Kevin Cummins: "Morrissey: Alone and Palely Loitering" hardback due September 2018

As mentioned by 'anon' in the SER website thread - here are further details:
(book image is lousy on Amazon).

42184_cummins_2018.jpg

Initial Waterstones link from anon:
https://www.waterstones.com/book/morrissey/kevin-cummins/9781788400237
Blackwells:
https://blackwells.co.uk/bookshop/product/Morrissey-by-Kevin-Cummins/9781788400237
More detailed Amazon links:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1788400232/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1788400232/
c36ebfd1929335e0f79cf411d1967cde--kevin-oleary-cummins.jpg

150+ photographs in a 'coffee table' book.
256 pages.
Regards,
FWD.

Last edited by a moderator:
How divine! I hope it's wonderful. Do please send us all an e-postcard, we will need to know the important things like the quality of the baklava, the pinkness (or otherwise) of bougainvilleas, and whether they are shooting Mama Mia 3 yet.
Be aware, the List of the Lost travel blog is coming soon .......

yes, you're right about the shoulders, but on the other hand I don't think they're particularly broad, nor do I think broad shoulders are necessarily a sign of beefiness. they're just a sign of being gorgeously built is all. the two most beautiful boys I have ever known in my life (both Austrian) were both tiny wisps of things with astoundingly broad shoulders, like they were wearing shoulder pads. the contrast creates an amazing silhouette.

oh yes, I just found out I have a trio of icky young boys moving into my house tomorrow, so I am more than ready to make my escape! I'm going to Greece and im going to eat baklava and drink cappuccinos with 12" all day long, long past the time for drinking cappuccinos has expired, and that's that. and of course admire the beauteous bougainvilleas!

Fantastic! Let me know your ETA so I can clean and pay the pastry boutique a visit to get an adequate supply of baklava (thinking of getting some baklava praline as it’s been a while and to celebrate the special occasion!) It will be wonderful. We will eat baklava praline, drink cappuccinos whenever we goddamn PLEASE and admire *ahem* bougainvillea. :tulip:

I always find it interesting, looking at the shape of him in these earlier times. He's quite broad-shouldered - even in the Smiths days, you can see it. Alan Bennett said he now looks like he could be digging up the road, if he wasn't famous. I think he was always destined to become the stocky, barrel-chested figure he's become - it's all there in the genes.
Wow. I certainly started something... :)

I completely see what you mean. He has always been very strong, even when he was quite thin with the Smiths. Looking at footage from those early days and into the 90s (and beyond) we can see him literally, with ease, pulling people up on stage just with one hand.

I completely see what you mean. He has always been very strong, even when he was quite thin with the Smiths. Looking at footage from those early days and into the 90s (and beyond) we can see him literally, with ease, pulling people up on stage just with one hand.
You certainly did :D Yes, I never saw him as weedy, even then - there was always something quite muscular about him, and such athleticism - all that flailing about must have taken a massive amount of stamina. I suppose the ground was laid with his teenage athletics prowess.

Yes he did always seem strong, confirmed by Vini Reilly from when they used to wrestle in the Viva Hate days.
Speaking of: Who do you all reckon won those matches most of the time? Place your bets?

I always find it interesting, looking at the shape of him in these earlier times. He's quite broad-shouldered - even in the Smiths days, you can see it. Alan Bennett said he now looks like he could be digging up the road, if he wasn't famous. I think he was always destined to become the stocky, barrel-chested figure he's become - it's all there in the genes.

This photo springs immediately to mind...
phranc-morrissey1991.jpg

He's thin, but looks very broad especially compared to the guy (Gary?) next to him.

Fantastic! Let me know your ETA so I can clean and pay the pastry boutique a visit to get an adequate supply of baklava (thinking of getting some baklava praline as it’s been a while and to celebrate the special occasion!) It will be wonderful. We will eat baklava praline, drink cappuccinos whenever we goddamn PLEASE and admire *ahem* bougainvillea. :tulip:
oh that sounds divine! you sound like the perfect host, thinking of your guests and their baklava praline needs. and I cannot wait to see the glorious bougainvillea in bloom! I'm beginning to think bougainvillea may have a double meaning, however. well, you admire what you want, I for one will be admiring the bougainvillea (and stuffing my face with baklava praline).

oh that sounds divine! you sound like the perfect host, thinking of your guests and their baklava praline needs. and I cannot wait to see the glorious bougainvillea in bloom! I'm beginning to think bougainvillea may have a double meaning, however. well, you admire what you want, I for one will be admiring the bougainvillea (and stuffing my face with baklava praline).

