Low in high school leak (go to page 9 or 10)

I've listened to it twice now. And it frustrates me, because he's singing better than ever, with vocal control he would have killed to possess 30 years ago. But much of the lyrics are so, so bad. I bury the living is probably the worst thing he's written lyrically, and he wrote You're the one for me, Fatty. (That song is at least funny.) And Israel. It's such a wasted opportunity. The melody and song are achingly beautiful, and then the lyrics are achingly awful.
Perhaps it will turn out that Low In High School is a concept album meant to be heard in the voice of a 16 year old discovering Politics for the first time.
It's rough wishing that your favorite lyricist would hire a f***ing lyricist. :lbf:

For those of you ranking this x/10 and overall are in the 8's and 9's...are you comparing this to other Moz albums?

I think it's better than I expected, but certainly not up there with his best (My top 3 are Kill Uncle, You Are the Quarry and Viva Hate). I'd put all of those in the 9/10 range (a 10/10 for me would be The Queen Is Dead).

IMO there is no way this album comes close to any of those albums. Again...not bad, it's a decent record. I think the only song that would make it into my Morrissey/Smiths best of mix would be Spent The Day in Bed.

What I'm really asking is...Is this album just a notch below The Queen Is Dead for you? (assuming that you think that record is perfect...which it is for most of my friends that like Morrissey).

I'd give the whole thing about a 6.5/10.

I've listened to it twice now. And it frustrates me, because he's singing better than ever, with vocal control he would have killed to possess 30 years ago. But much of the lyrics are so, so bad. I bury the living is probably the worst thing he's written lyrically, and he wrote You're the one for me, Fatty. (That song is at least funny.) And Israel. It's such a wasted opportunity. The melody and song are achingly beautiful, and then the lyrics are achingly awful.
Perhaps it will turn out that Low In High School is a concept album meant to be heard in the voice of a 16 year old discovering Politics for the first time.
It's rough wishing that your favorite lyricist would hire a f***ing lyricist. :lbf:

I am hated for loving. I said pretty much the same thing in fewer words and was slated for it. The voice is superb, there's no getting away from that. But the lyrics are indeed terrible, and the music pedestrian and one-dimensional.

Th
I'm here to stay. To wait for some turnaround in material, a turnaround in attitude to immigrants, a turnaround to the old days of the man I admired. I'm here for the long term.

This is is intellectually dishonest at best, a downright lie at worst. You are here to slag Morrissey off every chance you get and nothing more. Hey that's your right to do so, but I suspect even you know that this is a pretty sad way for a grown adult to exist so instead you justify it with this 'I'm waiting for a return to form' crap.

Just own it man, at least Brummie does and with a sense of humour as well. You're just nasty, mean and spiteful (all the things you accuse Morrissey of and you don't even see it. Oh the irony.)

A chacun son gout. It's full of mono-speed clunkers, with ill-thought out cod-political doggerel. It's awful.

On the plus side, his voice sounds good, but that's it. Its dreadful.

P.S. vote it down all you like, I'll keep reposting my views, and you're gonna have to keep doing it. How DARE anyone have a differing view.

I've noticed a lot of people refer to your posts as 'trolling' and rate them the same. And I sometimes think that's a bit wide of the mark. But spamming the same post on the same thread - presumably to provoke some sort of reaction - is troll-like behaviour, IMO.

It also makes it look - as another poster previously pointed out - like you haven't listened to the record.

I'm not being mean. Just trying to tell it like it is. Oh well, you'll probably reply saying something along the lines of 'I can do what you like, if you don't like it then f*** off'.

I've noticed a lot of people refer to your posts as 'trolling' and rate them the same. And I sometimes think that's a bit wide of the mark. But spamming the same post on the same thread - presumably to provoke some sort of reaction - is troll-like behaviour, IMO.

It also makes it look - as another poster previously pointed out - like you haven't listened to the record.

I'm not being mean. Just trying to tell it like it is. Oh well, you'll probably reply saying something along the lines of 'I can do what you like, if you don't like it then f*** off'.

I have listened to the record, three times now, and that's my opinion. I will not have my opinion shut down just because people disagree with my personal opinion, not theirs.

I am hated for loving. I said pretty much the same thing in fewer words and was slated for it. The voice is superb, there's no getting away from that. But the lyrics are indeed terrible, and the music pedestrian and one-dimensional.
For the first time, I think the band performed admirably and outshone Morrissey on the tracks I singled out. Even their Squirrel Nut Zoot Suit Zippers Cabaret performance on Tel Aviv displays competence. The Squelchy synth noises are over done big time though.

For the first time, I think the band performed admirably and outshone Morrissey on the tracks I singled out. Even their Squirrel Nut Zoot Suit Zippers Cabaret performance on Tel Aviv displays competence. The Squelchy synth noises are over done big time though.

On the tracks you singled out, yes, I'd agree, but overall, there's a one-dimensional quality that would not be present had they had the sweet, soaring, melodic ear of , for example, Alain. The tone on the album is relentlessly downcast. There's no upbeat, no jollity.

On the tracks you singled out, yes, I'd agree, but overall, there's a one-dimensional quality that would not be present had they had the sweet, soaring, melodic ear of , for example, Alain. The tone on the album is relentlessly downcast. There's no upbeat, no jollity.
There are a couple of upbeat numbers. Young people, Spent the Day in Bed- but the production is far too sterile. They sucked the life out of the recording. My main criticism is that there aren't any songs I love. I just like them. Then there are songs I will never listen to again, Like Spent the day in Bed.
When you open your legs is actually likely in my top 2 or 3 of this album. I thought it sounded like a Tom Jones song when I first heard it on the live stuff, and that carries over really well to the album. It sounds like it could have come out at any point in the last 50-ish years, so I give credit for that.

Who's stopping anyone posting anything they want? Do you have evidence this is happening?

I'm not saying that anyone's stopping that from happening. But maybe be a little less defensive. I haven't even seen the so-called bots be as defensive as some of your posts. It borders aggressive sometimes.

Anyway, apart from the voice, is there but one redeeming feature of this LP in your eyes? Is there one song you can get behind? Just curious

I'm not saying that anyone's stopping that from happening. But maybe be a little less defensive. I haven't even seen the so-called bots be as defensive as some of your posts. It borders aggressive sometimes.

Anyway, apart from the voice, is there but one redeeming feature of this LP in your eyes? Is there one song you can get behind? Just curious

No, there isn't. The voice is top-notch. But the music - there's nothing there. No imagination, no tunes. nothing. And the lyrics are dreadful. But, as I said, the voice is tremendous.

It occurs to me that if you handed Who Will Protect Us From the Police? over to Depeche Mode, they might be able to pull it off.
Especially since it's seemingly constructed from a grab bag of their sounds.

It occurs to me that if you handed Who Will Protect Us From the Police? over to Depeche Mode, they might be able to pull it off.
Especially since it's seemingly constructed from a grab bag of their sounds.

And while we are on the topic Who Will Protect Us From The Police, what the hell is that awful effect they have added to his voice?
Why? what for? It makes it sound worse, not better.

The lyric's quality is not worst than in WPINOYB. If you want something more complex , listen to the Smiths.
You don't have to agree with his political opinion, which are extremes. This is maybe why the lyrics are judged "bad"

And while we are on the topic Who Will Protect Us From The Police, what the hell is that awful effect they have added to his voice?
That's what made the Depeche Mode sound click for me. I honestly wonder if he set out to deliberately do so.
Dave Gahan can pull off bad drama more reliably than Morrissey though.

Despite it's flaws, I love this track! Possibly not for the right reasons, but it's one of the more fun tracks. I love it when he pronounces it 'po-lice' (as in 'f*** the...')

The lyric's quality is not worst than in WPINOYB. If you want something more complex , listen to the Smiths.
You don't have to agree with his political opinion, which are extremes. This is maybe why the lyrics are judged "bad"
His political opinions flop about like a fish on land. The lyrics are bad when they're bad because of poor construction.

No, there isn't. The voice is top-notch. But the music - there's nothing there. No imagination, no tunes. nothing. And the lyrics are dreadful. But, as I said, the voice is tremendous.

Not even 'Home Is A Question Mark'? That song reminded me of mid-late 90's Morrissey. My initial thoughts on the album are pretty critical, but that song's quality really stands out for me. If I was being picky, I would probably have changed the 'wrap your legs around my face' line, however.

Back
Top Bottom