"Low In High School" released (Nov. 17, 2017)

Low In High School is out now.
41311_low_in_high_school.jpg

I agree with your breakdown almost 100% apart from Israel, that track is gorgeous (politics aside).
I really like it too. But I felt like I was waiting for a big chorus or something near the end :confused:

Which post? I'll make it a four. :thumbsup:
How is Brummie not banned? There's over five thousand posts by him, none of which offer anything other than tedious trolling.
Criticism and cynicism shouldn't be silenced, but this idiot man child is completely deranged. He's spent half a decade party crashing almost every thread with his buffoonery.

I really like it too. But I felt like I was waiting for a big chorus or something near the end :confused:
We got that epic chorus at the end of Home Is A Question Mark. I don't think one was necessary for Israel. Less is more sometimes. Once you familiarise yourself with the song structure, perhaps you'll appreciate it in time.

I agree with your breakdown almost 100% apart from Israel, that track is gorgeous (politics aside).
Yeah 100% would be creepy :)

I'm open to changing my my mind about Israel. I have a suspicion there's a beautiful song in there somewhere. I just haven't connected with the story yet.

I adore HIAQM but does anyone else find the echo on the guitar intro a bit off-putting? I thought my earphones weren't plugged in properly, when I first hear it.

How is Brummie not banned? There's over five thousand posts by him, none of which offer anything other than tedious trolling.
Criticism and cynicism shouldn't be silenced, but this idiot man child is completely deranged. He's spent half a decade party crashing almost every thread with his buffoonery.

On a conventional fan forum website, he would be. This is not one of those! We have at least one moderator who hates Morrissey as much as Brummie. The website owner and Morrissey have also had major altercations - I think Morrissey threatened the website owner with legal action. I don't really know who's to blame. I just know that this is one of the most dysfunctional websites on the internet!
There are highs and lows on Low in High School. Sorry I couldn't resist. After a few listens there is a lot I like about the new album and a few I don't.

1. My Love, I'd Do Anything for You
I love this track more and more. The James Bond-esque ending is great. Nice melody and beautiful big sound.

2. I Wish You Lonely
I didn't like this song at first when I heard it live but now it's one of my favourites. "Romance gone wrong..." is a standout moment.

3. Jacky's Only Happy When She's Up on the Stage
I think this is my favourite track on the album. Beatlesque horns and a great allegory in song.

4. Home Is a Question Mark
Lovely croon and feels a little Vauxhall.

5. Spent the Day in Bed
I don't know how anyone can't like this song.

6. I Bury the Living
There are some less than artful lyrics to be heard here but the orchestration that has this kind of metal wild west type vibe is something I really love. The ominous choral sounds are great too.

7. In Your Lap
I don't like this song much at all. The Arab spring was a complete failure. They replaced one dictator with another. Moz might want to read up on what actually happened after all the celebrations.

8. The Girl from Tel-Aviv Who Wouldn't Kneel
The opening melody is almost note for note exactly the same as In Your Lap. This song does sweet f*** all for me.

9. All the Young People Must Fall in Love
Pretty good song. Not a great song. That's all I have.

10. When You Open Your Legs
I really like this song. The Elvis Presley sixties groove is fantastic. I could've done without yet another Israel reference but what the hell. Great f***ing song!

11. Who Will Protect Us from the Police?
Okay yes he did it more eloquently in Ganglord but I don't get the hate for this song. I love the way it builds and builds towards this blast of noise at the end with more James Bondesque vibes.

12. Israel
meh.... what is the song count now re Israel? Three or four songs? This type of romanticism was done better in I Will See You In Far Off Places and Istanbul. I will be skipping this one. Oh the album is over.

Lose tracks 7, 8 and 12 and the album would be much stronger. It's unfortunate there are no B sides to replace these tracks but I guess there are rumours of some new singles/B sides so all is not lost. Seven highs, three lows and two middles.

This has been a bot review.

Interesting stuff Married. From past comments I think you also loved the Bona Drag era and didn't much like You are the Quarry so expecting to agree with you on most of this when I finally get the album.

Just think how many poor delusional people I've rescued from The Cult Of Morrissey!

You're entirely wrong. I was fulsome in my praise for WPINOYB until Morrissey went beserk because nobody was buying it. I also was complimentary about 'I Wish You Lonely'. It remains an excellent track in my opinion but the album as a whole is execrable rubbish, easily the worst thing Morrissey has been involved in.

Unfortunately for you, your endless attempts to hide my posts by designating them as 'troll' aren't working as others find merit in them. You also have very little to actually say about Morrissey's music other than to demand others 'respect' Morrissey. f*** you. And f*** Morrissey.

On a conventional fan forum website, he would be. This is not one of those! We have at least one moderator who hates Morrissey as much as Brummie. The website owner and Morrissey have also had major altercations - I think Morrissey threatened the website owner with legal action. I don't really know who's to blame. I just know that this is one of the most dysfunctional websites on the internet!

If you don't like it, here's where to go:

http://allyouneedismorrissey.com/site/

How can i sit here and accept these new songs when i know "action is my middle name" is still just sitting out there just begging to be recorded and released as a single.

LIHS is a great album. Not just "good" or "average for Moz". This album is great. So-called fans trashing it must only like his more simplistic, pop stuff. This LP's songs are more mature and subtle. It's now moved up to 4th place ahead of World Peace on my list. Not sure if Quarry can hold it back from the Top 3 even.

OK! I admit that I changed my opinion. THE MUSIC GREW UP on me and the album is beginning to touch me.
I posted a commentary 3-4 days ago. At first, when I listened it for the first time, I thank that it was his worst release and I didn't understand. For many who liked the first 5 songs, I advice them to listen more the other songs. For example I feel the title " The girl ..." very embarrassing for him musically. But more and more I listen to it and I' m close to think that it is one of my favorites. The music is really good, the musicians made their job. It's so rich and I accepted the production. It's so far with the usually Morrissey's songs that many fans the first hour must be lost. But it's very exciting.Morrissey doesn't have to blush because his interpretation is excellent also in this register. An other one : I thought the title "Police" was horrible and finally I have accepted it and have founded some interesting it. We are very far from the usual Morrissey sound and it's no worse. I think "Israel" is beautiful and "in your Lap" too. So I would say that I prefer now the second side of the release because it's more original. And Morrissey continue to give us his emotions in his voice. How great he is like singer !!! I don't know like person and I repeat that I don't judge the lyrics because I'm French. I didn't try to translate all lyrics and finally perhaps it's better. But for exemple in "Israel", "I can't answer for what armies do, They are not you" I can dream that he mean that the world is not black or white.... and with this meaning, the song touches me. I needn't more, I can trip with the melody with my own politics ideas. But I understand English people who had to listen and they can not be carried away completely by the melody because the words can slow down their pleasure.... Perhaps it's a chance now to listen Morrissey when you are foreigner !!!
1) 3/5 too close to Glamorous Glue
2) 3/5 production would be better here I note more...
3) for me the most boring 2/5 "Years of refusal" (the production sounding just different)
4) classical Morrissey's song : 3/5
5) single catchy 3/5
6) opera rock : I understand more and more where he wanted to go 3,5/5
7) mature song ( I don't judge the lyrics) 4,5/5
8) For me "Girl" is the best !!! 5/5
9) I can't change easily my opinion that it could be the most beautiful single with a such refrain but the production and the structure of the song breaks me !!! 3,5/5
10) There are so many breaks in the melody and we found already this writing elsewhere in "Word Peace" 4/5
11) I'm surprised myself that I can now give a 3,5/5
12) Israel really great 5/5

Actually, on 34th and 35th listen, I am actually starting to really enjoy this album. I love you again, Morrissey.

Benny-the-British-Butcher

Interesting stuff Married. From past comments I think you also loved the Bona Drag era and didn't much like You are the Quarry so expecting to agree with you on most of this when I finally get the album.

Yeah Bona Drag is definitely my favourite collection of Morrissey songs. I like Quarry but I don't play it that much. I listen to the Quarry B sides more than the album actually.

The more i listen to the new album the more im enjoying it. Still not his best work, but growing on me more and more. Im interested to see what b sides come from it.

What's Tom Watson doing? lol

upload_2017-11-22_19-0-10.png

Looks like there’s a ‘rare’ unsigned test pressing on ebay..

HI!

It's been a while. Been playing this a lot lately. Here's my track by track:

1) "My Love, I'd Do Anything For You" - MONSTER of an opener. Has that "Your Arsenal" glam rock swagger. LOVE it. Hoping he does it live next week.

2) "I Wish You Lonely" - Probably my favorite of the 3 singles released in advance of the album. It's catchy. Some cool lyrics.

3) "Jacky's Only Happy When She's Up On The Stage" - Like the above song, it's catchy and rockin'. I'm just glad that the reports of the lyrics being "BREXIT, EXIT" at the end were rubbish LOL

4) "Home Is A Question Mark" - Instant classic Morrissey track. This is the kind of song he's so great at writing. This could've been on "You Are the Quarry" IMO. Fits in with that feel. Much like "My Love..." I'm hoping he does this one live next week.

5) "Spent The Day In Bed" - Was completely underwhelmed with this when it was released in September. I've grown to quite enjoy it over time. Like the other two singles thus far, it's extremely catchy. Some of the lyrics are "EH" to me (the whole "Fake News" type vibe) but when he sings that "Time, do as I wish" refrain it's just classic Moz to me.

6) "I Bury The Living' - This is the "I'm Not A Man" of LIHS. Longest track, lots going on. That said, the ending kinda comes out of no where. I like it more each time I listen.

7) "In Your Lap" - One of the best on here. Reminds me of late 80's/early 90's era. Very nice piano based ballad.

8) "The Girl From Tel Aviv Who Wouldn't Kneel" - Is it just me or does this have a total "Kill Uncle" vibe to it? I could definitely see this being a track from that album. It's something different for Moz - I like it.

9) "All The Young People Must Fall In Love" - I'm guessing this is an anti-Trump tune? "Presidents come, presidents go...". HA. Good song though, very sing-a-long-y.

10) "When You Open Your Legs" - This album really has that "Ringleaders" feel with all these naughty type lyrics huh? Classic Moz type tune though. I'm sold on it.

11) "Who Will Protect Us From The Police?" -I think this is "Ganglord Part 2". I'm actually really into the electronic sound of it. I enjoy this song - a lot of people seem to be not into it. Oh well.

12) "Israel" - A nice, haunting ballad to end the record.

All in all, I gotta say this is more solid than WPINOYB (there's two songs from that album I'd remove off in favor of B-Sides - whereas so far there's no skippable tracks on this one for me)

That said - I'm really discouraged by the things he's been saying lately - and getting to the point where I can't defend. But if I'm letting the music speak for itself - this album is an 8/10.

The album is now £7.99 on Amazon (was £9.99). They drop the price a couple of days after eventually sending me my copy. Typical.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom