Marr plays Smiths - NME (November 4, 2021)

IThe petty tribalism on this site, where people feel the need to pit Morrissey and Marr against each other, champion one and slag off the other, and declare on the 'winner' is pretty hilarious - especially considering they've had nothing to do with each other for 35 years.

I like Morrissey's version - it's a big brutal heavy tremolo effect version that batters the ears live. I also like Marr's version, which is a more subtle, groovy version, with some more intricate guitar parts. Both are cool, and neither one existing harms the other. The more versions the merrier.

Christ's sake - these guys are 58 and 62 years old. Neither one will be alive and performing for that many more years. Let's enjoy them both whilst we can.
I agree 100%,I love Moz and there is also room for Johnny !If i like SMITHS then i like the soul and heart of the group=MOZ AND JOHNNY.;)

I don't think its about being upset he's playing them, but rather upset he's "singing" them. Just as people want Morrissey to sing them,, but hate his band playing them...

I can't stand Johnny's singing. I don't have a problem with him, and not trying to pick sides. I went to a show of his and unfortunately it might be the worst concert id ever been to. Music was great but as soon as he started signing.... my brain felt like exploding during Smiths songs. I enjoyed the music, but wanted and tried desperately to block out the singing. I do the same when watch his videos.Whats worse here is its like he's not conveying the emotion of the songs, which Morrissey does. Johnny should just do instrumental versions. That would get me to go see him again.

For those that like keeping score or pitting them against each other, Maybe this is his way of destroying the song lyrics just as some feel Morrissey's band have destroyed the music?

But I don't really mind how Morrissey's band have changed the music over the years. Its always a little interesting to hear whats different each tour. And IMO Morrissey's voice has only gotten better. As for Johnny's versions, while a better guitar player, its almost a bit boring that he plays them almost exactly as recorded. (No need to attack they sound great) Just saying he has the musical skills to do something different with the songs. But maybe he didn't want to be criticized for it. Now that he seems to be getting more criticism anyway maybe he would.

Fair enough points... yes, we'd all love Morrissey to be singing while Johnny's playing Smiths songs (at least I think most of us would). I can't imagine better on either side of that equation. But Morrissey and Johnny are going to do what they're going to do... and they aren't asking for our input or permission along the way. The Smiths songs belong equally to both of them... so the scenarios you described will continue on. So, then what? As fans, we can either make peace with that... or choose to ignore what we don't like and tune in to what we do.

That's my take anyway...

What saddens me a bit in these events is that every time JM is playing/asked to play Smiths’ tunes; he is never, I mean NEVER asked to perform his solo stuff.

I agre
What saddens me a bit in these events is that every time JM is playing/asked to play Smiths’ tunes; he is never, I mean NEVER asked to perform his solo stuff.

I agree and this is what I mean when I say it’s boring. I know why he does it but I appreciate that morrissey doesn’t do this kinda thing. I still listen to call the comet but with his new song I feel like it kinda went back to adrenaline baby

I can understand it because they want more people to watch it, but I wonder if he gets fed up sometimes.

Mhhm mm ... I think Mar shouldjust just play his 🎸. make.peace with morrisey . Each play and sing it's ow craft,.

He's so bad at "singing"(if we can call that singing)
like really really bad
why is he doing it?
It's so terrible it's like he had a mission to ruin the song with his voice.
Maybe I'm going deaf but I love the music and am OK with his vocals on his new Fever Dreams EP1.

£16 to stream a warm-up in a rented garage?
I feel like this thread is missing a rant about it being “all about the money, always has been”

Across
2. Rhymes with “bubble rampards“ (6,9)
I remember when £16 would get you a concert ticket. All this paying for live stream/VIP meet and greet/etc. is all shite. Look at Hooky doing the best online concert over lockdown for free from his garden. Proper.

Fair enough points... yes, we'd all love Morrissey to be singing while Johnny's playing Smiths songs (at least I think most of us would). I can't imagine better on either side of that equation. But Morrissey and Johnny are going to do what they're going to do... and they aren't asking for our input or permission along the way. The Smiths songs belong equally to both of them... so the scenarios you described will continue on. So, then what? As fans, we can either make peace with that... or choose to ignore what we don't like and tune in to what we do.

That's my take anyway...
It could always be worse. Imagine Bernard Butler singing Suede songs. Ooh I've come over all queasy matron!

It could always be worse. Imagine Bernard Butler singing Suede songs. Ooh I've come over all queasy matron!

HAHA... yeah, did he ever play Suede songs as a solo artist? I saw him in '98 I believe it was... I don't recall him playing any Suede.

HAHA... yeah, did he ever play Suede songs as a solo artist? I saw him in '98 I believe it was... I don't recall him playing any Suede.
I don't think he ever did, apart from utube clips showing people how to play some Suede songs on the guitar.

Maybe I'm going deaf but I love the music and am OK with his vocals on his new Fever Dreams EP1.

I actually just read an article about how otolaryngologists are now using Fever Dreams to test their patients hearing. If they can hear it, well, it’s not good news. And it’s really bad news, if the patient actually enjoys what they’re hearing. :(

I remember when £16 would get you a concert ticket. All this paying for live stream/VIP meet and greet/etc. is all shite. Look at Hooky doing the best online concert over lockdown for free from his garden. Proper.
Marr did that too, played songs on his Instagram and answered questions. This is something different, a big production that costs money to make and distribute.

Tags
johnny marr

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom