Leeds

Mr Shandy and myself both hold views that could easily interpreted by young folk as 'transphobic' so we are, I suppose. 'terfs'. And to be frank, we're both enormously relaxed about it.

I've never heard of Terfs until now...must stay in more :rolleyes:

'Rejection is one thing, but rejection from a fool is cruel... '

Lots of fools rejecting him these days (for crimes against identity politics that half of them are committing). :ahhh: :)

It really just makes me laugh...I'm sure Moz has similar days laughing at all these dizzy f***ers, thinking wtf planet are we on??

What is everyone wearing this evening? I'm just ironing my NYDs t-shirt, Mr Shandy promises to wear something 'constricting' in the trouser department.

He may be arsed tonight when he walks out on stage to at best a 50% filled arena?

In reply to the post you just deleted, you never giving up was in relation to you talking about percentages...but no probs, it's gone away.
It'll be a great night. Guess you opted not to go?

Mr Shandy and I have a little ritual wherein we adopt a Coronation Street identity for each concert. It carries on to the hotel later - with frequently hysterical results. Tonight, I shall be Emily Nugent whilst Mr Shandy will adopt the persona of the recently departed Ray Langton. What larks . . .

In reply to the post you just deleted, you never giving up was in relation to you talking about percentages...but no probs, it's gone away.
It'll be a great night. Guess you opted not to go?

No, I was thinking about it more for my daughter who loves his later stuff. Hopefully he will return at some point and play places like the Empress Ballroom in Blackpool. That was the first Morrissey gig I took my wife to and the atmosphere was electric, I think my youngest would enjoy something like that more than Leeds this time around.

Mr Shandy and I have a little ritual wherein we adopt a Coronation Street identity for each concert. It carries on to the hotel later - with frequently hysterical results. Tonight, I shall be Emily Nugent whilst Mr Shandy will adopt the persona of the recently departed Ray Langton. What larks . . .

Well your sure to get a stiffy with Ray Langton

If they had any guts they could easily counter it - the real problem is that no one is looking past the bad publicity Moz has had, and Moz is doing nothing about his bad publicity.

Both Elbow & Teenage Fanclub contain members who are that other great social evil - TERFS (transphobes).

Boy George, Alison Moyet, Marc Almond - all denounced as transphobes.

But they're out there, able to network & mitigate or explain their case. Moz isn't.
Nerak, you must surely realise that being a terf is never going to be enough to ingratiate you with the site Nazis. You're going to have to dig deeper if you want to hang with the tough kids.

I envy you. I've been trying to avoid running battles about 'terfery' since 2013.

It's supposed to mean 'trans exclusionary radical feminist' - but it actually means a person (usually an older woman or a lesbian) who doesn't believe that sex is irrelevant (or non-existent) in all circumstances, or who mentions something related to biological sex, without making a grovelling apology for it (which won't be accepted). They also get called Nazis, fascists & 'the fash'. And we should punch them, smash them & make sure they never get to speak in public because there is #nodebate

Maybe Morrissey fans don't realise how bad identity politics actually is?

Last edited by a moderator:
If they had any guts they could easily counter it - the real problem is that no one is looking past the bad publicity Moz has had, and Moz is doing nothing about his bad publicity.

Both Elbow & Teenage Fanclub contain members who are that other great social evil - TERFS (transphobes).

Boy George, Alison Moyet, Marc Almond - all denounced as transphobes.

But they're out there, able to network & mitigate or explain their case. Moz isn't.
Morrissey has been actively courting 'bad publicity' for decades. He'd rather be known for controversy and outrage than for bland good behaviour. It's part of the Morrissey make-up.

Even fans who supposedly get riled at his comments secretly love it. They wouldn't want it any other way - though they would never admit to themselves. It's all part of the ongoing Morrissey drama that began in 1983 and is still going strong and causing a storm.

We should be thankful for that.

Nerak, you must surely realise that being a terf is never going to be enough to ingratiate you with the site Nazis. You're going to have to dig deeper if you want to hang with the tough kids.
Hey, I want to hang out with the tough kids. Sounds exciting. What do I have to do?

Not sure seasoned Moz goers love it, after 8 gigs i have attended where it was used I got to the point where I was sick to death of it and didn't enter the concert floor until it was virtually finished. I much preferred it when there were proper supports like PJ Harvey in 2004, saying that, there have also been some shit supports over the years.
In my experience, the videos never replace a support act. If there's a support, the videos serve as an intermission between them and Morrissey. They're always there, though. (And as a seasoned Moz concert-goer, I can say that I do love them every time.)

Morrissey has been actively courting 'bad publicity' for decades. He'd rather be known for controversy and outrage than for bland good behaviour. It's part of the Morrissey make-up.

Even fans who supposedly get riled at his comments secretly love it. They wouldn't want it any other way - though they would never admit to themselves. It's all part of the ongoing Morrissey drama that began in 1983 and is still going strong and causing a storm.

We should be thankful for that.

I accept that for some mad reason he loves aggro & being contrary. But I wish he'd do slightly more to get the haters in the press off his back. It's ridiculous that he gets monstered for things that he has almost nothing to do with.

It's always desperately sad to witness a younger person, so utterly desperate to prove themselves to the world, by writing shite in fan forums. Step forward Nerak.

Today, it's identity politics, again. Again, it's Morrissey as victim. She uses her scattergun approach accusing others of transphobia but, as ever, provides no evidence of these misdemeanors.

Perhaps, the people identified raised the issue, their concerns, their lack of knowledge but at all times remained open to debate. Morrissey makes ill-judged statements regularly and closes down any form of discourse.

As Nerak knows so much just WHO in Teenage Fanclub is transphobic?

Identity politics? Is the term used when you identify someone with no life to call their own they then talk nonsense within forums?

It would seem so.

I accept that for some mad reason he loves aggro & being contrary. But I wish he'd do slightly more to get the haters in the press off his back. It's ridiculous that he gets monstered for things that he has almost nothing to do with.
The irritation of the bad press is outweighed by an inner need. Moz enjoyed something of a 'resurrection' when after a few years in the wilderness he released 'I am the Quarry'. Suddenly the public loved him, the press loved him and celebrities were wearing his t-shirt and gushing over him. Even the NME forgave him and the Guardian were probably even praiseworthy (maybe I'm going a bit too far there).

Moz was suddenly 'in' - he was fashionable. His status had reached national darling, a classic British institution who you were not only allowed but encouraged to like. But ultimately Moz was unhappy occupying this throne. So he had to revolt in the only way he knew how. His wit and opinions. He turned on the tap. Then when the scolding came forth he was again happy.

This is Morrissey's preferred place in the scheme of things. A man with an adoring fan base drowned out by a background of haters. This was the ground where The Smiths stood back in the 80s before they were rewritten into pop history as one of the big 80s bands that everyone loved. In reality they had a devoted but relatively small fanbase, would only ever pop briefly into the charts and out again, and were never played on the radio. They existed in a world that was more interested in Dire Straits and Level 42. Overall, they were despised.

This is the setting that Morrissey prefers. Being hated by the masses, while an outspoken hero to the outsiders who understand him implicitly.

Last edited:
ffs. It's not exactly unknown. Unless you only dwell on Solo whinging about younger fans not wanting to abandon Moz entirely to universal opprobrium just because he's supremely awkward. I see the problems he's encountering playing out every day of my working life. It's not justified or fair.

fanclub.JPG

al.JPG

Tags
leeds
Back
Top Bottom