Meat is Murder revisited

The idea of including Stretch Out and Wait ahead of That Joke isn't Funny Anymore amused me...ironically enough.

Meat Is Murder is one of the most important songs ever written.
"And the turkey you festively slice / Is murder"
This bogus article must have been sponsored by the monsters at butterball.

Meat Is Murder is one of the most important songs ever written.
"And the turkey you festively slice / Is murder"
This bogus article must have been sponsored by the monsters at butterball.

Do you type with your beak or your claws?

bizarre notion...it's one of their most haunting melodies and chord progressions.

And I'm sorry you don't just bury The Headmaster Ritual on side 2.

It's their best ever opening to an LP. Followed closely by A Rush and a Push.

I'll keep How Soon Is Now where it belongs - as an extra track on the 12" of William

I listened to the revised version of Meat is Murder a few times. A lot of it I liked, especially the way that Stretch Out and Wait was given a chance to shine following HSIN. I couldn't help but feeling like a few tracks were getting lost in the shuffle, however, particularly Nowhere Fast and Headmaster Ritual. For my liking, I also thought this sequencing was a little too back-and-forth. If I was going to change up the order of Meat is Murder under these guidelines, I'd do something like this:

Side 1:
How Soon is Now?
Stretch Out and Wait
Rusholme Ruffians
The Headmaster Ritual
I Want the One I Can't Have

Side 2:
Barbarism Begins at Home
That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore
What She Said
Nowhere Fast
Well I Wonder

No disrespect to Shakespeare's Sister, but that song being included over Joke is a tragedy, especially with What She Said being so close by in the track listing. Shakespeare's Sister is a good song, but not worthy of being on what I consider to be the best Smiths album, with or without the title track

Back
Top Bottom