Market Research. If I Ran a Forum....

Last week when a thread about mozwa was posted Kate had an idea to start her own forums which is the background of this thread.

Solo is Solo, it won't have a makeover for the time being.

ah i see! but i think some of the ideas are brilliant - and i only want one place to come to chat about Morrissey - and that should be Solo.

ah i see! but i think some of the ideas are brilliant - and i only want one place to come to chat about Morrissey - and that should be Solo.

David doesn't want to have too many forums for practical reasons.
Adding sub-forums to general discussion was suggested before, but turned down. :o

Dear TCM, for what it's worth I think it's a brilliant idea!

I like my user-name Grim O'Grady, I've had it a long time & people know me & either know what to avoid or what to discuss when they see it, so it would be a shame if I had to lose it but it's be a price well worth paying for a decently run Smiths/Morrissey website, god knows we need one!

I'd even suggest a nominal membership fee for each registered name, it'll help with the running costs & hopefully detract the less pleasant people etc?

Morrissey Chat sounds a bit naff tbh, too much like Hello! Morrissey, maybe you should run a thread for what a good name for a new Smiths/Morrissey website should be called?

My suggestion would be Smithsdom.com

love

Grim

Dear TCM, for what it's worth I think it's a brilliant idea!

I like my user-name Grim O'Grady, I've had it a long time & people know me & either know what to avoid or what to discuss when they see it, so it would be a shame if I had to lose it but it's be a price well worth paying for a decently run Smiths/Morrissey website, god knows we need one!

I'd even suggest a nominal membership fee for each registered name, it'll help with the running costs & hopefully detract the less pleasant people etc?

Morrissey Chat sounds a bit naff tbh, too much like Hello! Morrissey, maybe you should run a thread for what a good name for a new Smiths/Morrissey website should be called?

My suggestion would be Smithsdom.com

love

Grim

Thanks for the suggestions, Grim. Yes, I think a good name will be tricky to come by.

...what would you like to see in it? This is about one third to one half serious, as from time to time I do contemplate starting up my own Morrissey/General Chat forum when this one annoys me.

Here are my thoughts so far:

Structure.

General Discussion Like on Solo, with sub-forums for tour news, downloads, etc.
Fen Den For fan art, embarrassing fannish outpourings, your home-brewed cover versions, showing off your etched 10"-ers and that sort of thing. Probably with a Buy and Sell sub-forum in there as well.
Frinkers' Ghetto With artist sub-forums. Makes the frink easier to avoid. :D
Other Music If it isn't Morrissey or the Smiths. To include sub-forums for ex-Smiths, Lads/ex-Lads.
Off Topic Including a "Births, Marriages and Deaths" thread, a "Happy Birthday" thread and a "Congratulations on Making X Amount of Posts" thread. Attempts at duplication will be merged.
Sin Bin If I don't like your thread, I will lock it and then move it to here for others to sneer at.
Nuts and Bolts Forum news, gremlins and other issues.

Note: The forum would be for the fans, not the artist. It would not seek the sanction or approval of Morrissey. If Morrissey turned out to like the place, that would be delightful, but it's not an essential part of the brief.

What do you think? All suggestions (sensible and/or amusing) welcome.

Kate

:)

You sound much too sensible for such an endeavour! I fear for the Sin Bin. I think that would become the focus of your site, sadly.

My suggestion of the name of the sites are:

Meet Me at the Fountain

Dreamt About Moz Last Night

Still Running Around

Why Do You Come Here?

:p

You sound much too sensible for such an endeavour! I fear for the Sin Bin. I think that would become the focus of your site, sadly.

I thought of that. Threads would be locked and THEN sent to the Bin. No new threads could be made in the Bin. It'd just be a pillory for prats.

My suggestion of the name of the sites are:

Meet Me at the Fountain

Dreamt About Moz Last Night

Still Running Around

Why Do You Come Here?

:p

Oh, I like the last one! :D

I'd wondered about the Star & Garter, and then I got on to silly pub-like names like the Quiff & Grimace before abandoning the idea. :rolleyes:

I'd keep some areas of my forum as members-only, too. You'd probably have to have x-number of posts to be let in to certain forums. Hopefully, the trolls would have shown their true colours before they got to that number, thus limiting their impact on the site. For the same reason, you might also have to have a certain number of posts before you could start a new thread. To help the new forum get going, people whose "history" I had from this site, would be able to skip those qualifying post counts.

But that would give people another excuse to post bucketloads of shite to get their postcounts up. Getting rid of post counts completely would be a great idea.

But that would give people another excuse to post bucketloads of shite to get their postcounts up. Getting rid of post counts completely would be a great idea.

I don't suppose post counts can be got rid of, although I'm guessing they could be hidden by admin. That's a fair point about the shite posts, but the mods would spot that sort of poster pretty quickly. Full reading/posting access needn't be given automatically.

If you want a lot of traffic, the way to get it is to offer something at your forum that you can't get here, and put it in the member's only section. When I had MDB I went from a few to about 200 members in just a couple of days when I started putting bootlegs in a member's only section. I do something similiar at the forum I run now.

If you'd like any help designing your forum, just let me know. ;)

If you want a lot of traffic, the way to get it is to offer something at your forum that you can't get here, and put it in the member's only section. When I had MDB I went from a few to about 200 members in just a couple of days when I started putting bootlegs in a member's only section. I do something similiar at the forum I run now.

If you'd like any help designing your forum, just let me know. ;)

Thanks, Cassius, for this offer and for your earlier help. :) Yes, I had thought of making the d/l threads members-only.... the challenge of course, is to offer what isn't already available on Solo. *scratches head*

I think the post count should stay but let it be reset to 0 after every 100 posts?

Site name suggestion Sorryisme.com

love

Grim

Would prissy prigs who don't like it up 'em be able to moan and groan then demand a ban for posters they don't like?
Whilst running amok with rudity, nudity, booty and bullshit themselves?

I think the post count should stay but let it be reset to 0 after every 100 posts?

Site name suggestion Sorryisme.com

love

Grim

Some people seem to take a quite a pride in their post counts. Maybe if someone gets a ban, when they return, they have to start at 0 again....

iconhell_surrealthoughtz_mwahahaa.gif

Back
Top Bottom