Las Vegas, NV - The Colosseum at Caesars Palace (Aug. 28, 2021) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

Never Had No One Ever (solo debut) / Jim Jim Falls / I Wish You Lonely / Alma Matters / What Kind Of People Live In These Houses? (live debut) / Satan Rejected My Soul/ The Lazy Sunbathers (live debut) / Knockabout World (live debut) / Morning Starship / Wedding Bell Blues / Seasick, Yet Still Docked / This Night Has Opened My Eyes (solo debut) / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Back On The Chain Gang / Shoplifters Of The World Unite / Irish Blood, English Heart / Lady Willpower / Trouble Loves Me / Ouija Board, Ouija Board / Jacky's Only Happy When She's Up On The Stage // I've Changed My Plea To Guilty / Jack The Ripper

Setlist courtesy of dogged perseverance & Carlos Rodriguez.

• Merchandise booth photo posted by Famous when dead.

• Photo from @HoIdenMorrissey / Twitter. Link posted by NealCassidy.

• Photo posted by GirlAfraidWillNeverLearn:

• Steve Cochran - backdrop star identified by Famous when dead:

• Photos from dneur / Instagram. Link posted by Famous when dead:

Media item:

Last edited:
As much as it pains me to type these words, I agree with just about everything @Hovis Lesley wrote in this thread (though he owes us all an apology for adamantly maintaining in his paranoid COVID rage that these shows would never take place).

Morrissey loves to remind us that "only seals perform," but it wouldn't kill him to inject a bit of energy into the evening regardless of whether or not he feels there's something artificial about the whole thing. The camp and drama --foundational elements of his live peak-- seem to be completely absent and what's left of his stage presence reads as laissez-faire at best and miserably bored at worst.

With a year and a half off and a near-total overhaul of his live band, Morrissey had ample opportunity to arrive in Vegas with a brand new set performed with a refreshed sense of purpose. Instead, the crowd gets more of the same aside from a couple live debuts of material from the band whose legacy he and many here like to pretend he's transcended.

Long gone are the days when a new tour would signal a total shift in the songs he performed -- the Oye Esteban shows in 1999 were completely different from the "shopping for a deal" shows in 2002, the latter being a situation he's seemingly found himself in once again.

It'll be interesting to see if anything special develops as the residency continues, though that never really happened in New York so I wouldn't hold my breath.
In this instance, Covid was merely perceived as an agitating backdrop for the potentially lethal mix of Morrissey and Sin City. I’ll concede defeat in a week—which is a lifetime on planet Morrissey.

Last edited by a moderator:
How can you not see it? It's in the body language, the repetition of words, he's talked about it in interviews & he's mentioned it on stage.
It's glaringly obvious his muse left him years and years and years ago.
He's plowing on for the money and to satisfy his narcissism.
Lights long gone out.

As silly a it sounds I think the energy is now in his voice, which wasn't always the case previously. There is no denying that his voice is as strong as ever, although there were a couple of moments from the show where the high notes weren't delivered. Then again, we are talking about someone who doesn't necessary train or rehearse.

Morrissey is no longer the flailing 20 year old you may remember from The Smiths days, and no longer is he the confident 30 year old from the 90s who would flail with punches rather than flowers. He's been compared to him before, but if you watch any late Frank Sinatra live shows you'll notice the guy hardly moves; he's either standing in one place or he's sitting down.

I think the issue is the set-list. Not the songs necessary themselves but the order in which they are sang. Hearing Never Had No One Ever was a treat, but as the opening song? Hm. Starting strong, fast and loud and then gradually get slower, and then getting louder before finishing with some of the wider known songs would have made the night that bit stronger. The songs are there but just in the wrong order.
I think the setlist could still use some work, but it's true that song order has been an issue for years now. I've seen shows of his where backloaded hits and a strong encore couldn't undo the damage of a solid 40-minute lull in the middle of the set. As a performer, there's not really an excuse for that unless failure is the objective in the first place.

I’d agree: he looked a bit peaky to me. And/but slimmer than I’ve seen him for years.

Yeah, he's fitter, which is a good sign.

(A teenager saw my Morrissey tote & put his hands to his heart & said 'I love Morrissey', just as I was typing.)

THIS MICROPHONE WILL BE MY
HEADSTONE”

:cool:

I didn't think he looked ill or seemed lacking energy at all. I think people may be confusing "being 62 years old" with "being ill".
I thought it was awesome. Are there some songs I'd rather have heard than, say, "Wedding Bell Blues"? Sure. But it was still incredible and he sounded better than I thought he would. Kinda amazed how good he did "I've Changed My Plea To Guilty".

It's hard to capture the feeling and the excitement and the true sound from someone's cell phone video.
It could be age, but if it is, then most likely without drugs. God knows what all the other 70s-80s pop stars are on! 😁 Would much rather have him this way so that his true personality shines through.

It doesn't really change that it's still Morrissey up there rather than a more superficial, automated band churning out their hits. Most fanbases would kill for this. I will patiently wait for the next few shows to determine if this is where he's at in his performance style before I assume anything. I may even give it another 6 months before I do that. Honestly it took me two years after my mom's death to get the same energy back. Clearly he's doing better than that.

Looked a tired performance from the videos, it’s just sort of a novelty now, fair enough the music & voice are good, but theirs no spark there from what I can see, it’s been a great career, how long will it be allowed to just go downhill,

Is there a third part of the concert on video anywhere? The 2nd one stops short at the end of Shoplifters, which worries me a lot.

Who were the two ladies tottering on stage before Chain gang? Couldn't see anything, just heard Morrissey repeating "See you manana, my friends" or something of that sort.

Lots of highlights in this second part, Seasick defo was one, Chain Gang. Paris gained some new meaning as well.

Life’s too short to hesitate Caz Baz. Saw them about three years ago and it was great. I didn’t know Tom Bailey was supporting; I’ll get there early!
Gary Numan is ace in concert. His last three or four albums were brilliant, in my exalted opinion.

Gary Numan is ace in concert. His last three or four albums were brilliant, in my exalted opinion.
I will give them a listen, tomorrow. I keep getting emails from a venue insisting that I go and see him—presumably on the basis of my Human League interest.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom