MEN: "The Smiths-inspired face cover to help plug Salford Lads Club's £60,000 shortfall" (November 28, 2020)

0_261120MasksJPG.jpg

"For the last 15 years it has made 30 percent of its income from the sale of T-shirts to visitors to the building in Ordsall and online.

Many are inspired by The Smiths who posed for an iconic photograph outside the 1904 red-brick club for the inner-sleeve of their The Queen Is Dead album.

Now it has come up with a novel auction in a bid to raise funds.
Sample T-shirts in different colourings or trial prints have been made into 30 masks - modelled on a bust of Morrissey."

From their site itself:

slc-masks-30-numbered-low-res.jpg

Regards,
FWD.

Oh no, he’s not gonna like this.

Edit: ok, at first I thought they were selling the model/statue too!doh:

Last edited:
Oh no, he’s not gonna like this.
You would have thought though, that the ex-members of The Smiths might offer to support SLC in their hour of need, wouldn't you?
£60k to them is chicken feed, especially when split 4 ways (because they were all equal members, don't you know), i.e. £15k each. Pittance.

Last edited by a moderator:
You would have thought though, that the members of The Smiths might offer to support SLC in their hour of need, wouldn't you?
£60k to them is chicken feed, especially when split 4 ways (because they were all equal members, don't you know), i.e. £15k each. Pittance.

If they could just put grudges aside for one moment. They could get together and do a new photo of them standing together in front of the club. And sell that photo.

I’m full of ideas this morning. :lbf:

But given Morrissey's 'testicles' quote, I'm guessing that sentiment would extend also to a photo shoot. Not going to happen.
That tacit agreement to re-form came after that statement I think?

The enmity between them seems no stronger than the ill feeling that divided Brown & Squire, Lennon & McCartney (who’d agreed to reform The Beatles c.1980), Waters & Gilmore, Lydon & Matlock.

The anticipated Thatcher-style level of unemployment about to hit the UK would provide the ideal context. And, just as it was with The Pink Floyd pair before their reunion, both are only currently viable as live acts.

I say it’s on the cards.

That tacit agreement to re-form came after that statement I think?

The enmity between them seems no stronger than the ill feeling that divided Brown & Squire, Lennon & McCartney (who’d agreed to reform The Beatles c.1980), Waters & Gilmore, Lydon & Matlock.

The anticipated Thatcher-style level of unemployment about to hit the UK would provide the ideal context. And, just as it was with The Pink Floyd pair before their reunion, both are only currently viable as live acts.

I say it’s on the cards.
The quote is dated 2006.

You would have thought though, that the ex-members of The Smiths might offer to support SLC in their hour of need, wouldn't you?
Moz has provided funds to the club in the past may well do again, if my next horse comes in to complete a successful days gambling I may also be able to help yeee haaaa 😂

But given Morrissey's 'testicles' quote, I'm guessing that sentiment would extend also to a photo shoot. Not going to happen.
To be fair, the meetimg between him and Marr where they discussed a possible reunion and that left Marr rather hopeful happened after the testicle quote, in 2008.

Because, you see, maybe it was a rehearsed answer after. 😉

I'd recommend their online store. I recently added the Moz vase to my collection.

MozVase_copy_1200x1844.jpg

To be fair, the meetimg between him and Marr where they discussed a possible reunion and that left Marr rather hopeful happened after the testicle quote, in 2008.

Because, you see, maybe it was a rehearsed answer after. 😉

I know nothing about said 'testicle' quote.

Can I ask you to please help me understand?

I know nothing about said 'testicle' quote.

Can I ask you to please help me understand?
Mozmar was referring to this quote we were talking about earlier today in the "Strange/Unexpected references" thread.

Found this also: Morrissey told "Uncut" magazine in 2006 that "I would rather eat my own testicles than reform the Smiths, and that's saying something for a vegetarian." :lbf:
The full quote taken from Paul Morley's May 2006 Uncut piece "The Last Temptation Of Morrissey" reads:

"Is it flattering? This natural kind of nostalgia for a splendid past that you always demonstrated for your pet loves?

No and no. It's a question that is applied to almost all important groups in a similar situation, but - and this is not a rehearsed answer - I would rather eat my own testicles than reform The Smiths. And that's saying something for a vegetarian."

Mozmar was referring to this quote we were talking about earlier today in the "Strange/Unexpected references" thread.

The full quote taken from Paul Morley's May 2006 Uncut piece "The Last Temptation Of Morrissey" reads:

"Is it flattering? This natural kind of nostalgia for a splendid past that you always demonstrated for your pet loves?

No and no. It's a question that is applied to almost all important groups in a similar situation, but - and this is not a rehearsed answer - I would rather eat my own testicles than reform The Smiths. And that's saying something for a vegetarian."

Thanks. x

The thing is, that the SLC , are always on the 4kin tap....
They tap more than a blind mans stick.....
with what’s going on in the world it’s hard to see this amount of money just being handed to them..
But, wait... now us northerners are “mad for it”.
Conservatism..... then the money shouldn’t really be a problem.... should it ?
Boris and Dave shall save the club😜😜

The thing is, that the SLC , are always on the 4kin tap....
They tap more than a blind mans stick.....
with what’s going on in the world it’s hard to see this amount of money just being handed to them..
But, wait... now us northerners are “mad for it”.
Conservatism..... then the money shouldn’t really be a problem.... should it ?
Boris and Dave shall save the club😜😜
Of course they're always on 'the tap', they're a charity you dimwit.

Salford Lads' And Girls' Club is charity registered in England and Wales. Charity Commission number: 521315

Of course they're always on 'the tap', they're a charity you dimwit.

Salford Lads' And Girls' Club is charity registered in England and Wales. Charity Commission number: 521315
Well I’ve heard it’s to be bulldozed, to make way for the new Tory HQ northwest Branch....
Don’t blame me , I didn’t vote for the 4kers

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom