"Low In High School" released (Nov. 17, 2017)

Low In High School is out now.
41311_low_in_high_school.jpg

Easily his weakest album so far. His voice is fine (the ONE AND ONLY positive thing). :thumb:
BUT :eek:
Arrangements are generally weak (you cannot compare this with Refusal). Lyrics are so shallow and repetitive. :straightface: Same themes, twelve songs. Boring as hell. :squiffy: It is like limbo.

"Hooray we're pro-Brexit guys." :guitar:
"We love Israel (and those who dislike this country are jealous!!)." :rock:
"Police forces are comin' please don't hurt us" :tears:
"Soldiers falling (what for?)". :paranoid:

At the beginning, he seems to be a pacifist man, criticising wars and arming. But then he praises a country that spends billions of dollars to create arms. That's interesting. Easily poor Lebanese and Palestinian kids are so jealous of this ! Huh ? :crazy:

Another thing is, still Ganglord and Bores are better than new "police violence" anthemes. Sigh.

Really laughed hard during his "Venezuela" screaming. :lbf: Does he really knows what's going on there ? I dunno. Probably watched tv so much during spending his day in bed.

But I know one thing well, he really thinks that Arab Spring was a good thing. This is absolutely LOL. Dictators felt but most of those countries faced with civil wars and economic turmoils. Maybe he's not aware of this fact since he didn't include Syria and Libya in his "political" song, World Peace Is None Of Bla Bla.

Lastly, he better watch tv less and read articles more. An album full of patchy politically themed songs.

I prefer to listen an album with full of Morrisseyesque songs rather political thrash songs. SO SAD. Know that nobody would care but I must admit, it's over. Done with this man.

Cindy Love.

You mean Margaret on the Guillotine wasn’t nasty, or Hang the DJ for that matter.
Once again, as indeed with the Bowie analogy, you are talking nonsense.

Margaret On The Guillotine is probably a poor example, as it is so superior as a piece of work to anything Morrissey has produced in the thick end of fifteen years it serves to almost prove my point. We Brits are a strange bunch. We rather enjoy our political leaders being taken down a few pegs. There was a certain panache evident in Margaret missing from similarly controversial work he has produced in recent years.

It came at the fag end of the Thatcher government and captured a mood amongst many in the nation at that time. It is almost a lullaby in tone despite the violent imagery.

Listen to the clunking tripe of “I Bury The Living” and then “Margaret On The Guillotine” and tell me you can’t hear the difference.

Really laughed hard during his "Venezuela" screaming. :lbf: Does he really knows what's going on there ? I dunno. Probably watched tv so much during spending his day in bed.

Venezuela doesn’t pay its bills on time either. Maybe that’s why he likes it so much.

A lot of very harsh critics... It isn't hist, I will admit that, but it is listenable.

Jacky and I Wish You Lonely are very good ones we have known a while. I do think a lot of the songs are a little softer on the album, which I don't think helps Home Is a Question Mark, but I still really like that one.

A lot of people hating on I Bury the Living, but I actually really like that one. Lyrically a little less clunky than a lot of others, I actually like the message and think it has the very Morrissey dark humour there.

In Your Lap is not great, and the Girl from Tel Aviv is a bit repetitive and musically nothing remotely new or interesting.

The music in All the Young People, with that f***ing oboe or whatever it is XD, that is a bit annoying, but I still think it is alright, catchy in parts, nice message.

Israel is alright too. Who Will Protect Us From the Police is not as bad as I feared, don't mind it actually.

My first impressions are that it is better the World Peace. Catchier certainly. Maybe getting a little too political in parts, as others have said, but there is a bit of variety in themes, and some of the lyrics still are cleverer than some are making them out to be.

Like I say though, not the best... I do still want another album in a few years though, and not just because 12 albums means a full calendar (genuine concern of mine), I still think the album has produced some very good tracks.

Oh, and another positive that I have not seen ANYBODY mention (and yes I know it is very minor)... It is actually in a jewel case! Not one of those crappy card wallets/card gatefold things.

Is Morrissey today capable of a “Where Are We Now?” or “Lazarus”?

Well, I am a big fan of both songs but Bowie was 65 and over when he wrote them. I do think a Morrissey in his advancing years is almost certain to write a death is at the door album like Bowie and Cohen did. Morrissey is a little young perhaps... though actually Dylan did one too in his mid-50, but then survived.

I think it's a great album, which starts to falter when it comes to The Girl From Tel-Aviv Who Wouldn’t Kneel and then again with Who Will Protect Us From The Police. Although on their own these songs aren't too bad but among the rest they sound weak.

The opening, My Love, I’d Do Anything For You, is a fantastic 'Morrissey is BACK!' track with. I was taken by surprise by those strong horns because they haven't featured in the live sets, but I love them! Home Is A Question Mark is pretty similar to the live versions we've heard so far, and is a standout track. The biggest standout track for me, though, is I Bury The Living. It will cause offence but that's nothing when compared to the cause and consequences of war itself. It's a reality check, many people need.

Although there are two weak tracks on this album, the studio version of All The Young People Must Fall In Love is slightly less lively, which is unfortunate. However, all-in-all this is a great album. It surpasses WPINOYB but feels like the right continuation musically and lyrically from that album, and ultimately in the right direction. I feel Morrissey has said all he needs to about the world and its troubles, politically, and I look forward to a more intimate and personal album next time.

Viva Morrissey!

The absolute worst Morrissey album to date.

Morrissey acts like a condescending know-it-all. His lack of education and insight makes him sound childish and out of touch with reality.

Low in High School is nothing more than political rants put to mediocre music.

He’s a singing Donald Trump.
yep.JPG
Dear Bosie, new LP is great, of course :).

It is absolutely dreadful. I was embarrassed for him, frankly. I think it outstrips Roy’s Keen as his worst ever. The one about protecting us from the Thames Valley Police is pretty dire too. I don’t know what it’s like where you live, but my local Odd Lot are mostly under 5ft 5” and carry all the gravitas and public confidence of a hippy social worker. As for the rest of the album, well, it isn’t as rotten to the core as World Peace. There are actually some tunes on this one. Funny what passes for good news these days.

Two days ago I listened to Vauxhall & I all the way through, and enjoyed it so much I did so again immediately afterwards. As we know it explores all the usual Morrissey themes of loneliness, alienation, unrequited love and requited love gone wrong, but it never preaches. Each track is a little vignette, and each flows into the other naturally. His last two albums have been trying instead to educate people rather than entertain, which is fine if the teacher is demonstrably correct.

Low In High School, like World Peace before, sees Morrissey, once more, not as wry social commentator but angry tubthumping evangelist. It doesn’t suit him. The songs The Queen Is Dead and Meat Is Murder do the same, but in clever, more subtle ways. The first amusingly, the second chillingly. That subtlety, that memorable turn of phrase have now gone, and I miss it.

I still maintain that perhaps one day when he’s finally shuffled off this mortal coil - hopefully many, many years from now - we might discover what happened to him circa 2011/12/13 that turned him from an irascible charmer with a glint in his eye into this pugnacious, out of touch arsehole. Whatever it was, be it health issues, relationship, finances, or all three plus other things, it effectively wrecked his career.

I’m sorry to bring up Bowie, but it seems apt taking into account their animosity to one another, and that there was a time when it was fair to say Morrissey was entitled to be mentioned in the same breath, but Bowie continually sought new collaborators. It was always recognisably Him, but surrounding himself with a pool of talent who would come running even on the off chance of working with the great man.

Morrissey had that opportunity but wasted it. Whether he still has that “power to charm” is arguable, but it is no-ones fault but his own. Others have part shares in the decline, but in the end it’s down to him.

I watch his rare television appearances these days and see Graham Norton or Jools Holland blow smoke up his arse and then being cheered to the rafters by the audience and I think “These people don’t know him at all,” confident in the knowledge he’d see every man jack of them lined up kneeling at a mass grave and shot in the neck.

Perhaps exploring the darker recesses of the human condition so extensively has finally got to him.

Will this be his swan song? Now the industry has changed I suspect he’ll only make music while he is healthy enough to tour it, as that’s where the money is now. There’s no point making an album in the hope it’ll sell enough to cover its production costs anymore.

David Robert Jones
non-existant right after Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps), released on 12 September 1980.

His voice is in great form and the production is good also, challenging himself with some new styles and arrangements. WWPUFTP could fit on Depeche Mode’s latest album.

I already enjoyed the new songs that have been performed live and Israel would be my clear highlight from the rest. Will have to sit with the others.

How anyone can like or even love this album is truly beyond me.

M. is trying so very hard to shove his worldview down my throat, but his views are so Trump-esque and intellectually underwhelming, it’s makes my skin crawl.

He’s the local drunk nobody wants to talk to.

This is truly his worst album to date.

The sad part is I can’t listen to the Smiths anymore without thinking about this big smelly turd of an album.

Thank you for pissing all over your legacy, Moz.

I wish you lonely.

How anyone can like or even love this album is truly beyond me.

M. is trying so very hard to shove his worldview down my throat, but his views are so Trump-esque and intellectually underwhelming, it’s makes my skin crawl.

He’s the local drunk nobody wants to talk to.

This is truly his worst album to date.

The sad part is I can’t listen to the Smiths anymore without thinking about this big smelly turd of an album.

Thank you for pissing all over your legacy, Moz.

I wish you lonely.

It's OK Eric. Just move on. Even Bosie did.
You could enjoy Nick Cave last (vacuum) album. (During) He (Nick Cave) was doing (born 1957) hair transplants (in same clinic as Elton John) when his son was going in deep drug affair - there is thing to think about.
It's funny how the world goes on... ...

Back
Top Bottom