Mastering on the new TQID reissue finally revealed - Super Deluxe Edition

Saturday Deluxe / 19 August 2017 - Super Deluxe Edition

Mastering work on the new "The Queen Is Dead" was finally revealed to Super Deluxe Edition from Warner.

There were people wondering whether the set was in fact, remastered, since Johnny Marr suggested his remasters a few years ago, were fairly definitive.

Super Deluxe Edition got word from Warner that Bill Inglot mastered the new set.

Bill Inglot has done a number of mastering projects for The Smiths/Morrissey over the years.
Super Deluxe claims that Morrissey and Marr have approved the audio.

Last edited by a moderator:
But the facts are that Inglot has remastered and Morrissey/Marr have approved the audio.
This approval 'fact' is only confirmed by connecting the idea that by being definitely released that both Marr & Moz must be in agreement for it to be rolled out (which is a perfectly reasonable assumption). There is zero information online other than SDE to give clarity to that assertion though. Some discussion has taken place in these forums, but if you can point me to where Moz and Marr seeing eye to eye on this release exists anywhere else - I'd be grateful. I don't believe Warners would give that information to SDE - I think they are joining the dots.
I don't think there's going to ever be 'proper' information about this release or anything in the future. Instead of being open and celebrating a 31st year anniversary (!) everything has to be clouded in bullshit - the guy remastering it goes uncredited, isn't going to talk etc... Why exactly!? It's just unnecessary nonsense. I'd still maintain that a bit of Johnny's ego would be knocked with this master - agreement or not (just look at RSD - he made more effort to support The The than he did to promote The Smiths).
But hey, what do I know?
Regards,
FWD.

Last edited:
why is everything so secretive these days,they should be shouting from the rooftops that theres a new album on the way and
joe c is at the mixing desk with a tour to follow.
what do we get,a photo of an old radio from nineteen canteen.

I remember the original played quite well, would be more interested in a ukulele version

"And oh, the sickening greed"

#we:heartssuit:Rome/BaroneRAffaele

Benny-the-British-Butcher:greatbritain::knife:

I honestly don't see the point of *another* remaster. How many slightly different versions of the same song does anyone need? It's been done so many times now. Pointless. Now - if it was a completely different arrangement, or different lyrics, works in progress - that might be worthwhile,

Thanks for the info -so, Bill Ingot did the remastering on the 'Very Best of The Smiths' compilation, which Johnny Marr himself has slagged off previously in interviews: "It has the worst cover I've ever seen and has been re-mastered poorly." https://www.morrissey-solo.com/article.pl?sid=01/06/19/0617211

Bill is obviously one of Morrissey's go-to choice for his own solo releases, having done 'Vauxhaul and I', 'Bona Drag', 'Swords', 'Years of Refusal', 'The Best of Morrissey', etc.

The fact that I haven't seen a single mention of any of these most recent reissues (including the last couple of singles) from Johnny Marr via his twitter, facebook etc, leads me to suspect he has no involvement, and Morrissey is 100% in control of these. Presumably it's the reverse of when Johnny did his remastering project and Morrissey seemingly had nothing to do with it.

I honestly don't see the point of *another* remaster. How many slightly different versions of the same song does anyone need? It's been done so many times now. Pointless. Now - if it was a completely different arrangement, or different lyrics, works in progress - that might be worthwhile,

I think remastering became popular due to the 'loudness wars.' What lay listeners really noticed was they were louder and this was promoted as clearer and better. The loudness wars are now over due to a new audio stnadardization of loudness brought in for TV ads and adopted by the music industry...

the original TQID from 1986 sounds OK, the CD

Just need a new recordplayer, the sound that the needle touches the vinyl remembers me of the wonderfull music the 80's brought, and earlier.

I can from Johnny point of vieuw think, why again...was mine not good enough?

I think remastering became popular due to the 'loudness wars.' What lay listeners really noticed was they were louder and this was promoted as clearer and better. The loudness wars are now over due to a new audio stnadardization of loudness brought in for TV ads and adopted by the music industry...

I remember when Bowie's albums were all remastered in the 90s, that was long before the loudness wars (which were horrible)

the original TQID from 1986 sounds OK, the CD

Just need a new recordplayer, the sound that the needle touches the vinyl remembers me of the wonderfull music the 80's brought, and earlier.

I can from Johnny point of vieuw think, why again...was mine not good enough?

Why = money - not sure they'll make much though

One of the posts moved (it's now the first reply). Posts before the timestamp of the first post of an article thread can't be merged as that causes database issues and overall confusion. Unfortunately I didn't catch the posts in the I Know It's Over live thread before the article was created, otherwise it could have been merged.

This story was first posted by an anon in the I know It's Over live thread. I will quote them, but could a mod move the subsequent conversation to this more appropriate thread - cheers.
Regards,
FWD.

One of the posts moved (it's now the first reply). Posts before the timestamp of the first post of an article thread can't be merged as that causes database issues and overall confusion. Unfortunately I didn't catch the posts in the I Know It's Over live thread before the article was created, otherwise it could have been merged.
Thanks David,
I'd get a nosebleed managing a database - appreciated.
FWD.

Should be collectable to all those who collected the extra photographs/tacky badges but those who collect extra tracks might be feeling disappointed with this re-issued, re-mastered, re-packaged, re-re-issued, re-re-mastered, re-re-packaged, re-re-re-issued, re-re-re-mastered, re-re-re-packaged, special anniversary re-re-re-release doh:

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

Not really getting why another remaster was needed just a few years after Johnny remastered the entire catalog.

Should be collectable to all those who collected the extra photographs/tacky badges but those who collect extra tracks might be feeling disappointed with this re-issued, re-mastered, re-packaged, re-re-issued, re-re-mastered, re-re-packaged, re-re-re-issued, re-re-re-mastered, re-re-re-packaged, special anniversary re-re-re-release doh:

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

Get some originality

Not really getting why another remaster was needed just a few years after Johnny remastered the entire catalog.

Advisory, but without apology: This is a slightly nerdy response.

There have do date been three different CD releases of Smiths material marketed as "remastered". By Bill Inglot for The Very Best of the Smiths, by Frank Arkwright and Johnny Marr for The Sound of the Smiths and again by Arkwright and Marr for Complete. But all of these seem to be based on the same transfers to digital, which were presumably done in 2001 or earlier. All three remasters have a similar and very good EQ treatment with more bass and a fuller overall sound than the Rough Trade/Virgin/Sire/Warners CDs that came before. The remasters are also progressively less brickwalled (i.e. there is a trend towards favouring dynamics over loudness). But, in my estimation, there is also some loss of clarity, particularly compared to the Rough Trade and Virgin CDs. Not massive, but noticeable if you compare the old and new versions fairly carefully. It's impossible to be sure why this is the case, but it may well be that the transfer on which the existing remasters are based was carried out using a suboptimal setup and/or using an analogue copy of the master rather than the master itself.

So, there would probably be a benefit to a remaster that was based on a brand new transfer. Maybe it could be argued that the existing remasters are good enough and no-one is likely to actually enjoy the music more. But I'd say that, if you're shelling out again for music you've already purchased, possibly several times, it's not unreasonable to expect the best possible quality.

OTOH, it's possible that no new transfer is involved and we are just getting more-or-less the same thing again, but with a 2017 date for marketing purposes.

Anyway, typing that out filled a little time while I'm waiting for the live Never Had No-one to appear on Spotify.

Last edited:
Tags
tqid reissue

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom