And there I dreamed—Ah! woe betide!—
The latest dream I ever dreamt
On the cold hill side.

I saw pale kings and princes too,
Pale warriors, death-pale were they all;
They cried—‘La Belle Dame sans Merci
Hath thee in thrall!’

I saw their starved lips in the gloam,
With horrid warning gapèd wide,
And I awoke and found me here,
On the cold hill’s side.

And this is why I sojourn here,
Alone and palely loitering,
Though the sedge is withered from the lake,
And no birds sing.

I'll have you nose that my know is perfectly sized, thank you very much! :thumb:

I can't recall the details on the Pepe jeans ad. It was produced in the late '80s.

Pepe jeans! :eek:

I have no idea what these are. The US is solidly Levi country so I am at a loss. A lot of bad output came in the late 80's until grunge came along to act as a palate cleanser so to speak. Just so long as I don't hear Stretch out and Wait used in a Yoga advert or There is a Light over a lamp store ad I'll be fine. :D

Pepe jeans! :eek:

I have no idea what these are. The US is solidly Levi country so I am at a loss. A lot of bad output came in the late 80's until grunge came along to act as a palate cleanser so to speak. Just so long as I don't hear Stretch out and Wait used in a Yoga advert or There is a Light over a lamp store ad I'll be fine. :D

Yeah, I did that on purpose. A liitle wordplay. Figured you'd appreciate the silliness of it. Well, didya?

The Pepe ad is posted up thread by Peppermint.

Last edited:
Yeah, I did that on purpose. A liitle wordplay. Figured you'd appreciate the silliness of it. Well, didya?

The Pepe ad is posted up thread by Amy.

I did. If you are still here I would like to know why you go at KS so hard. She is certainly herself, but she is just putting forth what she feels about Morrissey in the way she is comfortable with. I find it hard to drill down on others voicing an opinion even if I think it is completely misguided. Just curious what sets you off regarding her. If you are comfortable discussing. I am just trying to learn like the computer in War Games. :)

Fabulous series of posts - and pics - Joe, thanks muchly for sharing. Although I can't help wondering whether this was the exact moment Andy learned he was only getting 10%.

You're well-comely P.

Thank You too for a most enjoyable week-end; í had a FILTHY & DEPRAVED long listening session a-new to The Smiths & Morrissey..'Stretch Out and Wait', 'Lucky Lisp', Etc. :thumb:

Glad to be of service, Joe :lbf: Some people seem a bit cross with my interpretations. I would like to point out that I didn't write this stuff, it's Morrissey who has the filthy mind :) But, you know, I think that's the beauty of Morrissey's lyrics, they are open to interpretation. And if some people want to believe a 'reel around the fountain' means chasing your loved one around an ornamental water feature, who am I to argue? ;)

Last edited:

Picked this up to-day. At the end of the KC interview they list his new Moz book and publication date. The promo push begins NOW...

Otherwise, a fairly pathetic 'celebration' of the art of rock photography. Some of the inclusions/exclusions are just bizarre. Is a half-assed snap of Skepta really going to be notable to anyone, even Skepta? There is a shot of the baby Arctic Monkeys looking more bored than a coma case, with accompanying commentary by the photographer revealing just how bored and boring they were. A King of Leon at a drive-thru burger joint? Iconic, if you were flipping his burger; not very, if you are everybody else on earth.

Some good interviews with shooters (Pennie Smith, Cummins, etc). One single Morrissey image, by Chris Buck, Chicago September 1992, which is nice enough, but does not scream 'Classic!' (it could be anybody with a chin, in truth) ~

tumblr_n2ag4lpTb71t47mgpo3_1280.jpg

~ The Bowie cover image, by Ellen von Unwerth is a stunner, leading you to expect more of the Dame inside. But no, that's it. Other than the free 'Collectable Art Print' (ie ~ glossy card) of Bowie/Ziggy '72. Which, given that the magazine is trumpeted as a celebration of photographers, you would think they would at least credit the image to Brian Ward instead of 'the David Bowie Archive'.

"Six months is a long time..."

Glad to be of service, Joe :lbf: Some people seem a bit cross with my interpretations. I would like to point out that I didn't write this stuff, it's Morrissey who has the filthy mind :) But, you know, I think that's the beauty of Morrissey's lyrics, they are open to interpretation. And if some people want to believe a 'reel around the fountain' means chasing your loved one around an ornamental water feature, who am I to argue? ;)

And don't get me started on "SwayedHead"... :brows:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom