Liege - Les Ardentes Festival (July 5, 2012) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Set List:

Shoplifters Of The World Unite / You Have Killed Me / You're The One For Me, Fatty / Alma Matters / When Last I Spoke To Carol / Everyday Is Like Sunday / Black Cloud / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / How Soon Is Now? / Ouija Board, Ouija Board / To Give (The Reason I Live) / Meat Is Murder / Let Me Kiss You / People Are The Same Everywhere / I Know It's Over / One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell / Still Ill

set list provided by Sylvie and also The Smiths Indeed

Last edited:
The green carnation brooch/buttonhole is a reference to 'the love that dare not speak its name' [in 2012!]
Oscillate Wildly!

Well then perhaps Moz is mistaken. ''Earnest' was a code-word for 'gay' and wearing a green carnation was a 'secret' sign of homosexuality

Both explanations seem to have been conveniently invented years later with little or no foundation in fact. 'Earnest' was supposedly a corruption of 'Uraniste' or one who practices Uranian or homosexual love, and the green carnation was said to be the badge of Parisian pederasts. If either had been true, Edward Carson, the Marquess of Queensberry's defence lawyer in the libel trial, would certainly have pinpointed them, as he did the overtly gay passages in the magazine publication of The Picture of Dorian Gray (which were later suppressed in the book.)' From an article in the guardian by Merlin Holland Oscar Wilde's grandson.

Yup - if you are bored of the setlist, don't go to so many f***ing gigs. Simples.

my only real complaint with the setlist is the one cover song.

i'd rather he play something he wrote but i think that also has something to do with the fact that I don't like the song.

A Song From Under the Floorboards and No One Can Hold a Candle to You were both fantastic covers.

Other than that, I wish he would play Art Hounds again.

Yes, absolutely! Morrissey should change his setlist just for YOU because YOU have seen him live so many times you're getting fed up with hearing the same songs.

It's not like HSIN, MIM Shoplifters and Please are 4 of the greatest pop songs written in the last 50 years. I'm sorry, but this is what KY meant when she said that Moz Solo was full of nutters. The man is out there, sweating blood, every night, on tour all the time, and you're complaining about the setlist because you've seen him a lot. So have I. I made a list that I happen to have here. Since my first Moz show in 2006 I have heard SIXTY EIGHT different songs. Here they are:

First Of The Gang To Die / Still Ill / You Have Killed Me / The Youngest Was The Most Loved / Ganglord / To Me You Are A Work Of Art / At Last I Am Born / On The Streets I Ran / Let Me Kiss You / I Will See You In Far-off Places / Girlfriend In A Coma / Life Is A Pigsty / Trouble Loves Me / In The Future When All's Well / I Just Want To See The Boy Happy / How Soon Is Now? / Irish Blood, English Heart / I'll Never Be Anybody's Hero Now / Panic / Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before / Disappointed / William, It Was Really Nothing / Everyday is Like Sunday / I've Changed My Plea To Guilty / National Front Disco / Dear God, Please Help Me / Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want / Don't Make Fun of Daddy's Voice / That's How People Grow Up / Sister, I'm A Poet / Something Is Squeezing My Skull / All You Need Is Me / Death Of A Disco Dancer / The Loop / Billy Budd / Mama Lay Softly On The Riverbed / The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself / Stretch Out And Wait / Last Of The Famous International Playboys / This Charming Man / One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell / Jack The Ripper / Black Cloud / Ask / How Can Anybody Possibly Know How I Feel / You Just Haven't Earned It Yet, Baby / When Last I Spoke To Carol / Sorry Doesn't Help / I'm OK By Myself / Because Of My Poor Education / Moon Over Kentucky (Sparks cover) / Is It Really So Strange? / Death At One's Elbow / Teenage Dad On The Estate / I Want The One I Can't Have / You're The One For Me, Fatty / There Is A Light That Never Goes Out / Action Is My Middle Name / Come Back To Camden / I Know It's Over / Scandinavia / Ouija Board, Ouija Board / Satellite Of Love (LR cover) / The Kid's A Looker / Speedway / Meat Is Murder

But that's not enough for some people. FFS. He gives us everything. And yet people still fking moan every chance they get. You don't deserve him. And frankly, as a Bowie fan, we should all be grateful we get a chance to see him live at all.

Spot-on. Best comment I've stumbled across here for a very long time.

Is he serious? Same songs. Blah. I hope he changes the entire set for the US.

Is he serious? Same songs. Blah. I hope he changes the entire set for the US.

I doubt that will happen.

Here is how the setlist changed from last year to this year in Belgium

I Want The One I Can't Have / First Of The Gang To Die / You're The One For Me, Fatty / You Have Killed Me / There Is A Light That Never Goes Out / Everyday Is Like Sunday / Alma Matters / One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell / Scandinavia / Satellite Of Love / I Know It's Over / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Ouija Board, Ouija Board / Meat is Murder / Speedway / Irish Blood, English Heart

Shoplifters Of The World Unite / You Have Killed Me / You're The One For Me, Fatty / Alma Matters / When Last I Spoke To Carol / Everyday Is Like Sunday / Black Cloud / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / How Soon Is Now? / Ouija Board, Ouija Board / To Give (The Reason I Live) / Meat Is Murder / Let Me Kiss You / People Are The Same Everywhere / I Know It's Over / One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell / Still Ill

Changes:

Shoplifters for I Want the One
Carol for FOTGTD
still Ill for There is a Light
To Give for Satellite
Black Cloud for IBEH
Let Me Kiss for Speedway
People are the Same for Scandinavia

Not moaning by the way.

But i wish Moz would do this.....

A lucky Pearl Jam fan was called upon to choose the setlist for the band's recent show in Amsterdam at the Ziggo Dome.

The show, which took place on June 27, saw Brian Farias of Rhode Island, who has seen the band play 108 times, pick the songs for the night.

"I thought I was hearing things when Eddie [Vedder] offered it to me," said Farias, who is a longstanding member of the band's fan club, the Ten Club, to Rolling Stone.

Farias made over 40 drafts before coming up with the final setlist, which comprised both fan favourites and rarities. Of compiling it he said: "It was really stressful, because it's something you know is never gonna happen again. You're only getting one shot at it."

Of the experience, he added: "It was like programming your iPod and then Pearl Jam show up in your yard and play it for you."

MORRISSEY, LIEGE Les Ardentes Festival 5 July 2012 - set list & asides
(as remembered by TSI, it may be inaccurate in places)

A short intro music section included The Fall & Patti Smith's Redondo Beach.
A longer intro music video section included Shocking Blue, Edith Sitwell, Fabian, Nico, F Hardy, NY Dolls & Lypsinka.
The drum kit had two bass drums, both decorated with a Belgian flag. Nice.

Morrissey appeared at 23.33 - right after The Imperfect List. It started raining. Perfect.
Dark blue denim. Green carnation.

"I dare you to be yourself."
SHOPLIFTERS OF THE WORLD UNITE
("Last night the plans for a future war with Syria is all I saw.")
("Shoplifters of the world - yes you! - take over")
"Hello!"
YOU HAVE KILLED ME ("I forgive you, I forgive you, on my soul, on my soul, I forgive you.")
"If I die, then I die."
YOU'RE THE ONE FOR ME, FATTY ("Ah Battersea - hope and then despair.")
ALMA MATTERS
"Thank you. Thank you."
WHEN LAST I SPOKE TO CAROL ("One thing I still know.")
"Belgique, thank you."
EVERYDAY IS LIKE SUNDAY ("Otherwise, share some grease tea with me.")
(Over outro: "They can kill me - they can't stop me!")
BLACK CLOUD
"Thank you. [To someone in the audience:] Would it be Sheffield? No. Luxembourg? No. Sweden? Croatia? Lima? No."
I'M THROWING MY ARMS AROUND PARIS
"I know."
HOW SOON IS NOW? ("Crippling and vulgar")
"Thank you. In my soul, of course, it's always a Thursday, it's always midnight, and - as you know - there's only one thing to do. This."
OUIJA BOARD, OUIJA BOARD
"Mmm. Desk clerk told me. A girl was washed up. What? What does your sign say? I can't read. What does yours say? Does it? Mmm. Mmm. Where is it? Where is it? Do people really still get married? Incredible. Absolutely incredible. However, would you please say something nice to on the piano Gustavo Manzur? Do you think you could say something nice to guitarist Jesse Tobias? And to our new friend on the drums Eric Lewis Gardner? To a very old friend on the bass Solomon Walker? And a name only ever spoken in private - Gaynor Tension.
TO GIVE (THE REASON I LIVE)

[My memory is sketchy from here on, order may be slightly wrong:]

MEAT IS MURDER ("Kill. Eat. Kill. Eat. Murder.")
[shirt change: red & white polka dots]
LET ME KISS YOU
[shirt change: black & white polka dots - similar to Rank inner sleeve]
I WILL SEE YOU IN FAR-OFF PLACES
PEOPLE ARE THE SAME EVERYWHERE
I KNOW IT'S OVER
ONE DAY GOODBYE WILL BE FAREWELL
STILL ILL [about a dozen people surged towards the stage - a few successful handshakes - heavy security arrives - Morrissey observes & stops singing for a while - reminiscent of Bakersfield 25/5/2012 - but carries on eventually: "Wow! This is very interesting."]

Excellent concert. In fine voice & engaging spirits. Messing around & pulling faces.
Highlight: Every Day Is Like Sunday Is Like Move Festival 2004.

Dankuwel.

Thank you!!! Great review of the show!

Maybe he is wearing a green carnation because he couldn't find a blue rose....

I'M KIDDING!!

It's so.... confrontational. The gender blur, the expression, the nudity. Brilliant shot, really, but soooo uncomfortable.

Why is it gross?

I mean, I'm not fag-bashing or anything. There's just something gross about a bare-chested 50 year old man made up like a woman. It was the first thought I had when I saw it: gross. But, I mean, I would probably say the same thing if it were a real 50 year old woman, so...

frozenboz.jpg

Attachments

• frozenboz.jpg
    frozenboz.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 2
I don't know. I don't find it uncomfortable or otherwise. I think he actually looks quite good in drag. It is a great photo.

I also can't understand why people find his dressing up so disturbing (I'm not grouping you in this Skylarker but rather those anons who go on about it). And far from it being Morrissey who forced him to, I suspect Boz quite likes it and does it on his own volition.

Then again, this country has such a long history of men in frocks. It fails to stir any strong emotion within me.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom