Morrissey A-Z: "Children in Pieces"

From this project I have realized that few Morrissey's songs work on their own. So many of them sound in some way slight or unfinished. It's only when you hear an album's worth of them, they begin to build a fuller picture, to complete each other's flaws.

Gustavo is actually from Austin, I think.
Your profound dislike for the guy is quite remarkable. 😅
He is? I thought Jesse was the only Texan. But anyway, most Moz fans should dislike Gustavo. He is abhorrent. There are no two ways about it. A great liability to the Moz band and Morrissey’s music. He can play various instruments very well, but can’t write a decent song to save his life.

He is? I thought Jesse was the only Texan. But anyway, most Moz fans should dislike Gustavo. He is abhorrent. There are no two ways about it. A great liability to the Moz band and Morrissey’s music. He can play various instruments very well, but can’t write a decent song to save his life.
One Of Our Own...?

I mean, in the end it's still Morrissey who chooses the music, so he's at least partly 'to blame'.

One Of Our Own...?

I mean, in the end it's still Morrissey who chooses the music, so he's at least partly 'to blame'.
You’re right. That’s a great song. It’s the exception to the rule. And yeah, Moz is of course very much to blame. I think Mando’s contributions have been quite good, so far. Wouldn’t mind him doing more writing.

You’re right. That’s a great song. It’s the exception to the rule. And yeah, Moz is of course very much to blame. I think Mando’s contributions have been quite good, so far. Wouldn’t mind him doing more writing.
Very much agree. I don't have anything against Gustavo but Mando has definitely surpassed him.

From this project I have realized that few Morrissey's songs work on their own. So many of them sound in some way slight or unfinished. It's only when you hear an album's worth of them, they begin to build a fuller picture, to complete each other's flaws.
We’ve also been talking about a fair number of besides some of them unreleased because they literally aren’t finished yet

A rare interesting lyric from that period, juxtaposed with Tobias' special brand of identikit pub rock.
Exactly this. I find the topic and the lyric really promising but it just doesn't 'fit' with the music. Typical bashing, crashing Jesse backing, horrible guitar tone & it's just so loud that Moz is half-shouting over it. Wasted opportunity.

It could be a parent, or the bishop... anyone who could send the kid home or leave it alone.

Rare case of him swearing in a song.
Favourite Moz swear - "spineless bastards all"!

Typically chuggy meat-and-potatoes rock àla mid-to-late 00’s Jesse - but it works! It’s crunchy as f*** and with a lot punk and spunk to it. Mozzer’s lyrics and vocal melody aren’t half bad either.

Man, I’ve said it before, but remember when the Jesse Tobias chug rock was the worst we could expect from Moz? Somewhere in California, Gustavo Manzur must’ve said ‘hold my beer!’ We didn’t know how lucky we were.
& before Jesse, we were sick of Alain writing 20 identical songs at a time. Now that feels like a golden period :LOL:

That puts him miles ahead of Jesse straight away. Agree about the songwriting though, ouch.

That puts him miles ahead of Jesse straight away. Agree about the songwriting though, ouch.
Maybe he can join an orchestra or something? If you're gonna be in a rock band, you better know how to write a decent song.

& before Jesse, we were sick of Alain writing 20 identical songs at a time. Now that feels like a golden period :LOL:
I never felt that way back then. But what I wouldn't do for those 20 identical Alain songs now...

The esteemed Gustavo Santaolalla is an intresting part of this (besides the Catholicism theme continuing).
I'd love to know what he contributed to both My Dearest Love & this track.
We never did get the tango track he asked Morrissey to sing on either 🤔
Regards,
FWD.

Moz was kinda honored that Mr. Santaolalla asked to work with him.
Both them tunes that they did together have different feel to'em, from
the production choices Mr. Santaolalla made.

Morrissey and Gustavo can jointly never be forgiven for the bullshit they pulled with “Speedway” over the last few years.

Morrissey and Gustavo can jointly never be forgiven for the bullshit they pulled with “Speedway” over the last few years.
Absolutely correct.

Spent the Day in Bed, Love Is on its Way Out and Israel are all extremely good late period Morrissey songs in my opinion.

A song I never play on its own, although I like the music. The guitar solo towards the end is nice and I like the eerie backwards vocals and music box outro as well. No idea why there's camera shutter samples at the beginning though.

It's really the somewhat uncertain vocal melody that bothers me. Given that they'd already been working on the song during the Ringleader sessions you'd think he'd have had time to come up with something more substantial.
The subject matter is interesting but the lyric is lacking something, in my opinion. The only lines that really grip me are these:

But instead of sympathy I find
My sentimental heart hardens

A sidenote worth mentioning is that the song was engineered by one "Joe Chicarrelli", who I assume to be Joe Chiccarelli, who of course went on to produce Morrissey's last four albums.

View attachment 68599

People who don't like distorted guitars will surely disagree but I find the original instrumental demo quite enjoyable.

surely the camera shutter is the abusers taking photos of the children probably in a state of undress.

surely the camera shutter is the abusers taking photos of the children probably in a state of undress.
Well, yes, possibly. It's not the first thing I associate with child abuse in an educational or clerical setting though.
I'm not very familiar with the real abuse cases on which the lyrics are based...

I always saw the lyric as a continuation of The Headmaster Ritual, especially with the line You say you wanna go home (vs I wanna go home / I don't want to stay).

Last edited:
This is the first Morrissey/Tobias song that I'd describe as really good - previous ones in the Ringleader era were just quite good (at best). Who would have believed that they would go on to write songs together that were absolutely flipping brilliant!

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom