Morrissey A-Z: "Edges Are No Longer Parallel, The"

BookishBoy

Our track for today is this Morrissey/Whyte composition, from the expanded edition of Maladjusted, released in 2009.

What do we think of it?

I heard it for the first time on the japanese- only "Rare Tracks" compilation .
It ranks between 15th and 20th on my personal Morrissey song rankings which proves it is wonderful track .

one of my top ten and always has been,an absolute cracker,in my opinion of course.

This is one of those songs where he thought up a title and milks that for the first minute. Fair to middling song.

There is a beautiful imagery in the tite, and it is one of those signature melancholie tunes from Alain.

I love this song so much and play it regularly.
"My only mistake is I'm hoping". So many people can relate to this simple line. Hope is great but it can prevent people to move on in their life in desperate situations.

Last edited:
Gorgeous ballad with excellent lyrics...yet it's a bit too long and feels a bit repetitive and...noisy...towards the end. This is a song that, even though it's great, isn't as strong as it 'should' be. But at the end of the day, still a solid 8/10.

Even though the 'I'm hoping' but at the end goes on a bit, the main guts of the song is phenomenal. Even though I'm not entirely sure what the specifics of the lyrics are talking about, it has that dreamy 'Vauxhall ' vibe - lush music, and a soaring vocal melody. Personally, I think this is way better than any of the tracks on 'Maladjusted', which is something I can say for quite a few of the B Sides in this period.

I really think Morrissey was on a roll and getting back on form on these post 'Maladjusted' 97 sessions - it's one of the real losses of the era that all we ended up with were a few B sides, then years in the wilderness without a record deal. A full album produced by Danton Supple would have been the next logical step if he still had a record deal in '98, and it might well have been a cracker. Oh well - we'll never know, I guess.

It's a shame that this and Lost were recorded too late to appear on Maladjusted as they would have improved that album no end. I don't think it's an absolutely top tier composition, but it has a mature lyric and would have been a very fitting album closer. I remember when I bought Roy's Keen that I was surprised by how much better the b-sides were to the song (foolishly) chosen as the single.

In the poll on the Hoffman board it ranked 73rd from 264 solo songs.

A song about how all the great things youve done seem worthless when you’re depressed and nothing seems to be in place. Really good song. Not as much there lyrically but it suits the music beautifully and it has such a neat vocal melody. I don’t seem it out but love it when it comes on

It recreates the feeling of drifting so well that it's probably his most lushly depressing song.

It was one of those Manchester late afternoons where the sun is low and right into your eyes when I bought this from HMV and whacked it into the discman; for that counted as 'instant grat' in those days.

Roy's Keen, I'd already heard, Lost mesmerised me and Edges lost me.

It was the weakest one on "Rare Tracks" I think. The music is okay but it doesn't really do much.
So you also bought the Rare Tracks EP? I was going to say that I find it much more satisfying and consistent in quality than the Maladjusted LP.

It recreates the feeling of drifting so well that it's probably his most lushly depressing song.

yeah the way he punctuates and stretches the words adds to that feeling. For some reason this songs music and melody remind me of something off of ringleader

Always adored this song. It's magical.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom