Morrissey A-Z: "Forgive Someone"

It's definitely deliberate. I'd say most of the more questionable musical choices on recent albums are. It's just not always clear to the listener what the reasoning behind them is, but sometimes it strangely still works.
As in this case. The instrumentation is great, in my opinion. It's quite layered and varied and I love how it intensifies towards the end.

I don't know if Moz would ever notice them or wish to hang around stroky-beardy types - but his sensibility is like a raw, personal, version of the hauntology, psychogeography, acid jazz, folk horror crowd. They try to capture the old atmospheres that haunt our imagined futures and obsess about the margins, borderlines, and memoryholes.

Some of it is really creepy - and some of it is old theme tunes.

World Peace would have been just one notch behind Vauxhall if it’d had a better track listing

I am deeply, thoroughly and religiously in love with this song. Along with Blue Dreamers Eyes, it's his best song from the past 10-15 years. I love everything about it: the subtle drama, the excellent vocal melody, the empathetic lyrics (which I am not sure he himself lives by, but who cares) and the pictures they paint and the beautiful arrangement (lush, yet understated). This song never fails to warm my heart. Another song that illustrates why I love this man.
I have to agree, an absolutely brilliant song. And yes, it’s a legitimate contender for his best post Maladjusted track: it feels like the sound of Morrissey arriving exactly where he’d been aiming (but missing) for several years.

Brilliant song and I can see like everyone how it doesn’t fit on world peace. re listening makes me wish it was on ringleader or that I could at least pare it with brow of my beloved

I heard that this song was originally called ‘Forgive Solo’ but then he thought, why should I? And changed it to ‘Someone’.

;)

I have to agree, an absolutely brilliant song. And yes, it’s a legitimate contender for his best post Maladjusted track: it feels like the sound of Morrissey arriving exactly where he’d been aiming (but missing) for several years.
Exactly, I really loved and embraced the musical direction in these bonus tracks - especially this one, Julie in the Weeds, and One of Our Own. Then somehow LIHS came next... :confused:

Exactly, I really loved and embraced the musical direction in these bonus tracks - especially this one, Julie in the Weeds, and One of Our Own. Then somehow LIHS came next... :confused:
Haha, spot on. These songs were almost Vauxhall-esque. LIHS was for the most part a different beast altogether. A foul, wretched beast. I wish he would go back to this sound/atmosphere and/or the ‘YouTube tracks’ . He kind of did on Once I Saw...and Hurling.

Emphatically agree with everything here. The other tracks you’ve picked out are ace. And then, LIHS: an album which is entirely lacking in coherence.

Haha, spot on. These songs were almost Vauxhall-esque. LIHS was for the most part a different beast altogether.
I like Low In High School...
It has flaws, definitely - especially parts of side 2 (i.e. “In Your Lap”, “TGFTAWWK”). But much of the first side is really great: “I Wish You Lonely”, “Jacky”, “Home”, “Bed” and “Living” as well as “Israel” are very large highlights, with some being layered empathetic torch songs and other great little pop gems. I don’t think people really give it enough credit: the lyrics are certainly very patchy, but the songs above demonstrate many strengths of the Chiccarelli era in full bloom.

I like Low In High School...
It has flaws, definitely - especially parts of side 2 (i.e. “In Your Lap”, “TGFTAWWK”). But much of the first side is really great: “I Wish You Lonely”, “Jacky”, “Home”, “Bed” and “Living” as well as “Israel” are very large highlights, with some being layered empathetic torch songs and other great little pop gems. I don’t think people really give it enough credit: the lyrics are certainly very patchy, but the songs above demonstrate many strengths of the Chiccarelli era in full bloom.
"IWYL" is a good song, no doubt about it. I like it a lot. "Jacky" is good fun, but ultimately not much more than that (the video, however, is a masterpiece!). "Home" is almost a great song - easily the best song on LIHS. "Bed" I dislike in every capacity - I think the lyrics are stupid and the music is beyond annoying. "Living" is a difficult one. I love the vocal melody, the melody, the atmosphere and the arrangement, but the lyrics are bone-chillingly mean-spirited. "Israel" is lyrically awful and musically pretentious. Out of the rest, I like "MLIDAFY". The rest are among his worst ever songs.
But to each his own, and it's fun to discuss. :)

"IWYL" is a good song, no doubt about it. I like it a lot. "Jacky" is good fun, but ultimately not much more than that (the video, however, is a masterpiece!). "Home" is almost a great song - easily the best song on LIHS. "Bed" I dislike in every capacity - I think the lyrics are stupid and the music is beyond annoying. "Living" is a difficult one. I love the vocal melody, the melody, the atmosphere and the arrangement, but the lyrics are bone-chillingly mean-spirited. "Israel" is lyrically awful and musically pretentious. Out of the rest, I like "MLIDAFY". The rest are among his worst ever songs.
But to each his own, and it's fun to discuss. :)
Personally, I think that “Living” isn’t mean spirited at all: he’s not standing on a high pedestal saying “ha! You signed up and now look what happened!”. Instead - especially in the Vini-esque sections - he’s sympathising with the effects that losing a son or daughter to war can have on individuals. He’s attacking figures in higher positions for leading people into this trap: the chilling laugh at the end could be an officer, knowing that they’ll survive due to their class position.
As for “Israel”, I believe that it is empathetic and gets across its heartfelt ideas better than some of the other tracks on the album. I like the instrumentation: I think it’s slow, simmering build illustrates the poignancy of the lyrics. He can’t, obviously, see every detail in these unfortunate situations, but he does a good job.

Personally, I think that “Living” isn’t mean spirited at all: he’s not standing on a high pedestal saying “ha! You signed up and now look what happened!”. Instead - especially in the Vini-esque sections - he’s sympathising with the effects that losing a son or daughter to war can have on individuals. He’s attacking figures in higher positions for leading people into this trap: the chilling laugh at the end could be an officer, knowing that they’ll survive due to their class position.
As for “Israel”, I believe that it is empathetic and gets across its heartfelt ideas better than some of the other tracks on the album. I like the instrumentation: I think it’s slow, simmering build illustrates the poignancy of the lyrics. He can’t, obviously, see every detail in these unfortunate situations, but he does a good job.

Absolutely agree about I Bury The Living. I love that song. Will be fun to talk about in the A-Z...

Again, I think this is a bonus track that is superior to at least half of the songs on the main album. The first half is merely pleasant, breezy fun - the music is a bit 'plinky plonk cheap keyboard', but Morrissey's vocals are great. But it really takes a turn for the dramatic in the last section, which is amazing. 8 out of 10.

I don't know if Moz would ever notice them or wish to hang around stroky-beardy types - but his sensibility is like a raw, personal, version of the hauntology, psychogeography, acid jazz, folk horror crowd. They try to capture the old atmospheres that haunt our imagined futures and obsess about the margins, borderlines, and memoryholes.

Some of it is really creepy - and some of it is old theme tunes.

iv seen every episode of are you being served,classic.great cast,you had mrs slocombes pussy jokes,john inman as mr humphries camping it up and young mr grace who was hilarious.was also a big hit in america.

iv seen every episode of are you being served,classic.great cast,you had mrs slocombes pussy jokes,john inman as mr humphries camping it up and young mr grace who was hilarious.was also a big hit in america.

Seen a few of them & the film.

Mrs Slocombe is a style icon.

842de8ad1e6e6ac32afa60191844d954.jpg

Seen a few of them & the film.

Mrs Slocombe is a style icon.

View attachment 69375
The trouble with it is, apart from the 'pussy' gags and the catchphrases ("I'm free!") as a sitcom it hasn't aged very well. Controversially, I feel similarly about Dads' Army, which is much, much less funny than people remember.

The trouble with it is, apart from the 'pussy' gags and the catchphrases ("I'm free!") as a sitcom it hasn't aged very well. Controversially, I feel similarly about Dads' Army, which is much, much less funny than people remember.

I've not really studied the scripts. I love the sets & costumes. And the actors are fabulous. Sort of the same with Dad's Army. I'd love to do a show with Spivs in it.

If by "see this mess" he means Morrissey Central, he shouldn't hold his breath.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom