Marr plays Smiths - NME (November 4, 2021)

The petty tribalism on this site, where people feel the need to pit Morrissey and Marr against each other, champion one and slag off the other, and declare on the 'winner' is pretty hilarious - especially considering they've had nothing to do with each other for 35 years.

I like Morrissey's version - it's a big brutal heavy tremolo effect version that batters the ears live. I also like Marr's version, which is a more subtle, groovy version, with some more intricate guitar parts. Both are cool, and neither one existing harms the other. The more versions the merrier.

Christ's sake - these guys are 58 and 62 years old. Neither one will be alive and performing for that many more years. Let's enjoy them both whilst we can.

I'd have loved to attend a THE THE concert. I recently bought the 3LP Comeback Tour vinyl and it's excellent. Hopefully there might be a new THE THE album coming at some point. Marr was a great fit with Matt Johnson. By coincidence I'm listening to the amazing Soul Mining LP as I type this.
Soul Mining is one of my all time favorite albums.

So? Moz wrote them and is very proud of them. Not like marr, he's the real solow, he's just living from the past, Moz has a very successful solo career, and if he plays smiths songs it's for his own pleasure and not just for to please the fans OR BECAUSE HAS THE NEED TO FILL THE SETLIST WITH THEM.

:)

not only that, the dramatic one has to use a capo on the :guitar:
this happens when you dont know how to play the guitar good🤬
all the other members of his sucky group can play without it :hammer:

He's so bad at "singing"(if we can call that singing)
like really really bad
why is he doing it?
It's so terrible it's like he had a mission to ruin the song with his voice.

His voice is relevant, but there's nothing wrong with his voice, at least not compared to some of Morrissey's vocals, so the relevance is to his advantage.

His voice is relevant, but there's nothing wrong with his voice, at least not compared to some of Morrissey's vocals, so the relevance is to his advantage.

are you THE TIM MURPHY?:confused:
male model/DJ extraordinaire?😳

:hammer:

I find it quite galling that Marr never has a good word to say about Morrissey, in fact he often joins in with the lynch mob like a snake in the grass, yet he's happy to steal Morrissey lyrics and drag himself around the world on the back of them.

Morrissey employs musicians to play approximations of Marr's work, but he himself sings his own words, as he's always done (cover versions aside).

In conclusion I'd say that Morrissey is by far the more honourable of the two, a veritable paragon of virtue no less.

I find it quite galling that Marr never has a good word to say about Morrissey, in fact he often joins in with the lynch mob like a snake in the grass, yet he's happy to steal Morrissey lyrics and drag himself around the world on the back of them.

Morrissey employs musicians to play approximations of Marr's work, but he himself sings his own words, as he's always done (cover versions aside).

In conclusion I'd say that Morrissey is by far the more honourable of the two, a veritable paragon of virtue no less.

I agree with the first bit, but then he does have Poundland Guthrie whispering in his ear.

Everyone has their own opinions on lots of different things but I find some of the downright nasty bitter comments toward Johnny by some posters on here very strange, he was part of a band that created some fantastic music and now he's just out there enjoying himself and having a bit of success. Why on earth would anyone have a problem with that?

If people want to attack Johnny's singing, whatever... but it's a new level of stupidity and bitterness to be upset with him for playing Smiths songs.

Great guitarist. Great composer.

Weak singer. Johnny's singing is a major problem with his music. No thanks.

His band is very good though. Better than anything Morrissey has had since the old days.

Oh and ease off the enormously inflated ego a bit, Johnny, thank you.

That's not true at all. Have you ever listened to any of Johnny's interviews? Read Set the Boy Free? He speaks very well of Morrissey and the Smiths. You're reading other people's soundbites out of his longer interviews and clickbait tweets, taken out of context just like Morrissey's words are.

Everyone has their own opinions on lots of different things but I find some of the downright nasty bitter comments toward Johnny by some posters on here very strange, he was part of a band that created some fantastic music and now he's just out there enjoying himself and having a bit of success. Why on earth would anyone have a problem with that?
Everyone has their own opinions on lots of different things but I find some of the downright nasty bitter comments toward Morrissey by some posters on here very strange, he was part of a band that created some fantastic music and now he's just out there enjoying himself and having a bit of success. Why on earth would anyone have a problem with that?

£16 to stream a warm-up in a rented garage?
I feel like this thread is missing a rant about it being “all about the money, always has been”

Across
2. Rhymes with “bubble rampards“ (6,9)

Tags
johnny marr

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom