"Knockabout World" released on YouTube / streaming platforms (Feb. 21, 2020)

Probably a conscious decision on his part, maybe trying again to make a ‘physical album’. I say again because I
remember reading somewhere that the reason for not putting a lyric sheet in Your Arsenal was because he wanted it to be more of a physical album or listening experience. Also during Southpaw with all his cosmetic fake cuts and bruises I feel he was trying on more of a ‘macho’ (tough) image which also may explain simplifying or a kind of dumbing down of the lyric.

Yeah, it was a conscious decision to try to sound tough and to do something different from Vauxhall and I.

It really didn't work though imo and I guess it is what Your Arsenal would have sounded like if you take away Mick Ronson's great production and some of the stronger lyrics.

Yeah, it was a conscious decision to try to sound tough and to do something different from Vauxhall and I.

It really didn't work though imo and I guess it is what Your Arsenal would have sounded like if you take away Mick Ronson's great production and some of the stronger lyrics.

Agree about the production.

I guess maybe it wasn’t what you wanted or expected of him? I wouldn’t say the lyrics are weaker than what came before, simply a different direction. I wonder if he feels he reached his own personal artistic aims with the choices on Southpaw.

I feel the same way with his present writing, a change in direction, maybe hoping to rid himself of an image he doesn’t feel is him anymore. He still gets labeled ‘former Smiths front man’
in media headlines, it must be depressing. No wonder he’s refusing to write the way he did in The Smiths and his earlier solo work, in hopes to be free of an image, a past, baggage that he’s tired of carrying.

I guess maybe it wasn’t what you wanted or expected of him? I wouldn’t say the lyrics are weaker than what came before, simply a different direction. I wonder if he feels he reached his own personal artistic aims with the choices on Southpaw.

I feel the same way with his present writing, a change in direction, maybe hoping to rid himself of an image he doesn’t feel is him anymore. He still gets labeled ‘former Smiths front man’
in media headlines, it must be depressing. No wonder he’s refusing to write the way he did in The Smiths and his earlier solo work, in hopes to be free of an image, a past, baggage that he’s tired of carrying.

Well, if you aren't going to bed, I will. HMMMMMF.

Not so much. He simply hadn't written anywhere near enough lyrics to release an album and it should never have been issued in that form. Always every song is stretched out twice as long as it should be.

Anyhow, the new songs have also been lyrically slight so there needs to be more substance on the rest of the album to counteract that.

We will have to agree to disagree on that one...

When there was a poll on this site to rate the albums, Southpaw Grammar came bottom of the pile. A big reason is because the lyrics are certainly the least of Morrissey. He had simply written nowhere near enough words to release an album.

My point is that if you think SG wasn't substantial enough...where does that leave Low in High School and the recent efforts?
At least it had two tracks that were seemingly connected to the title!

Since when did Morrissey write a line as good as, "Sleep transports sadness to some other mid-brain"?

My point is that if you think SG wasn't substantial enough...where does that leave Low in High School and the recent efforts?
At least it had two tracks that were seemingly connected to the title!

Since when did Morrissey write a line as good as, "Sleep transports sadness to some other mid-brain"?

That's why I said we should agree to disagree...

Southpaw Grammar was the least of Morrissey and I would take the best 8 songs of any other studio album over it any day of the week. Your mileage may vary...

Not so much. He simply hadn't written anywhere near enough lyrics to release an album and it should never have been issued in that form. Always every song is stretched out twice as long as it should be.

Anyhow, the new songs have also been lyrically slight so there needs to be more substance on the rest of the album to counteract that.

Interesting.

Guess we both disagree on this. I feel his writing was deliberate in his direction. No more no less, he may have felt he full filled his artist aim lyrically on Southpaw.

Last edited:
Knockabout has a similar lyrical message to Do Your Best and Dont Worry. But where Alain Whyte's music on Do Your Best was desperately mediocre and largely tune-free, Jesse Tobias's composition for Knockabout is a lovely, warm melodic gem. Who would have thought?

Whenever I hear this song, I keep thinking about Kirk Douglas. He had handsome teeth (along with everything else). I hope he got to hear this album before he passed away. Well, it's just a wild guess anyway. It's a lovely song no matter who - if anyone in particular - Morrissey had in mind. I'm feeling really excited about the rest of the album!

Knockabout has a similar lyrical message to Do Your Best and Dont Worry. But where Alain Whyte's music on Do Your Best was desperately mediocre and largely tune-free, Jesse Tobias's composition for Knockabout is a lovely, warm melodic gem. Who would have thought?

Composers of song are Morrissey, Jesse Tobias, Michael Daly and Roger Manning Jr.

The more I listen to this, the more I realise what an amazing song it is. It doesn't start too well. With the first verse it feels like a 6/10. Then the chorus kicks in and it's instantly an 8/10. Then, the middle eight is pretty flipping good (especially the lovely guitar melody in the second part), and then the final chorus is just an absolute dream lifting the song to a soaring 9/10. Love the use of classic early Smiths lyrical motifs - 'any day' reminiscent of Frankly Mr Shankly, and 'handsome', of course, from Charming Man and Handsome Devil. Amazing stuff folks. Lap it up while you can.

Funny as for me I loved the first verse and didn't care at all for the rest at first. However, it sure is a grower this one. Nice little pop song. I prefer Bobby of the three singles released so far, but this is a nice ditty indeed.

I wonder how becoming more of a singer has changed his lyrical style. He probably in the early days started with more written words and tried to find a melody. Now he might focus more on finding the notes and fitting words sustaining etc which makes less room for word count

I am so completely in love with this song.

Also: it's about Cliff Richard, isn't it?
no its actually about a man called Richard Cliff,thought everyone knew that.

Tags
i am not a dog on a chain info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom