Marr plays Smiths - NME (November 4, 2021)

Musical perfection :love: ~ if you strip out the entirety of the vocal {hesitate to use the term 'singing'}. í have honestly heard drunk & high students render this lyric with greater meaning & import than here. í know that he {co}wrote the song, so it's kind of his dibs, but if you squint a certain way, it's the kind of vocal that could be taken as a slap in the face. Not quite Bernard Manning, but in that postcode.

But í would plight my troth to that guitar work.

As for the..barnett, í will only say this ~ it reminded me immediately of 2 things ~ a fella í went to school with called Chas Crawford, a trendy kind of hard nut who appeared with it first. In those days, round our way, they were called 'streaks'. They looked cheap and ridiculous then. And now. But nobody said as much to CC then as he had a well deserved reputation for 'chibbing'. So í feel bad for pointing it out re:JM, given his own glorious handiwork displayed here.
It also reminded me of my 'Aunt' Bridie ~ not an actual Aunt, just a gin buddy of my Mum's ~ who turned up at one of their 'sessions' with a similar hair do and the reaction was such that she didn't come back for the next 2 months...

ps ~ Rule #1 - the drummer should never be better dressed than the 'singer'.

Last edited:
not bad but not good, I mean ....

I’d rather tip toe though Morrissey’s two lips, rather than Marr’s... anytime .....

:cool:

Meet n greet ££££££££££

Marr's doing a world-wide live stream and Moz is releasing third-class demos on his website. Jealous much?

Musical perfection :love: ~ if you strip out the entirety of the vocal {hesitate to use the term 'singing'}. í have honestly heard drunk & high students render this lyric with greater meaning & import than here. í know that he {co}wrote the song, so it's kind of his dibs, but if you squint a certain way, it's the kind of vocal that could be taken as a slap in the face. Not quite Bernard Manning, but in that postcode.

But í would plight my troth to that guitar work.

As for the..barnett, í will only say this ~ it reminded me immediately of 2 things ~ a fella í went to school with called Chas Crawford, a trendy kind of hard nut who appeared with it first. In those days, round our way, they were called 'streaks'. They looked cheap and ridiculous then. And now. But nobody said as much to CC then as he had a well deserved reputation for 'chibbing'. So í feel bad for pointing it out re:JM, given his own glorious handiwork displayed here.
It also reminded me of my 'Aunt' Bridie ~ not an actual Aunt, just a gin buddy of my Mum's ~ who turned up at one of their 'sessions' with a similar hair do and the reaction was such that she didn't come back for the next 2 months...

ps ~ Rule #1 - the drummer should never be better dressed than the 'singer'.

I was so thrown off by the ... 'shirt' in the preview still that I didn't dare click 'play'.

Any chance of Ewok guest appearances in the video?

a5954725f41f7829f3d865db903e8436.jpg

A true Marr Masterpiece.
He’s looking and sounding better by the day

Marr's doing a world-wide live stream and Moz is releasing third-class demos on his website. Jealous much?

:lbf:

a live stream? is he totally broke FFS?:mad:
a worldwide stream to his 4 twat followers world wide. :lbf:

:hammer:

I think he does alright for a guy who’s probably never considered himself a singer. As for the guitar work…nobody does it better. Oh, and by the way, I like Morrissey, too.

I think he does alright for a guy who’s probably never considered himself a singer. As for the guitar work…nobody does it better. Oh, and by the way, I like Morrissey, too.
It’s a confusing issue for some that you can like both 🤪

Marr's singing is actually very good, he's not Morrisssey, of course not, but if he wasn't Marr and people were not comparing them no one would say he's a bad singer, he's very competent and his guitar playing is, needless to say, absolutely sublime.

A singer should sing and a guitarist should play his guitar, his voice ruins everything

To keep it short, the musical bedding over which Morrissey sings these songs is far less troubling to me than the sound of Marr's voice reciting Morrissey's lyrics.

í...appreciate...that others around here disagree, but the musicians performing with Moz render the Smiths songs perfectly well. Not, well, perfect ~ as here ~ and they do some to a better or worse degree. But none of the band are, and would never claim to be, anywhere near Marr's level. í have been blown away by some versions, especially in person, less so by others. But í cannot ever recall as being so...offended?...as here. Which is a queer sensation, given the musical sublimity in back, but the sheer dishwater dull blandness when his lips part is really almost laughably bad.

It would be offensive if some other indie chancer were putting a cover up on YouTube {sorry, Worldwide Live Stream}, but the fact that this dude was there at the inception {har har} of this song somehow renders it more offensive? If he understood the beautiful alchemy of his music with Morrissey's vocal melodies then he would have kept his mouth shut and not touch this stuff.
Johnny should know better ;)

Tags
johnny marr

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom