Morrissey A-Z: "Honey, You Know Where to Find Me"

BookishBoy

Our song for today is this Morrissey/Boorer composition, from the 2009 expanded release of Southpaw Grammar. Also subsequently released as a Record Store Day vinyl thing in 2020.

What do we think?

I like this one a lot. It does sound poorly recorded and unfinished but I like the song. I like the lyrics too.
"The future is around me
I see it, I seize it, I use it, I throw it away"

Good, upbeat song that would have made a fine b-side at the time. Thankfully it was rescued from obscurity years later.
Moz ‘kicking away from the mundane, la-la-la-la’ as usual. Lovely.

I can see why it didn't fit with what Southpaw Grammar eventually became, but it is superior to many of the songs on that album. It's certainly a lot more likeable, tuneful and lyrical.

It's enjoyable from time to time to hear Morrissey being lightweight and throwaway.

I also prefer a lot of the demos from this era to the finished recordings.

In the poll on the other board it ranked 170th from 264 solo songs.

Always loved this song, though I think I prefer the stripped-down Miraval version to the one in the initial post. As @Flibberty mentioned, it makes no sense on Southpaw but probably deserved a better fate than the one it was given. Oh well.

The only thing that bothers me about this one is that I absolutely cannot listen to it without hearing the Daily Show theme song. Strangely enough, I believe Bob Mould of Hüsker Dü wrote that track at almost the exact same time as "Honey."

Last edited:
like it,M has dozens of these songs which arent classics but are just good solid songs which are easy on the ear.
according to the wiki the last song is seasick yet still docked,means theres no title with,t,u, v, w, x, y, or z.surprised there is no song beginning with t.

Last edited:
A nice little lightweight that musically goes in the direction of "Billy Bud" or the early electric version of "Why don't you find out for yourself". Apparently, just like "You should have been nice to me", it was about the experience of "love between brothers" with Jake. I like it a lot and the floortom work by Spencer is punchy. Wouldn't have fit right on Southpaw but would have been a nice one off farewell single for Jake circa December 94 with "You should have been nice to me" as a flip on 7".

Please don't call me a hopeless romantic living in the past, because I am.

I love this song as the subject matter really speaks to me. Lyrics are great and he sounds really relaxed and lively and confident. I first heard this attached to a video of people surfing. That smooth seemingly effortless confidence fits that image imo

like it,M has dozens of these songs which arent classics but are just good solid songs which are easy on the ear.
according to the wiki the last song is seasick yet still docked,means theres no title with,t,u, v, w, x, y, or z.surprised there is no song beginning with t.
That list is far from complete. Obviously there are tons of songs beginning with those letters.

Anyway, I really like this song. It's lightweight, sure, but the lyrics are both witty and relatable. Good solid, melodic guitar pop/rock from an era when he truly had that style down to a T. Someone said it should have been a b-side at the time, but - and I'm not disputing this - if stuff like "Fatty" and "Dagenham Dave" were deemed album worthy, surely a slightly more polished version of "Honey" should have been, as well?

There's a second page...

The tune comes across as very playful and even upbeat, but I wouldn't call this a lightweight song in the same category as Fatty, Dagenham Dave, Kiss me a lot, simply because the lyrics aren't so light. Satan comes to my mind as its closest cousin melodically (another Boorer co-write) and the theme of this song is picked up again in Amunition ("I don't dwell on things I am missing / I am just pleased with the things I have found"). Makes me think it could have been included on Maladjusted or on one of singles at that time.

The other version referred to in this thread:

He sings "Honey, I am not gonna cry for the tings that never occurred" in the opening phrase

It's silly I know but still I love how he flips the lyrics at the end with "you find how to know me."

I can't put my finger on it at all, but something about this song makes me think of a Grant McLennan Go-Betweens kind of vibe. (And that's a very, very good thing.)

‘KICKING AWAY FROM THE MUNDANE EVERYDAY’

If that was the only line Morrissey ever wrote, it would be enough for me to call him my favorite lyricist and fellow human. Resonates.

Too bad it was never given a proper release at the time as a single b-side at least, or something. Guess he had his reasons.

Moz Classic !

:thumb:

Last edited:

The Teachers are afraid of the pupils...?

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom