Morrissey A-Z: "I Thought You Were Dead"

Indeed, it is digital now.
Oversight on my part - should have said it remained not remains. It didn't come out at the same time and only appeared after a long wait (op adjusted).
Thrashing myself as I type.
(I posted the track here so you'd think I knew).
Regards,
FWD.
If you don’t know, that’s it’s; we’re all done for. ;)
not being one for digital music, expect for in the car. I thought it came out at the same time as the vinyl but if it’s not physical, I’ll be honest: I haven’t got a clue.

As far as the production goes, this one definitely has a lighter touch than much of M's recent work. In that respect, it's definitely more to my liking. But even still, there's just a modern studio feel that I dislike and it's certainly not a complaint I exclusively lob at Morrissey. It's just what most contemporary rock and roll music sounds like, which is why I really don't listen to much of it.

Yeah, my problem mostly is the way modern drums sound, especially with the kick and overall just too much clarity in mixes, I prefer more dirt, more mystery usually.

good but not great.
7thoughts/10deads.

If you don’t know, that’s it’s; we’re all done for. ;)
not being one for digital music, expect for in the car. I thought it came out at the same time as the vinyl but if it’s not physical, I’ll be honest: I haven’t got a clue.
It surfaced 2 months after the vinyl randomly on digital outlets without prior indication - which was odd as today's A-Z song was released despite being a RSD exclusive and 13 days after Lover-To-Be 7" (It Happens Every Time remains vinyl-only for some reason too).
I do buy and value the vinyl product, but digital allows it to become transportable and leave records sealed which is appreciated at times.
Regards,
FWD.

I try to find an explanation since its release why I feel this song stands out way above its contemporary Morrissey songs. Still can't explain, but when I first heard I felt like haven't felt for a Morrissey song for ages.
It's pretty easy to understand, really. The song has a strong melody and is instantly appealing i.e. like nearly all of The Smiths songs and unfortunately unlike very many of Morrissey's post-Smiths songs. But I guess it means that when the great songs do intermittently come along, we appreciate them all the more!

Last edited:
It surfaced 2 months after the vinyl randomly on digital outlets without prior indication - which was odd as today's A-Z song was released despite being a RSD exclusive and 13 days after Lover-To-Be 7" (It Happens Every Time remains vinyl-only for some reason too).
I do buy and value the vinyl product, but digital allows it to become transportable and leave records sealed which is appreciated at times.
Regards,
FWD.
Yea, I get that. It’s only in recent times I’ve opened a lot of records as most of mine were sealed. I just don’t think you cam beat that sound of vinyl. Unique and crisp.
its a strange trait is that (leaving ecords sealed) then getting them out every 12 months just to look at them.

I love this one, too. It's kind of in a different tradition of rock bands going into "ethnic" influences. Makes a nice segue into "Mother's Little Helper" by the Rolling Stones which has a similar guitar sound.

It's pretty easy to understand, really. The song has a strong melody and is instantly appealing i.e. like nearly all of The Smiths songs and unfortunately unlike very many of Morrissey's post-Smiths songs. But I guess it means that when the great songs do intermittently come along, we appreciate them all the more!
That can be, although beware, defining that can make you a Morrissey hater easily!

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom