Kristeen Young - love her or hate her?

What do you think of Kristeen Young's music?

• She is awful!

Votes: 12 24.5%
  • She is great!

Votes: 17 34.7%
  • She has potential, but I can't stand her ___ [insert a reason]

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • I have no opinion on her yet, give me some time

Votes: 9 18.4%

• Total voters

nightandday

Kristeen Young really seems to polarize people on this forum! (only Russell Brand and Sweetie-pie seem to have the same effect :D) After so much talk about her on this forum, I decided to hear some of her tracks. I've heard the songs on her myspace page and downloaded a few from Soulseek (Kill The Father, Life Is Not Short..., No Other God), and I love what I've heard! She has a great voice and her music is very interesting (it reminds me a bit of Dresden Dolls, whom I love).

Let's see how many people here hate her music and how many like it... Poll to come.

I don't really see any similarities between Kristeen Young and the Dresden Dolls... Ok, both bands are made up of a drummer and a female singer/keyboard player but I think they sound quite different.
As for the poll I've chosen the "she has potential but I can't stand her" option, and the reason I can't stand her, as I've already said, is her voice. It's just too shrill to my liking.
The Dolls are waaaayyyy better, IMHO. Amanda sounds great! :cool:

I don't really see any similarities between Kristeen Young and the Dresden Dolls... Ok, both bands are made up of a drummer and a female singer/keyboard player but I think they sound quite different.
As for the poll I've chosen the "she has potential but I can't stand her" option, and the reason I can't stand her, as I've already said, is her voice. It's just too shrill to my liking.
The Dolls are waaaayyyy better, IMHO. Amanda sounds great! :cool:
Well, considering that both are based on the combination of keyboards, drums and a very expressive and theatrical female singer and that there is a distinct cabaretish/operatic feel to the artists' music, image and live performances, I would say that it's a legitimate comparison. That does't mean that they sound exactly the same, or that Kristeen has a voice similar to Amanda. Her voice is rather halfway between Siouxsie and (a less high-pitched) Kate Bush.
Option 3 doesn't mean "I can't stand her', but "she has potential, but I can't stand her voice/live presentation/talk between songs" or whatever else people have named as negative aspects about her. ( __ [insert reason]) It means you don't think she's awful, you think she has some talent but there is an aspect about her that annoys you.

Last edited:
I think she's great, can't wait for the album. Pity she couldn't afford roadies for Saturday night at SECC

I think shes great.

Some of her couture is a bit random but more power to the woman I say, she gives that Korg a good hammering - in heels too!!

At the moment is just too much and without any real point to me, I don't seem to be able to indentify. But she'll probably grow so we have to wait and see.

Hope that mad some sense:) .

personally i can't stand her, mainly because of that terrible screaching voice

She has potential (mostly passion), but needs vocal coaching and somebody who can actually write music for her.

I think she has a great voice but she seems to struggle to know exactly how to use it. Her lyrics are hardly fantastic and it's like well yeh you have a good voice but you don't have to reitterate it in every bloody song women, in the words of a geordie at the Newcastle gig "she ain't no f***in' Stevie Wonder is she"

I love Kristeen. Great vocals, matched with great songs - London Crys in particular.

Back
Top Bottom