Ludus downloads (again)

nightandday

Littlecharmer has asked me to re-upload some of the Ludus tracks from my earlier thread, and obviously I won't say no, how could I? So here it is.

Little Girls - B-side to Breaking The Rules, their last single (1983). Some of the catchiest/poppiest stuff they ever did.

Too Hot To Handle (live) One of the 3 live tracks from their (in)famous gig at Hacienda in 1982 that were included on "The Damage" compilation. I really like it, but the vocal can't be heard that clearly, as it can happen in live recordings. I can make out the words to the chorus ("I ask for bread, and he gives me stones..."), but not the rest of the song. Does anyone have a clue what she's singing? Unfortunately there's no studio version available. There's supposed to be a Peel session, but they have never been released.

from their first EP "The Visit" (1980) :

Sightseeing

Lullaby Cheat This one has quite disturbing lyrics, I'd say. Not that her other lyrics are exactly all pink and fluffy. :rolleyes: Interestingly, Morrissey quoted this a line from this song as a headline for one of the chapter is his book about James Dean: "Touch-me-not, my mother's fixed me".

I Can't Swim, I Have Nightmares - free-form, improvisational stuff. Quite different from poppy songs like Breaking the Rules.

from "Pickpocket" (1981) :

Mutilate

Mouthpiece You'll probably be interested in what Linder said about a line from this song in a 2004 interview: "At the moment, Morrissey and I both retire to bed with the poet Marianne Moore. We may be on different sides of the Atlantic but we know what makes for a good read. With Ludus I sang, "I steal your books and you steal mine". It was, of course, about him. "

from "The Seduction" (1982) - their best record in many people's opinion:

Herstory - this is one of their longest and weirdest songs, the structure is very unusual. Basically, it seems like one long jam, made of several songs. First they start off with a few verses from Mutilate, then they seem to slide into a new song, then they start playing Inheritance (another song from "The Seduction"), the middle part is made of 'concrete sounds' and then they do a slightly different version of Mother's Hour, and finish off with Mouthpiece. (This is from the reissue CD; the original vinyl record had a shorter version.) I think the title is probably meant to be ambigious, 'herstory' is a term from feminist literature (pun on 'history'), but it could also mean 'her story'.

Unveiled (A Woman's Travelogue) - another long, unusually structured song. One of my favourites.

and now for something completely different:

What A Falling Off Was There - it's amazing that this was on the same record (1982 EP "Nue au Soleil") as Let Me Go Where My Pictures Go or the cover of Brigitte Bardot's Nue au soleil. This has nothing to do with pop music, it's basically a 6-minute long free jazz improvisation with Linder screaming and crying (similar to what they did on their LP "Danger Came Smiling") and speaking just one line at the very end. But... I actually really like it. :) Not everyone would, though...

and finally, here's a rarity: the extended (6 min. long) version of My Cherry Is In Sherry, from "The Seduction". If you have the Ludus reissue CDs, this track is not on any of them! For whatever reason, CD "The Visit/The Seduction" includes the short version of My Cherry Is In Sherry that people are more familiar with, which was actually the A-side of a 1980 single. (It's also on "The Damage") This is a vinyl rip. I don't own the original double EP of "The Seduction", but I found it on Soulseek.

My Cherry Is In Sherry (long version)

Littlecharmer has asked me to re-upload some of the Ludus tracks from my earlier thread, and obviously I won't say no, how could I? So here it is.

Little Girls - B-side to Breaking The Rules, their last single (1983). Some of the catchiest/poppiest stuff they ever did.

Too Hot To Handle (live) One of the 3 live tracks from their (in)famous gig at Hacienda in 1982 that were included on "The Damage" compilation. I really like it, but the vocal can't be heard that clearly, as it can happen in live recordings. I can make out the words to the chorus ("I ask for bread, and he gives me stones..."), but not the rest of the song. Does anyone have a clue what she's singing? Unfortunately there's no studio version available. There's supposed to be a Peel session, but they have never been released.

from their first EP "The Visit" (1980) :

Sightseeing

Lullaby Cheat This one has quite disturbing lyrics, I'd say. Not that her other lyrics are exactly all pink and fluffy. :rolleyes: Interestingly, Morrissey quoted this a line from this song as a headline for one of the chapter is his book about James Dean: "Touch-me-not, my mother's fixed me".

I Can't Swim, I Have Nightmares - free-form, improvisational stuff. Quite different from poppy songs like Breaking the Rules.

from "Pickpocket" (1981) :

Mutilate

Mouthpiece You'll probably be interested in what Linder said about a line from this song in a 2004 interview: "At the moment, Morrissey and I both retire to bed with the poet Marianne Moore. We may be on different sides of the Atlantic but we know what makes for a good read. With Ludus I sang, "I steal your books and you steal mine". It was, of course, about him. "

from "The Seduction" (1982) - their best record in many people's opinion:

Herstory - this is one of their longest and weirdest songs, the structure is very unusual. Basically, it seems like one long jam, made of several songs. First they start off with a few verses from Mutilate, then they seem to slide into a new song, then they start playing Inheritance (another song from "The Seduction"), the middle part is made of 'concrete sounds' and then they do a slightly different version of Mother's Hour, and finish off with Mouthpiece. (This is from the reissue CD; the original vinyl record had a shorter version.) I think the title is probably meant to be ambigious, 'herstory' is a term from feminist literature (pun on 'history'), but it could also mean 'her story'.

Unveiled (A Woman's Travelogue) - another long, unusually structured song. One of my favourites.

and now for something completely different:

What A Falling Off Was There - it's amazing that this was on the same record (1982 EP "Nue au Soleil") as Let Me Go Where My Pictures Go or the cover of Brigitte Bardot's Nue au soleil. This has nothing to do with pop music, it's basically a 6-minute long free jazz improvisation with Linder screaming and crying (similar to what they did on their LP "Danger Came Smiling") and speaking just one line at the very end. But... I actually really like it. :) Not everyone would, though...

and finally, here's a rarity: the extended (6 min. long) version of My Cherry Is In Sherry, from "The Seduction". If you have the Ludus reissue CDs, this track is not on any of them! For whatever reason, CD "The Visit/The Seduction" includes the short version of My Cherry Is In Sherry that people are more familiar with, which was actually the A-side of a 1980 single. (It's also on "The Damage") This is a vinyl rip. I don't own the original double EP of "The Seduction", but I found it on Soulseek.

My Cherry Is In Sherry (long version)

Thank you so much. :)

Back
Top Bottom