Ludus - downloads

nightandday

For imogen11 and anyone else who's interested. (sorry if there are any Mac users - these are wma files.)

The first two are not among my favourite Ludus songs, but they are certainly their best-known and probably the catchiest:

Let Me Go Where My Pictures Go (1982)

Breaking The Rules (1983)

Some other songs of my choice:

Mirror Mirror (1982)

The Escape Artist (1982)

The Fool (1981)

Mother's Hour (1981)

Patient (1981)

See The Keyhole (1982)

and one without lyrics:

Hugo Blanco (1981)

I tried not to include any of the weirder and more improvisational tracks (even though some of them are among my favourites). :)

I often wonder: do people like Ludus because Morrissey likes them as well? I never listened to them, I'll give it a shot, but sometimes I get that impression.

I often wonder: do people like Ludus because Morrissey likes them as well? I never listened to them, I'll give it a shot, but sometimes I get that impression.
Many people have heard (of) them only because of Morrissey, but I don't think anyone can like something just because Morrissey likes it. Besides, there might be a problem if someone expects them to sound similar to The Smiths/Moz, and of course their music is very different.

From what I've seen on music forums, last.fm and CD review sites so far, Ludus fans (not that there are too many of them) fall into 2 categories: people who have discovered them though Morrissey, and those who are not that much into Morrissey, but are into weird post-punk music.

Here's one of the fans that definitely didn't get into them because of Morrissey :D From Henry Rollins site, or rather online broadcast:

http://harmonyinmyhead.com/playlist_main.html

playlist #36, date 09-05-06

"Ludus - I Can't Swim I Have Nightmares: It’s not surprising that it took me a couple of decades for me to catch up. Recently, I was researching some facts on The Buzzcocks and came across some information about the band Ludus. Ludus released a record on the Buzzcocks label New Hormones. The band’s singer, Linder Sterling, designed The Buzzcocks Orgasm Addict single cover. I looked up their releases and saw that they had been reissued on CD and the reviews were really interesting so I got some of their CDs. I checked out the CDs when they came in and I have to say, I am a fan and I have never heard anything quite like them. What is it, Post Punk Jazz? I don’t know but I found myself listening to them quite a bit. Their release, Danger Came Smiling, had me completely distracted from doing anything else but listening when I played it recently. If you liked what you heard tonight, there’s a CD that has the band’s first two releases The Visit and The Seduction. The track you heard tonight was taken from The Visit. Here’s an informative bio: http://home.wxs.nl/~frankbri/ludushis.html "

Well, there's something else he has in common with Moz. :D Although Henry obviously prefers their weirder, more experimental free jazz stuff ("Danger Came Smiling" and the track "I Can't Swim, I Have Nightmares").

nightandday, thank you bunches... it's frustrating trying to find downloads of their music and as much as i'd love to buy it, their albums are quite difficult to come across also. i haven't heard most of these tracks, and please, feel free to upload the "weirder and more improvisational tracks". would love to hear those also.

Ok then, here's some more. Any feedback from anyone else?

My Cherry Is In Sherry (1980) :D 'a two-minute pop song about hormonal victory'

Sightseeing (1980)

Mutilate (1981)

Mouthpiece (1981)

She-She (1982)

Little Girls (1983) - B-side to the single Breaking The Rules, sounds similarly catchy

Too Hot To Handle (live) (1982) - recorded at their famous gig in Hacienda in November 1982. Too bad that there is no studio version available (there should be a Peel session, but it hasn't been released), because the track is badly mixed and I can't understand half of what she's singing. And I still love the song - this must be the angriest, most ferocious Linder has ever sounded!

and as a bonus:

It's amazing what you can find on Soulseek! I even found the scans of the sleeve and booklet for the cassette "Pickpocket". The booklet contains amazing artistic black and white photographs of Linder (my avatar comes from one of the photos), and some of the lyrics from Mutilate, The Fool and Mouthpiece (even though there's no complete lyric sheet). This you don't get with the CDs.

nor this: the insert for the 1981 single Mother's Hour/Patient, with the lyrics sheet.

I Can't Swim, I Have Nightmares (1980) - this is where it gets weirder: after the first 20 or so seconds, it turns into free-jazz chaos

Lullaby Cheat (1980) - musically this track isn't weird, but lyrics are quite... disturbing

As someone said, Ludus didn't strive for homogenity, and here is the best proof of that: a couple of long tracks with an unusual structure... as if they're made of a few different songs:

Unveiled (A Woman's Travelogue) (1982)

Herstory (1982) - this one is literally made of 5 (at least) different songs: they start with Mutilate, then slide into a new song, then continue with Inheritance (another track from the same album), then... the middle part (I think this is called 'concrete sounds'), and then a different take on Mother's Hour and Mouthpiece. All this in 8 minutes... do you think it works? I think it does.

and now to the downright weird and 'avantgarde':

What A Falling Off Was There (1982) Oddly enough, this was on the same EP as "Let Me Go Where My Pictures Go" and their cover of Brigitte Bardot's "Nue au Soleil"! This is basically 6 minutes of jazz improvisation (including 2 saxophones), combined with Linder screaming and crying... but if you manage to get through it, you'll hear one line that she speaks at the end. (I only say 'if you manage to gt through' because something like this is not to everyone's taste... personally, I love this track.)

And then there's the album "Danger Came Smiling", which is like that throughout, very experimenta land anti-pop. I was quite baffled and disappointed with it at first, because they are no actual 'songs'. The music is avantgarde jazz, and there are no lyrics and no singing - instead, Linder just contributes screams, weeping, hysterical laughter... except 1 short song that she sings a capella, two even shorter spoken poems, and one ("Invasion of Compulsory Sex Morality", named after Wilhelm Reich's book) where she reads what is supposed to be a diary of Reichian therapy - although you can't hear it very well because the background music is too loud. here are a few short tracks to give you the idea what it all sounds like:

Howling Comique

Flogging Cully

Mistresspiece

I came to really like this album with time (well, at least half of the album, some tracks I could still do without)... even though at first I thought that the song titles were the best thing about it. Really interesting titles there - some obviously referencing Angela Carter ("Bloody Chamber") or James Joyce ("Mememoremee"), some are quite amusing... best of all is "You Open My Legs Like A Book" ;) :cool: I had to look up some of them in dictionaries - I didn't know that "Crinkum Crankum" was one of the slang terms for female genitals, "Foaming At The Bit" means, well, being moist, and "Flogging Cully" is actually a 17th century term for 'a person who gets pleasure from being whipped'. :cool:

bump....

you better hurry, imogen, I don't know how long sendspace files last, but they don't last forever.

Thanks nightandday - just tried to download here at work but downloads are blocked. Will try as soon as I can get online outside of work - promise! :)

I have to make some Ludus t-shirts...as soon as my silkscreen fabric arrives! I have some prettay neat ideas. Although I don't know how many people would want to buy them. However, there's always me and myself and well, yeah.

Ok then, here's some more. Any feedback from anyone else?

Sightseeing (1980)

Mutilate (1981)

Mouthpiece (1981)

Little Girls (1983) - B-side to the single Breaking The Rules, sounds similarly catchy

Too Hot To Handle (live) (1982) - recorded at their famous gig in Hacienda in November 1982. Too bad that there is no studio version available (there should be a Peel session, but it hasn't been released), because the track is badly mixed and I can't understand half of what she's singing. And I still love the song - this must be the angriest, most ferocious Linder has ever sounded!

Is there any chance of anybody reuploading these tracks?
Thanks

i really really like their song on under the influence. i'm anxious to download these other songs, thanks for putting them up

nevermind...not available :-\, the effort is still appreciated though

Back
Top Bottom