"Low In High School" reviews (first on French site Gonzaï)

Chronique non autorisée du « Low In High School » de Morrissey - Gonzaï

It's in French, and Google gives a ropey translation. The last paragraph seems to suggest it's either a spoof, or one member of staff has a copy of the album. Any French speakers able to help?

Reviews will be added to this post as they come in.

Last edited by a moderator:

'Vegas' ? wtf ? too soon, g23, too soon.

Oh deer gods. It has zero to do with mass shooting and everything to do with sending Morrissey's album straight to the top! I don't think Ol' Tom was thinking about violence when he wrote that back in 1987. Maybe being boozy at a craps table, but that ain't no crime.

I’m just interested in the extra length of ‘I Bury the Living’. I wasn’t too sure the French review was legitimate (since usually this early in an album’s gestation period before it’s distributed kicking and screaming into the world and online, the only reviews are made up or edited to the point where they only cover the tracks that we’ve heard) but I'm more inclined to believe it's a true thing since the follow up anon post.
I think the anon post is legitimate.

I fear that listening to three minutes of ambient noise written to bulk the song out or make it 'epic', (now there's a word that's banded around too much in this day and age!) would dissuade me from repeat listening

Last edited:
Typical vapid, music-journalist bollocks. Are the songs good or not. What do they sound like and what are the key lyrics? Keep the rest of the flowery shite for the novel you’re never going to write.

Personal opinion, and each to their own, but I really hated the ambient field recordings at the start of I'm Not a Man. Added absolutely nothing.

Personal opinion, and each to their own, but I really hated the ambient field recordings at the start of I'm Not a Man. Added absolutely nothing.

Yes, it was pointless stuff. Nothing wrong with a long intro of course (e.g. Last Night I Dreamt) but there needs to be something interesting musical going on.

I think if it was the opening track or the final track, I wouldn't mind it so much. But because it's the third track it really disturbs the flow of the album, for me. I very rarely listen to it without skipping the first minute and a half.

I kind of liked it.
When hearing it for the first time, I thought it was on a ship, with a far away constant enginesound and I heard doors closing and the resonating sounds all contributing to a claustrophobic feeling as being kept imprisoned deep down in some machine chamber of the ship.

When the song begins and Moz starts singing about not being a man (well, not in the first place) but a person, a human being, an individual, and that for him that is something bigger than a man (and all the downsides of the clichéd image of "a man") it really moved me.

I thought the intro was powerful and strong.
Daring and very much related to the content of the song.
" I'm Not A Man " is one of his most powerful, emotional and vulnerable songs ever.

There is no one in the musicscene who dares to do this and keep his artistic integrity intact as he did.
No one.

Long intros to songs are not in keeping with streaming requirements where royalties are only paid after 30 seconds of a stream. Hence why most pop songs no longer have extended intros

I didn’t think much of the intro to I’m not a man one way or the other. It didn’t really bother me and just builds anticipation for the song imo. I was surprised when people were upset about it

I kind of liked it.
When hearing it for the first time, I thought it was on a ship, with a far away constant enginesound and I heard doors closing and the resonating sounds all contributing to a claustrophobic feeling as being kept imprisoned deep down in some machine chamber of the ship.

When the song begins and Moz starts singing about not being a man (well, not in the first place) but a person, a human being, an individual, and that for him that is something bigger than a man (and all the downsides of the clichéd image of "a man") it really moved me.

I thought the intro was powerful and strong.
Daring and very much related to the content of the song.
" I'm Not A Man " is one of his most powerful, emotional and vulnerable songs ever.

There is no one in the musicscene who dares to do this and keep his artistic integrity intact as he did.
No one.

I could not agree with you more on that. Morrissey did cut it on I'm not a man....I like the imagery you were able to conceive upon listening to the intro...
I didn’t think much of the intro to I’m not a man one way or the other. It didn’t really bother me and just builds anticipation for the song imo. I was surprised when people were upset about it

Apparently ‘ I bury the living’ has a minute of ‘noise’ as the intro.... oh no!
I knew it! Moz reads this site and saw my hilarious comment about that daft intro to 'I'm not a humasexual' and decided to rub my nose in it by doing the same for 'I bury the living'. He has some cheek. Doesn't he know how much money I've put into his pockets down through the milennia?? Here I am sitting in the eye of a bloody hurricane in Ireland, looking for some good news, only to find Moz has personally dissed me. Ah well at least I know I'm important and that Moz reads my posts. Probably prints them out too I'd say. Along with Benny's poetry.

Thanks a lot, but no more reviews for me until I have listened the full album. They cause me too much anxiety. Even more when I don't agree with some of those people's reviews of released tracks. One month seems a lot of time...

I could not agree with you more on that. Morrissey did cut it on I'm not a man....I like the imagery you were able to conceive upon listening to the intro...

Yeah I liked that too, for the fist few listens. Then I just got bored ;)

"In Your Lap however is a rather tuneless piano-led plodder, in which Morrissey lists world events and wars only to say that he wants to put his face in your lap instead."
Morrissey's eldergay take on compulsive sex acts is seriously starting to gross me out.
Of course Morrissey is going to attack Jesus (again). He's been flashing that "OK" 666 hand symbol since he got his comeback. Serve your masters, Stephen...

"In Your Lap however is a rather tuneless piano-led plodder, in which Morrissey lists world events and wars only to say that he wants to put his face in your lap instead."
Morrissey's eldergay take on compulsive sex acts is seriously starting to gross me out.
Of course Morrissey is going to attack Jesus (again). He's been flashing that "OK" 666 hand symbol since he got his comeback. Serve your masters, Stephen...

FFS He gas forgiven him!
But I can't forgive you for calling him Stephen.
That is not his name.

Yes, first rule of Morrissey-Solo, if you're going to troll then please do get the name right.

To be honest, if he or she would have said anything complimetary, I would have forgiven him or her.
I am a honest, happy hippocrite and I make my own rules. :)

Tags
low in high school info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom