Morrissey A-Z: "Disappointed"

Our song for today is this, originally a B-side on the "Everyday Is Like Sunday" single.

What do we think of this one?

It's soothing to me now.
"I drank too much. I said too much. There's nowhere to go but down."

People tend to forget how revolutionary the poetry of this song was when it first came out, back in the 1980s.

This world, may lack style?
I know but each
bud must. Blossom
(and grow)

Young people of today yawn at everything that happend before they were born. They’ll never understand how interesting the past was, compared to today. It’s truly disappointing.

The live version that ends with someone yelling ‘Morrissey!’ is fantastic. The original studio version feels a bit tame and the production is a bit dry. But all in all, it’s a cracker of a song. The lyrics are terrific.

a cracker from M,drumming on this is great.

I think the Everyday is Like Sunday single is one of Morrissey's career highlights. The b-sides are all of an extremely high quality (even Happy Lovers at Last United wasn't bad either) and it's a shame that Vini Reilly was becoming difficult for Stephen Street to work with which led to his exit.

Some fine lyrics here and an interesting tune.

Also, a fun song during the live shows due to the interactive element at the end.

In the poll on the other board it ranked 48th from 264 solo songs.

Superb just a outstanding song,everytime I think I have a top ten songs like this remind me that I am wasting my time,another song I would love to hear live.

An amazing song, really. And so very, very Morrissey - I can't think of another lyricist in the history of pop who could have written this.

And I love the self-fulfilling prophecy of "I've drank too much and said too much and there's nowhere to go but...down".

One of his immortal classics. He never gets bored.
Cosmic intro , mind-blowing version
:blushing:

The everly brothers recorded a song called"This is the last song I'm ever going to sing "

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
The live version that ends with someone yelling ‘Morrissey!’ is fantastic. The original studio version feels a bit tame and the production is a bit dry. But all in all, it’s a cracker of a song. The lyrics are terrific.
The “Morrissey yelling” at the end, from a show in Utrecht (Pregnant 12’/CD) is rather splendid, I do agree. The 12” of Sunday is one of the greatest 4 track offerings of all time.

The “Morrissey yelling” at the end, from a show in Utrecht (Pregnant 12’/CD) is rather splendid, I do agree. The 12” of Sunday is one of the greatest 4 track offerings of all time.

This song is the tops!

Commentary on YouTube regarding this vid:

ninmat13 years ago
love the way he dances... even if he looks like he's a dying patient

I think it's very funny and a great song. How does it rank against the other songs called "Disappointed" made by PIL and Electronic?
"I have spent my whole life in ruins because of people who were nice" is one of his best lines.

This song is the tops!

ninmat13 years ago

I can not believe this video exists. That was the best thing I'd seen in forever. Thank you so much.

And Janice, I agree regarding the ELIS 12". Absolute work of art.

Always really liked this song but found it the weakest of the EILS B-sides, which just shows what an amazing collection of songs it contains.
The Morrissey Street song-writing partnership at its most glorious. Please let them write again together in the future!

This song is the tops!

ninmat13 years ago

Epic dancing! And that last stage invader, wow - how well did she time it?! (one day we really will be old / but the thing is, I love you now). Love that he spun her around.

Epic dancing! And that last stage invader, wow - how well did she time it?! (one day we really will be old / but the thing is, I love you now). Love that he spun her around.

Yes - she spun him right round and he held on for the ride. He almost took a dip off-stage as well. Fun, fun, fun.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom