Lille 1-19-2008 FULL AUDIO!

Eternal thanks, praise and gratitude to the recorder(s) and distributor(s) of this show. I would comment on the willingness on the part of French concert-goers in sharing their recordings compared with the hoarde/trade mentality of the Americans, but as this is painfully obvious anyway, my jingoistic Gallic pride isn't neccessary.

I haven't listened all the way through yet, but some early thoughts;

1) The dreamy surf-guitar effect used in How Soon...? makes for a refreshing update. Even if it does remind me of that Chris Issak song, the name of which escapes me...

2) Moz just gets more and more chatty as this tour goes on. If any more dates are added, it'll soon be a stand-up monologue with occassional musical interludes. I'm not complaining though, his witty repartee with the French audience is one of the funniest I've heard. "I can't speak French, but I am 'ere."

3) Matt Walker's drumming is like a fine (French) wine, and just improves as this tour goes on. He adds so much punch to these songs, I credit him with a lot of Morrissey's sonic rejuvenation. I'm not sure what it is, he seems to use a lot more bass drum which really fills out the sound. He is definitely the engine of the band.

4) Don't know who the new guy on keyboards is, but as someone said earlier, he needs some brass lessons ASAP. The intro to One Dy Goodbye... seemed as though someone had forgotten to plug an amp in. Not only that, they replaced Mikey's trumpeting with what sounded like Casio keyboard sound effects! Anyone else notice that? I thought the recording might have gotten mixed up with a Prince bootleg...

5) Something Is Squeezing My Skull - like this tune a lot, but similar to Arms Round Paris it seems like a half-finished thought. It was all going so well, and then it just dribbled out in a melange of noise and shouting. Needs a more definite ending. The lyrics are good (apart from "the notion of taxis excites me"? Did I hear that right?), but it just seems incomplete, as though Moz dropped his lyric book in the bath halfway through writing.

6) Mama Lay Softly On The Riverbed - this is an excellent tune. Just when I'd begun to lose hope, he comes back fighting with a song like this. Musically inspiring and the lyrics are his best for a long while ("Life is nothing much to lose/it's just so lonely here without you"). Very promising indeed. A+ for this Steven. Any clues as to who wrote the music? I'd hazard a guess at Alain, doesn't really sound like a Boz composition.

That's all I can think of for now, something else might come to me later. Many thanks again for recording and sharing. :)

Coiff.

:guitar: Many thanks to everyone taking the time to get these 2008 shows up. Great job once again!!!

Thanks, all. This is lovely...

Back
Top Bottom