Of course I am a great host. What did you think you’d get? Yesterday’s pizza leftovers? A filthy blanket? Well, we’re homos: you’ll get Egyptian cotton sheets, fresh orange juice, fresh croissants, cappuccino (any time of day), baklava praline. (Should you not like fresh orange juice, croissants or Egyptian cotton, we will find a solution.) So there.

Also, I am always interested in admiring beauty, so I am very pleased to - after much time and effort - share with you, on this fine forum, a picture of the humble beginnings of my very own bougainvillea, no double meaning :lbf:

Screen Shot 2018-08-05 at 11.12.41.png

Last edited:
Of course I am a great host. What did you think you’d get? Yesterday’s pizza leftovers? A filthy blanket? Well, we’re homos: you’ll get Egyptian cotton sheets, fresh orange juice, fresh croissants, cappuccino (any time of day), baklava praline. (Should you not like fresh orange juice, croissants or Egyptian cotton, we will find a solution.) So there.

Also, I am always interested in admiring beauty, so I am very pleased to - after much time and effort - share with you, on this fine forum, a picture of the humble beginnings of my very own bougainvillea, no double meaning :lbf:

View attachment 45316
wow, homo hosts are where it's at! should've known that. I guess I'm just used to the way my sister is as a host and expect everyone to be the same. like, if, for instance, I'm at my sisters house for Christmas, Id be lucky to get pizza leftovers. more likely though, she'd scarf them in the kitchen while I was in another room and then when I ask around 2pm whether I can finally have something to eat she'll ask me whether I'm actually hungry or if I just wanna eat for something to do. but oh just plain orange juice? not mimosas? that was really what I was hoping for. all the rest sounds superb!

what a beautiful tree, 12"! it looks so gorgeous against the blue of the sky! why all this time I was admiring the bougainvillea in the street, I had no idea you had your very own bougainvillea! <3

Regards,
FWD.

The book talk event:

The book is now 'officially' released and available through Amazon et al.

Regards,
FWD .

Last edited:
Just noticed that there is a digital version of this - for those with books that take batteries :)
It's quite unusual, imho, for a 'coffee table' book (ie picture intensive) to be offered as an Epub (£21 via Amazon).
I prefer the old fashioned format myself, but some might prefer.
Regards,
FWD.

Regards,
FWD.

371683.jpg

371684.jpg

Unseen Photos of Morrissey at His Peak.

Another Man Magazine.

Excerpt:

"Morrissey is a countercultural hero. Three decades since the release of his debut solo album, Viva Hate, and having just announced new tour dates, a book by Cassell Illustrated has been released, which pays homage to The Smiths frontman. Out now, Morrissey, Alone and Palely Loitering features unseen photos of the musician taken by British photographer Kevin Cummins, who is best known for his images of other musical iconoclasts such as David Bowie, Nick Cave, Mick Jagger and Patti Smith, among others. Here, in an excerpt from the book, Cummins introduces this publication and reflects on the man, the myth and the legend that is Moz.

They then reproduce the book's introduction.

http://www.anothermanmag.com/life-culture/10539/unseen-photos-of-morrissey-at-his-peak

Regards,
FWD.

Edit: this information has now been used by the official FB as a post.

Last edited:
DosjjjCXgAAFVyD.jpg:large

A little something off of Cummins' Twitter feed today.

The caption:

Kevin Cummins‏ @KCMANC 6h6 hours ago
Here’s #Morrissey’s note to Derek Ridgers, asking to use a skinhead photo for the Your Arsenal tour pass in 1992

MrShoes

Last seen in the "NME" Flying the Flag, or Flirting with Disaster issue, summer '92, as evidence for the prosecution, m'lud.

Never noticed before that it appears to be scrawled on the back of a scrap of Harvey, or something...

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom