"Knockabout World" released on YouTube / streaming platforms (Feb. 21, 2020)

I really enjoyed this! It reminds me of a song from Madonna or Gwen Stefani! (And I love these ladies so this is definitely meant as a compliment. :))

Just wondering who is OK by Morrissey in this song, who’s teeth does he sing of ? Anyone any ideas,, il keep mine hidden..
Mexicans, I presumed: "They have fantastic hair, and fantastic skin, and usually really good teeth."

Good question. On stronger albums, Moz historically holds back 1-2 gems to be discovered upon album release, as was the case with Your Arsenal. (Looking at you IANADOAC title track, Hurling Days, and Jim Jim) I do believe that this is a better than average album, and am glad he is going away from the rock sound of latter albums as it was becoming tired. This may also explain Boz's artistic absence on this album, a new direction where his writing did not fit in. Looking forward to the album and Cruel World Festival.

I can see your point about the absence of Boz's artistic input, but then I am surprised to see Jesse taking the lion's share of the compositions. He is not exactly a newish songwriter either. The clue is perhaps that Jesse étamée up with Christian Daly and Roger Manning?

I suppose Boz will still be playing live with Morrissey? Any chance of seeing Christian or Roger joining him live? I am just wondering whether the music will work live with just one keyboard player.

Those of you who say you've always preferred the music to the lyrics, come off it.

There are hundreds and millions of pop musicians who churn out this stuff.
None of these are bad songs, they are pleasant enough, sugar candy, bubblegum pop of 2-3 minutes.
But where is that crucial presence, Morrissey? What happened to him?

He grew old and contented, and lost the need to sing witty, urgent, desperate, bitter, beautiful words.

Therefore, all of this is absolutely and completely unnecessary, and he should have retired into a glamorous obscurity in Switzerland long ago. I'd say – about 2013, following Autobiography.

It's just a sad and terminal decline.

You seem to be angry, and letting off steam by posting complaints
which I guess is healthy.
But where else can you go with it? I don’t see any benefit beyond that. I mean, you’re definitely not changing anyone’s mind here, for most seem to be enjoying his new direction, and living for today.
I'm not angry, you're angry!

Compare this to the sublime songs on Nick Cave's "Ghosteen" album for example...it's embarrassing how far he (Morrissey) has fallen.

He's still an iconic, legendary artist. You're a nobody that wants to be a special boy. If you could have written those lyrics then do it and let's see what you come up with
My ass could come up with better lyrics. All three songs are just so simple and dumb. Can you imagine a real artist like Matty Healy turning in something like this? Embarrassing. This CANNOT be the same guy who wrote "The Hand That Rocks The Cradle." Not to be a conspiracy theorist but I am wondering if Morrissey had a ghost writer in the past. The literary fall off is really quite jarring.

I like this one as others have said the lyrics aren't great and it sounds as though there's quite a bit of autotune or whatever on the vocals but I like the more laidback sound vs the other new songs a strong 7/10 from me :)

But mostly, let's be the Thompson Twins.
Mr Ray, my fave band before I was introduced to the smiths, was the Thompson twins, I was 16. If you look at their back catalogue you will find two albums from 80- 81 they were called a product off and set... they had a minor hit called in the name of love, it set all charts slight except the big one... The top 40 . A band restructure took place and they were trimmed down to three... three top ten albums and about 12 tot 20 hits followed the twins sold 40 million records world wide , they were a touring band.... this we all know.... then it all goes tits up.... out of fashion the early 90s seen a musical change as we know .... the twins were no longer fashionable. I like them stumbled on.... and this for me was the interesting bit,they also changed their musical style( that flopped) they nearly, after a while almost made the charts under another name, but were sussed.... the song was called come inside, play this song now and tell me what you think.... it’s not doctor doctor, or hold me now..

My ass could come up with better lyrics. All three songs are just so simple and dumb. Can you imagine a real artist like Matty Healy turning in something like this? Embarrassing. This CANNOT be the same guy who wrote "The Hand That Rocks The Cradle." Not to be a conspiracy theorist but I am wondering if Morrissey had a ghost writer in the past. The literary fall off is really quite jarring.

I don't know who Matt Healy is but he sounds dull. Morrissey is a legend

Musically, the production makes me think to a mix between the Psychedelic Furs' "Love My Way" and the Cure "Harold And Joe"... New wave pop rock, ergh

Man, this is like an unearthed track from the Viva Hate era (with a bit of Kill Uncle in the quiet bits) -- I love it.

Lets go for the poppy side of The Cure then.
Or how about Erasure?
I always thought Erasure was shite. I prefer darker Cure to 'poppy'. I guess it depends what you mean by poppy. I consider Lovecats to be poppy, and a novelty song. I wouldn't consider Just Like Heaven to be poppy, or Pictures of You. The Walk had great keyboard in it, same for InBetween Days. The Cure pop songs were never elevator musak and usually moved the band along musically.

Remember the passionate, stream-of-conscious overflow of Maladjusted? All the words just pouring out of him?

Morrissey needs to sit down and WRITE. Not just lazily ad-lib this shit in the studio and call it a day. The complaint used to be that Morrissey's band sucked but his lyrics were still great. Who could have predicted that within a decade it would be the other way around?

I hate to say it but as a long time fan, these remarks hit the nail on the head. Its not all been downhill - but surely not the lyrics?

“And of course there was nothing more repellent than the synthesizer,” Morrissey once remarked in a November 1983 interview with British pop/rock newspaper Sounds.

:p
Moz was and is wrong about a lot of things. He hated the likes of OMD and yet their first 3 or 4 albums are brilliant. He hated Robert Smith. He never once complimented Johnny Marr's ex-Smiths work apart from inferring Marr wasted a couple of good songs with Electronic (I have to think he meant Getting Away With It and Get The Message which are absolute gems). I don't really care what Moz likes or doesn't like. He's not infallible. I found his 'Under The Influence' CD to be almost unlistenable. I'd say the same for most of the shite music he plays before he comes on stage. Just about bearable.

Tags
i am not a dog on a chain info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom