"Kill Uncle" at 30: Oddball album or timeless classic? - Dickie Felton

Link from Dickie:

"Kill Uncle" at 30: Oddball album or timeless classic? - Dickie Felton

full

Morrissey /Marr was a match made in Heaven on Kings Road 304...as for his solo albums, I always liked and still like Alain Whyte, he's no Johnny Marr, but a great Lad who made good songs with Morrissey, same counts for Boz for songs...Alain just always was more into it at live gigs. Viva Kill Uncle and I.

384 :)

let’s not forget Boz Berry’s infamous duck walking !

ok let’s forget it.

:lbf:

I bought Kill Uncle for my brother when it was released and I'll never forget our bitter disappointment listening to it. It was so slight and tame and Moz sounded defeated and worn out. Over the years I appreciate it more but at the time our reaction was 'how did he go from Viva Hate to this?'. Later we heard the live version of There Is A Place In Hell and realised how the lethargic Kill Uncle just needed a less subdued production.

Well, to be fair there was some songs between Viva and Uncle, not to mention what personal issues he may have been going through and even releasing a Morrissey record during the whole Madchester fad, the music papers made sure there was no room for a Morrissey or even a Smiths record (if they were still around).

But yes... the production for me is also a issue, more so now then at the time, at the time I wanted anything Morrissey so I wasn’t too fussy, to say the least.

I'd love a triple album accoustic/unplugged/alternate versions of Moz classics.
Bloody hell, why not go the full hog and ask for a full orchestra,The London philharmonic....😂 now that would be something,
Unplugged would be special as well.

Brilliant album. A bloody shame he refuses to perform any tracks off it.

Yeah, I just think folks should keep in mind why songs/albums that caught their attention at a certain time in their lives means so much to them and why more recent music even by the same artist might not now have the same effect on them and it’s not always the art that (we hope should) change, but that we also change and what a song or artist means to one now might not have the same impact as it/they once did, they expect it to, and so they set themselves up to be disappointed.

I don’t think his early work is better or worse than his recent work, it is
simply different, and I could enjoy one or the other depending on my mood and what I feel I may need at that moment.

Sometimes the sound of the Smiths are a drag, too much emotional baggage tied to it, but I still want to hear his voice and something a little more to the point to get me going, so I’ll reach for IANADOAC instead.

Yes, that's what I meant.
Morrissey is unable to compose a song nowadays that reminds me of listening to it when I was 14, because it is impossible.

Even Morrissey is like that... in interview, when he is asked about his favourite bands, they are always the bands he was listening to when he was a teen or in his early 20's. When he is asked about any "new band", in most cases he simply says that he is not interested in the music that is being released nowadays... Of course, he is just like any of us.

I like new bands, I like the new albums by Morrissey... BUT if IANADOAC was his first album and he was a "new artist" who had just released his first album, I would probably not be too fascinated (and I actually adore the album, I simply mean that when people are so incredibly old as you and I, we don't get too fascinated with the "new" bands or albums).

Anyway... how's the weather in Utah these days? ;)

Mark Nevin should be given the chance to produce and finish the songs how he composed them....not hand them over to Langer\winstanley who turned the sound into a kin madness album......can you imagine johnny handing over any of his songs and let other people butcher his songs. No chance.

Well, to be fair there was some songs between Viva and Uncle, not to mention what personal issues he may have been going through and even releasing a Morrissey record during the whole Madchester fad, the music papers made sure there was no room for a Morrissey or even a Smiths record (if they were still around).

But yes... the production for me is also a issue, more so now then at the time, at the time I wanted anything Morrissey so I wasn’t too fussy, to say the least.

Just watched 24hr party people again, it's free on Amazon at the moment and it shows what Kill Uncle was up against, a huge movement where Morrissey didn't fit, maybe if he did he's DM like IANADC then it could of been different.

Just watched 24hr party people again, it's free on Amazon at the moment and it shows what Kill Uncle was up against, a huge movement where Morrissey didn't fit, maybe if he did he's DM like IANADC then it could of been different.
I was thinking something similar earlier on today, 90-92 there was still the dance- rave shite going on, Radio 1,
Was still going through with the Matthew Banister Butchery operation, so Moz now totally not on their playlist no more, also Britpop was building momentum, so yes your right he was up against the winds of change with KU.
We live to tell the tale😜😜😜

Mark Nevin should be given the chance to produce and finish the songs how he composed them....not hand them over to Langer\winstanley who turned the sound into a kin madness album......can you imagine johnny handing over any of his songs and let other people butcher his songs. No chance.

Though I assume Morrissey being boss made the choice to have them produce, not one of his finest moments in decision making. Maybe he thought, well Madness had a big hit and are very British, I don’t know.

Should have gone with George Martin if he wanted that kind of musicality.

Though I assume Morrissey being boss made the choice to have them produce, not one of his finest moments in decision making. Maybe he thought, well Madness had a big hit and are very British, I don’t know.

Should have gone with George Martin if he wanted that kind of musicality.
George Martin already knocked him back once, can’t see moz going cap in hand again .....

It’s a GREAT album. Last year I did a presentation in Speech class on why Kill Uncle is so wrongly underrated, almost every slide was just a collage of Morrissey photos and I gushed over them throughout the entire speech. I got 100%.

Yes, that's what I meant.
Morrissey is unable to compose a song nowadays that reminds me of listening to it when I was 14, because it is impossible.

Even Morrissey is like that... in interview, when he is asked about his favourite bands, they are always the bands he was listening to when he was a teen or in his early 20's. When he is asked about any "new band", in most cases he simply says that he is not interested in the music that is being released nowadays... Of course, he is just like any of us.

I like new bands, I like the new albums by Morrissey... BUT if IANADOAC was his first album and he was a "new artist" who had just released his first album, I would probably not be too fascinated (and I actually adore the album, I simply mean that when people are so incredibly old as you and I, we don't get too fascinated with the "new" bands or albums).

Anyway... how's the weather in Utah these days? ;)
He’s not “just like any of us”. He’s like some people, who take great pains to search for the new and the bold, while they’re young - and then assume that the music stopped, when they “grew up”. Sucks to be those people. They’re missing out on a whole world of music they’ll never discover.

Bubble-dwelling is no way to live.

George Martin and Tony Visconti both declined producing The Queen is Dead.
Can you imagine if either one of them did produce... Then said .. the lead single SHOULD be there is a light????
The world of the Smiths would be a very different place😫😫😫

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom