Michael Stipe Mentions Morrissey in acast.com interview

Michael Stipe didn't come out of the closet until 2008. I'd say that left a little room for ambiguity and speculation. Morrissey likely won't come out of the closet until he's dead and other people spill the beans.
I mean, it's none of our business, and changes nothing- but still.

M 'came out of the closet' about his sexuality long ago.....

he is.... HUMASEXUAL.

case closed.:cool:

I definitely remember reading interviews with MS in the early 90s where he talked about his sexuality. In fairly explicit terms. Morrissey has never really hidden the fact that he is queer, he's just avoided using adjectives except a special made-up one. But that's not being in the closet.

Morrissey has never really hidden the fact that he is queer, he's just avoided using adjectives except a special made-up one. But that's not being in the closet.

everything made up is special to the one making it up... reality is special to each of us...doesn't make it any less real, well... we all hope. ;)

Buck on marr

“I was in England in 1984 and got asked about us being influenced by The Smiths a lot, even though we’d had records out before them. But then I went out and bought the records and went, Holy shit this is really great! Then I listened to Johnny’s playing and watched him and thought, Yeah, I can believe we’ve been listening to the same records. I saw them live in Brixton in 19985. We were doing our third record, Fables…and Meat Is Murder had just come out that week. It was a great show. I got into a fight afterwards on the subway because I was wearing a blue scarf ad apparently some soccer team wore blue and this guy thought I flying some flag for them. I’m like, f*** you people, I’m American. I don’t even know what soccer is. Anyway, then I saw them at Universal Amphitheatre (August 6, 1986), and that was a great show. I think it was on their last tour, they had the extra guitar player. It was what you want from your great band: they came out and it was a show of purpose. They sounded great and they looked beautiful, and it was exciting. Also, we were contemporaries. Johnny Marr said something to me recently along the lines of, “We were The Beatles and the Stones for that generation.” Not that I would necessarily go that far, but it felt like we had a relationship with those guys. Every time they had a record out, I’d buy it, and wherever we were I’d think about where they were. Talking to Johnny about it later on he said he would to the same thing. We probably meant the same thing to our fans. It was like writing letters to people you don’t know, but I kinda got the feeling that we knew who they were and I got the feeling they knew who we were. Getting to know Johnny later on, we toured with Modest Mouse and he actually played with R.E.M. a bunch on the tour. I remember as we were rehearsing backstage I said: Johnny, it helps to play thythm guitar ‘cos you can play whatever the hell you want, and he started laughing. I said, What’s funny? He said, “You play rhythm guitar like I do, but it’s not rhythm guitar.” I’m like Yeah, I know what you mean. We complemented each other really well, and in the future, if an opportunity ever arose…”

I reckon remember when Michael Stipe, Jake, and Damon were all roomies sharing a house in Switzerland.

I reckon Morrissey didn't kiss Michael Stipe because Morrissey isn't gay..get it? I reckon I'm sure they haven't spoke or seen each other since 1991.

Why do humasexuals flirt with homosexuals?

Why not? If they are nice, charming and intelligent and funny?
It's only flirting you know.
They do flirt with heterosexuals too.
I don't like the labeling.
I don't like the words, humasexual is also a label.
So now you can label me humasexual.
I don't care.

I don't like humasexual because it's BS. There's no definition that warrants its existence. Either Morrissey was taking the piss and now laughing at us, or he coined the word to make himself feel special and different...

why does anyone flirt ? that's your answer.

Because you like someone?
I know there is an erotic element, thank god, but I can like and love someone without that too.
I mean it can be a disappointment when it doesn't come to that, for me or the other person but if there is a mutual attraction it doesn't matter to me.

don't think he needs to go out of his way to feel special and different.
I hope we all feel special and different. He's already given a definition of what humasexuality is to/for him. I hope more people who feel special and different start to use it or invent new words if they feel they must to identify and express themselves with. Like all words that are made-up, just because it's not in Merriam-Webster doesn't make it any less real.

Last edited:
I don't like humasexual because it's BS. There's no definition that warrants its existence. Either Morrissey was taking the piss and now laughing at us, or he coined the word to make himself feel special and different...

I don't like the ideological meaning of it. It's another labeling word.
Definitions can't warrant any existence. Definitions are abstractions, useful in a completely different area.
That of logic and science.
I know this is semantics but all these labeling words are just giving people sometimes a false feeling of certainty.
They want to feel safe and have everything layed out to them and to categorize and to label puts everything for them on it's place and making life and decisions so much easier.
I don't think so.

I don't like the ideological meaning of it. It's another labeling word.
Definitions can't warrant any existence. Definitions are abstractions, useful in a completely different area.
That of logic and science.
I know this is semantics but all these labeling words are just giving people sometimes a false feeling of certainty.
They want to feel safe and have everything layed out to them and to categorize and to label puts everything for them on it's place and making life and decisions so much easier.
I don't think so.

I agree, but humans seem the need to. I think for him it's more a matter of empowering oneself by labeling oneself before someone(media/public) label you for you. There can be freedom in invention even if it is temporary or as you say give ' a false feeling of certainty'. So much of what we do comes from being in fear.

Last edited:
Because you like someone?
I know there is an erotic element, thank god, but I can like and love someone without that too.
I mean it can be a disappointment when it doesn't come to that, for me or the other person but if there is a mutual attraction it doesn't matter to me.

Sometimes I flirt with my enemies, it really throws them off. ;)

Ha, Ketamine Sun, of course you can.
Maybe I should do it too.
But it makes it too complicated for me.
And I don't want somebody who I really like get confused by me for flirting with my enemies.
I don't know if I really have enemies.

I don't like when people flirt with me. It makes me feel uneasy. Like last night. I went out with my friends to have some pre-christmas cheer at the pub, only to be all night pursued by what appeared to be a transsexual. I left home early in complete embarrassment.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom