Morrissey A-Z: "Disappointed"

Yes - she spun him right round and he held on for the ride. He almost took a dip off-stage as well. Fun, fun, fun.
I thought he was doing the spinning, he lifts her? :D

A fun song and a funny witty lyric. I don’t think I like it as much musically as many people here seem to but it’s an enjoyable song. The drumming is nice but other than the groove which maybe suffers from comparisons to how soon is now the instrumentation kinda comes up short for me. I don’t mean in some technical way but it just sounds like a fine collage of eighties guitar sounds. Has a nice arrangement though

A great song indeed. Just how great Viva Hate would have been, if Morrissey had for once picked the best 12 songs at his disposal for it. Hairdresser on Fire, Sister I'm a Poet, Disappointed and Will Never Marry could easily have replaced the final third of the album.

A great song indeed. Just how great Viva Hate would have been, if Morrissey had for once picked the best 12 songs at his disposal for it. Hairdresser on Fire, Sister I'm a Poet, Disappointed and Will Never Marry could easily have replaced the final third of the album.
To be fair to Morrissey, the Everyday is Like Sunday b-sides were all recorded too late to be included on the album.

I think it's very funny and a great song. How does it rank against the other songs called "Disappointed" made by PIL and Electronic?
"I have spent my whole life in ruins because of people who were nice" is one of his best lines.
Uh-oh! Dangerous question, Vegan will chip in soon with his arsenal of childish emojis. Don't know the PiL version, but love the Electronic one. It could easily be a Pet Shop Boys song, and a good one. One of the 4 -5 Electronic songs I ever listen to.

guess I was wrong, but with Street being a Bowie fan, I always imagined he may have been inspired
by this drum beat (below)... yes it’s different, especially much slower, but anyway...

Disappointed? amazing lyric, mood, groove, original. And even better live.

:cool:

guess I was wrong, but with Street being a Bowie fan, I always imagined he may have been inspired
by this drum beat (below)... yes it’s different, especially much slower, but anyway...

Disappointed? amazing lyric, mood, groove, original. And even better live.

:cool:

Thanks for including those vids. Paresi is funny guy - practice, practice, practice - stop!

A fun song and a funny witty lyric. I don’t think I like it as much musically as many people here seem to but it’s an enjoyable song. The drumming is nice but other than the groove which maybe suffers from comparisons to how soon is now the instrumentation kinda comes up short for me. I don’t mean in some technical way but it just sounds like a fine collage of eighties guitar sounds. Has a nice arrangement though
Yes, musically I've always heard a nod to HSIN? in this one... wondered if anyone else thought this? I pretty much adore all of the b-sides with Street. A fun and quirky song done well that you can't imagine anyone but Morrissey doing.

Don't talk to me, no
About people who are "nice"
'Cause I have spent my whole life
In ruins
Because of people who were "nice"

Just wonderful, classic Morrissey right there...

Yes, musically I've always heard a nod to HSIN? in this one... wondered if anyone else thought this? I pretty much adore all of the b-sides with Street. A fun and quirky song done well that you can't imagine anyone but Morrissey doing.

Don't talk to me, no
In ruins

I believe I’ve read that in a few places but couldn’t tell you where. I’m for sure not the first person to think so. There are a lot of good songs from that partnership even if they’re not my favs in his catalog. They had a quirky quality to them like lifeguard on duty etc

Don't talk to me, no
In ruins

Yes, I always thought it sounded quite similar.

I agree with those who've said it's typical Moz. Very original (the lyric), highly enjoyable and fiercely attractive.

Don't talk to me, no
In ruins

Yes, it's the use of the tremolo guitar pedal - it's on both songs. Nothing else is really that similar e.g. the chords or the melody.

Yes, it's the use of the tremolo guitar pedal - it's on both songs. Nothing else is really that similar e.g. the chords or the melody.

maybe the rhythm but yes it’s not trying to be that song or anything I don’t think

Don't talk to me, no
In ruins

Yes, I always thought this was a nod to HSIN, so perhaps he should play this one live instead of HSIN from now on.

I would have been truly disappointed if this had been his last song he'd ever sing.
But thankfully, he changed his mind.
Good night and thank you, dear Moz

Back in the day when the quality of his output was so high, something as good as this was a b-side.
To be fair, a lot of his best material has ended up on b-sides, even quite recently. His criteria for evaluating his own music seem to be different to the rest of us.

Yes, musically I've always heard a nod to HSIN? in this one... wondered if anyone else thought this?
The first time I heard this song I was disappointed (no pun intended), exactly because it just sounded like a lazy retread of 'How Soon is Now'. I've grown to appreciate it a lot, but that's almost entirely down to the lyrics/vocal performance. The drum beat is quite groovy, but the basic chords really aren't doing anything special at all here, and those tremolo guitar effects should probably have been left off. Unless invoking the ghost of The Smiths was a deliberate intention by Morrissey, for some reason?

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom