Mike Joyce's 'plea' for Smiths reunion

UPDATE 9:30 AM PT:

Mike Joyce reply to article posted by Uncleskinny:

Mike has posted this on Facebook...

"The article that was in The Sun's Bizarre column today is now a header on MSN too. So, let's straighten a few things out. I was called by a journalist from The Independent to talk about a new music college opening in Manchester called, BIMM. During the interview I was (inevitably, now it seems) asked about The Smiths reforming. I said that if I was asked, I would probably say yes. That's it...The journalist who I spoke to has contacted The Sun and made a story out of it. There is no,"plea" from me as The Sun have stated or as MSN have suggested me, "urging Morrissey to consider reuniting the band in a bid to please fans." Nor will there ever be."

'Bring back The Smiths'
- article in the Sun

Column in the Sun claiming Mike Joyce wants to reunite The Smiths. Hardly revolutionary news, but he seems to have been thinking about the setlist!

Last edited by a moderator:
Fans and journalists are always so red hot for these huge bands to reunite, but when they finally do acquiesce the honeymoon is short-lived. I checked out Suede's forum the other day hoping to find tour announcements and instead found a bunch of 'fans' ripping their new song to shreds. That song sounds exactly like Suede to me - what else were they expecting? - but of course it isn't good enough. Neither Morrissey nor Marr need the headache. Of course Mike Joyce could use some money, what else is new?

We all know Mike would never be invited to take part in a reunion (Johnny feels just as strongly towards him as Morrissey it seems) but I'd love to see the other 3 Smiths perform together again.

I last saw Morrissey play live at the Troxy a few years ago and found myself going to the bar during the Smiths numbers - he might claim that the songs are more his than anyone else's but when he plays them on his own it just feels tacky to me due to the rent-a-band backing.

Ultimately, a reunion would require Morrissey to show some compassion towards Andy and a lesser extent Johnny - but it appears old Moz only has compassion for animals these days, even Johnny finds himself currently ex-communicated...

I always remember Spike Milligan saying of Tony Hancock: "He went around closing doors on everybody and eventually closed the door on himself"

Fans and journalists are always so red hot for these huge bands to reunite, but when they finally do acquiesce the honeymoon is short-lived. I checked out Suede's forum the other day hoping to find tour announcements and instead found a bunch of 'fans' ripping their new song to shreds. That song sounds exactly like Suede to me - what else were they expecting? - but of course it isn't good enough. Neither Morrissey nor Marr need the headache. Of course Mike Joyce could use some money, what else is new?

Exactly. If you think a Smiths ruin would silence the haters it won't. Haters gonna hate.

"The article that was in The Sun's Bizarre column today is now a header on MSN too. So, let's straighten a few things out. I was called by a journalist from The Independent to talk about a new music college opening in Manchester called, BIMM. During the interview I was (inevitably, now it seems) asked about The Smiths reforming. I said that if I was asked, I would probably say yes. That's it...The journalist who I spoke to has contacted The Sun and made a story out of it. There is no,"plea" from me as The Sun have stated or as MSN have suggested me, "urging Morrissey to consider reuniting the band in a bid to please fans." Nor will there ever be."

P.

P.

Never believed it anyway. Thanks for all the happy times Mike take care.

Pony-the-Tony (Watcha)

We all know Mike would never be invited to take part in a reunion (Johnny feels just as strongly towards him as Morrissey it seems) but I'd love to see the other 3 Smiths perform together again.

I last saw Morrissey play live at the Troxy a few years ago and found myself going to the bar during the Smiths numbers - he might claim that the songs are more his than anyone else's but when he plays them on his own it just feels tacky to me due to the rent-a-band backing.

Ultimately, a reunion would require Morrissey to show some compassion towards Andy and a lesser extent Johnny - but it appears old Moz only has compassion for animals these days, even Johnny finds himself currently ex-communicated...

I always remember Spike Milligan saying of Tony Hancock: "He went around closing doors on everybody and eventually closed the door on himself"

That quote was a disgusting, bitter remark made about Tony Hancock's suicide, and bears no resemblance to this situation whatsoever

Who says this? Other than anonymous trolls on the internet?

I've seen him three times on this current tour with different people each time and they all were blown away by the show. One of them was a causal Smiths fan who had never listened to any of his solo stuff. She was very impressed. All of the reviews of his shows in the commercial, mainstream press (which hasn't always been favorably to the Moz) that I've read have been positive.

I'm not a sycophantic person who thinks Morrissey can do no wrong. I think the Smiths were probably better than his solo career, and I think that while some of his solo material has been truly amazing (Viva Hate, Bona Brag, Vauxhall and I) some of it has not been. None of it has been truly terrible, it just pales in comparison to his best work which is in a league of its own. I also don't agree with everything he says. While I admire his stance on the Falklands, the Royals, and animal rights I deeply disturbed and disgusted by his comments on the UKIP or immigration in general.

That being said I really can't figure out you're talking about. But then I don't really get any of the obsessive haters, many of which seem to just be anonymous trolls. They seem to be completely divorced from reality and quite frankly almost pathological.

I saw Morrissey twice on this tour. I attended with three people who were only slightly familiar with his music, and each person thought that he was excellent. It does seem that there are a lot of trolls on this site.

Is it any wonder Morrissey detests this site ... with stories like this

Joyce and Rourke need to accept it's not going to happen. They had their 15 minutes and now they must carry on spinning those DJ tracks in between playing debutante balls and those wedding parties where no one worth while can be afforded.

The closest they are going to get to recreating The Smiths is if they join a tribute band. Might be one out there who'd have them and hey they can earn 20 or 30 a gig or play for a six pack. But wait, if the lead singer is getting a bottle of wine ... well after downing their well earned six pack for oh years they might decide hey we didn't know and hey deserve wine too and well can you say deja vu ... better stick with slithering up to play those 3rd tier reunions periodically

IF a Smiths reunion were to ever take place, it better happen now. Moz is an exit away from merging onto highway MID FIFTIES! He blindly holds school yard grudges, but he loves money. His extravagant lifestyle will bankrupt his ass in 20yrs....which leads to WTF is he gonna do? Tour at 70??? Promoters are currently offering blind amounts of ca$$$h his and Marrs way for even an only Moz/Marr reunion....Im afraid those offers might be peeking in the next 2-3yrs....I hope he sees the light and catches one of them offers....This whole "nostalgia" bands reuniting craze will end.....He needs that GIANT $mith$ payout to come around within the next 5yrs if he's gonna want a comfy european retirement...it isn't cheap being a sugadaddy! just sayin'....

The Smiths should never reunite. Morrissey is not the same lyricist he was with The Smiths.

Let's play a mental game, think back on the past 3 albums, now replace Morrissey's vocals with someone else you like; now imagine that is the other person's album, not Mozzer's. Would you still love them as much as you currently tell yourself you do? Or is the only reason you love them so, is you know how far he could fall sometimes--Kill Uncle, Southpaw, Maladjusted--and he pulled himself up to a safe place, not a great place, or even a good place, but safe?

Morrissey writes pretty good generic adult contemporary music now, and that is the sad truth. If he wasn't Moz, and you didn't have your fan history/connection; you wouldn't even bother listening to his newer stuff.

Does Black Cloud, Alma Matters, First Of The Gang, and Action really belong in a set next to Please, There Is A Light, Everyday, and I Know It's Over?

Let Moz keep churning out the blandness, giving his "true" fans little flakes of wit per new album to keep them nourished in their stupidity.

I personally think he should record the new songs, release them for free, release his book, and fade off into the sunset with dignity instead of diminishing returns.

How sad, Mike Joyce doing an interview with The Scum (prop. Rupert Murdoch). Morrissey has a solo career, Johnny has just released a solo album and is touring, Joyce has an internet radio show……

OK, now re-read the article again and tell us what part of ''Mike didn't speak to the S*n'' part of it you didn't understand. Honestly, some people.........

Jukebox Jury

i am sure hearing mike joyce talk about the smiths in any way is what made morrissey sick and put him in the hospital

Mike Joyce was awarded £1million, but he didn't receive it. That's the fact

Mike Joyce isn't rich, or a bad person, or the devil, or 'Mike Gross'.

You people need to grow up, really.

Mike Joyce was awarded £1million, but he didn't receive it. That's the fact

Mike Joyce isn't rich, or a bad person, or the devil, or 'Mike Gross'.

You people need to grow up, really.

I really want to know the truth on this. I've heard it both ways. I always thought the main reason Moz moved to LA was to get out of having to pay up.

I'm not 100% convinced this is the main reason. Personally I think the big issue is Morrissey's planet-sized ego. He's spent years since the Smiths as an artist in his own right, so reforming the Smiths would seem to him - I think - like an admission of defeat: that he really COULDN'T survive on his own without Johnny Marr after all.

good point

I really want to know the truth on this. I've heard it both ways. I always thought the main reason Moz moved to LA was to get out of having to pay up.

It's been a few years since I've read anything about it, but I believe Morrissey refused to pay, and so any amount that was awarded to Joyce would be taken from The Smiths royalties that originally belonged to Morrissey? Which, by now I'm sure would have reached that amount if not more. Something along those lines. However, I could be remembering wrong.

It's been a few years since I've read anything about it, but I believe Morrissey refused to pay, and so any amount that was awarded to Joyce would be taken from The Smiths royalties that originally belonged to Morrissey? Which, by now I'm sure would have reached that amount if not more. Something along those lines. However, I could be remembering wrong.

How much money does the Smiths back catalgoue really earn these days? Even if Joyce is taking all of Morrissey's performance earnings (which is my understanding of the situation), I suspect it could take a hell of a long time for that to add up to £1 million. Did the remastered stuff a couple of years ago really sell THAT many millions of copies? If Joyce was earning 20p on each CD sold they'd have to sell 5 million CDs for him to get all his money, and his cut is probably a lot less than that. I doubt they've sold more than a few thousand - and potentially lucrative deals like the John Lewis 'Please Please Pleas' advert won't have netted Joyce anything, as being a cover version only Morrissey and Joyce will have received composers royalties. So I suspect that Mike has a reasonable amount of Moz's money, but not the full sum he is owed, and has probably shelled out thousands of pounds on lawyers fees trying to claw back what he has.

But, you know what - has anyone ever considered the possibility that Mike Joyce would agree in principle to reforming the Smiths for reasons OTHER than money? ie that they were a kick-ass band, that they never got to do a farewell show/tour at the time, and he knows it would make thousands of fans very happy? That he might actually enjoy the experience of playing with the Smiths again? Is it really so crazy to think that?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom