Morrissey A-Z: "Angel, Angel, Down We Go Together"

12459392_1300x1733.jpg

(aka: 'Cult of the Damned' - 1967)

Re: Jennifer Jones.

"In her prime, Jennifer Jones’ affinity for high-strung, depressed women led to an Academy Award and an additional four nominations in the Forties and Fifties. Filmgoers did not have an inkling that she brought much of herself to these roles until November 9, 1967, when the actress--after checking into a motel and taking an overdose of pills--was found unconscious at the foot of a 400-foot cliff on Malibu Beach.

Jones survived her suicide attempt, going on to live another 32 years. But it wasn’t her first or last brush with tragedy..."

(Continued here).

Possibly in a notebook somewhere.
FWD.

Good song but I rarely play it alone just because of its length. It often feels like a prelude to last night which amusingly is a song I’m not to keen on. Makes me feel like the two songs might be related. I’ve also wondered if the decemberists we both go down together is influenced by the song

What do folks think of the 1991 rock live arrangement?

I like it, especially the (here mislabelled) Dallas one.

Someone colourised his teenage photo. Or my eyesight is even worse.

View attachment 67686
FWD posted the blue-eyed version in strange/unexpected before, but I actually like this one better, because his eyes do often look dark/brown in photographs.

Always been one of my favorites. Where/when did Moz say it was about Johnny? I never heard that before.

Always been one of my favorites. Where/when did Moz say it was about Johnny? I never heard that before.
The quote is cited in a 2002 Mojo article about Viva Hate. I've never been able to find the original interview it was taken from, so I'm not sure when he is supposed to have said it. I've seen 1992 floating around as a possible year, but no precise source.

Screenshot_20210119-161129_Drive.jpg

For anyone interested, regarding said quote:
It was collated & re-quoted in the excellent Mojo: The Single Life.
On the making of Viva Hate back in '03.

Essential reading.
FWD.

It's one of them comfortin' Moz songs.
That line about "they do not understand the urgency of life",
is pretty deep because ya gotta see everything as life and then
ya wouldn't treat folks like how they were treatin' Angel.
Come to think of it, The Savages did a answer line in Adore Life,
where Jehnny sang "I understand the urgency of life."

A song that satisfies the belief (of the unsophisticated) that Moz is ever dark and morose. But me likey!

Could it (musically) have been done by anyone else besides Street?

MrShoes
Yes, Kate Bush. Cloudbusting.
Fantastic song.

Last edited:
That was a time when he criticized almost any contemporary artist, including The Cure (which he now regrets).
So not sure how serious he was. Still, I can imagine Kate Bush's music being too polished and clean for him.
It was also before he became famous or even joined The Smiths. 1980 in a private letter.

Oh, the period when he was deep into the Dolls, The Ramones, Iggy and those others.
I was indeed having those artists in the back of my mind when writing that, thinking it was a big leap from punk to Kate Bush.
He was also still into Sandie Shaw at the same time (and he was very mean about The Polecats...).

I can absolutely see why he wouldn't have liked Kate then. I was merely wondering if he ever changed his mind and I can't recall him ever speaking about her...

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom