Morrissey A-Z: "I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris"

BookishBoy

Today's song is this Morrissey/Boorer composition - the lead single from the Years of Refusal album, reaching #21 in the UK Singles chart.

What do we think?

I like the single note guitar parts during the verses. This is not one of my favorites but I like the YOR record and this is pleasant enough that I don't skip it. The video is kind of fun.

Really not one of my favorites. I can see why he’s done it live so much, it is a pretty good ‘pop’ song.

Boz was right, should of been rereleased after the Paris attacks, it might have helped boost people’s morale in their time of need, every little bit counts.

I've said how much I like this song on many an occasion. I like the simple sentiment of embracing places made of stone and steel, because you're unable to embrace skin and bone. Having to find enjoyment in 'things' rather than 'people' but, in a way, still putting your arms around people because they built and designed all the architecture and landscaping you take to heart. Almost, a second hand, 'safe' way of loving without the heartache.

Although it's been done to death live, and although it fizzles out towards the end, I still adore this song - because of the romantic/concrete/nomadic sentiment @Dale Wharfe mentions above, and because Morrissey's vocal melody for the chorus is flat-out pop genius.

An amazing song, just never get tired of hearing it. He manages to recapture the concept of a melancholy pop story cut and shut into 2 minutes - his addition to the 60s pop pantheon he has so admired throughout his career. The instrumentation is beautiful, all delicately picked guitars and soft vocals, until the chorus soars with a powerful vocal and musical unity. I think it ends perfectly - not completely resolved, there’s still enough there for the listener to want more, just as the running time suggests.
All in all, in my opinion, another amazing Refusal song.
10/10

Hearing the song at the time always put a smile on my face. I love Paris and I have spent time there, happy memories. Also, everything about it is so unmistakably Morrissey: the title, the notion of embracing concrete instead of real people the voice, the catchy and soaring tune. It is hard to hate it when at the same time claiming to be a Morrissey fan.

Me and he simply ADORE this one. In his cups, tippy-toeing from the Lower Turks on Shudehill, Sullivan was once moved to sing his own 'I'm throwing my arms around Prestwich' version which caused something of a stir, I can tell you. THIS is a delightful song - a companion piece to 'Christian Dior' and sits nicely along later late pieces referencing Rome and Italy. The dogs in the video are revolting beasts and what on EARTH was the death-mask make-up all about? What a ham - Norma Desmond via Upper Mosley Street.

Me and he simply ADORE this one. In his cups, tippy-toeing from the Lower Turks on Shudehill, Sullivan was once moved to sing his own 'I'm throwing my arms around Prestwich' version which caused something of a stir, I can tell you. THIS is a delightful song - a companion piece to 'Christian Dior' and sits nicely along later late pieces referencing Rome and Italy. The dogs in the video are revolting beasts and what on EARTH was the death-mask make-up all about? What a ham - Norma Desmond via Upper Mosley Street.
I think the death mask make up could be a nod to the stone and steel buildings he's singing about. Perhaps indicating that he sometimes sees himself as a cold, unfeeling object rather than a feeling Human Being.

A really really average Morrissey song, one of those that really plays into the public perception of Morrissey. It's alright, I can see why it charted fairly well. 6/10

was good live although a bit over-played.like it when i hear it once in a while.
7arounds/10paris.

Ultimately, I say no. If one wants melancholy pop Morrissey, I could list 20 songs that are endlessly better than this one. That said, it’s far from shit.

I’m Throwing My Arms Around Paris; a pleasant enough pop-ish song and yes, memorable enough - but it is not one of my favourites. Sandwiched between the wonderful bruiser that is All You Need is Me and the similarly boisterous Something Is Squeezing My Skull, this anachronistic filler is not quite to my taste. I recall having a greater fondness for it upon release – perhaps it has been overplayed and performed to near death. I do enjoy the notion that Morrissey is giving up on physical love and pursuing a love for a city (or all the treats inside?), but Paris? Sorry to my French friends, but I can think of lovelier cities to ‘throw my arms around.’ (And no, not Istanbul or Tel Aviv either!)

And sorry, I know it’s been said before, but I cannot help myself – I still think of Paris Hilton when I think of this song. Ooh La La!

Since this song is the reason I haven't contributed anything to the A-Z threads all week (as it possessed me like a sparkly little pop demon and has been pretty much the only Morrissey song I've been listening to...), it seems fitting to seize this opportunity to jump back in.

I can't help but love this song. I'm a big sucker for Refusal as it is, and in the context of the album it always seems a bit misplaced, but on its own or in a live set it's irresistible. A perfect brief & breezy pop song and a confession of his retro euro-pop passion.

I love that you can hear his little lucky lisp on it if you listen carefully.

And the video is very cute too, although softer lighting would have worked wonders.

Last edited:
I don't think the music is any more lightweight than Girlfriend In A Coma. The one Smiths song I could happily live without.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its pretty good but for whatever reason remains very unmemorable to me. I like the lyrics and sentiment fine but musically nothing but the bit in the chorus really gets stuck in my mind. He’s in fine voice here but the song only rises to the basic watermark for me

I like the way Spencer Cobryn dives over the drums in the video.

I always thought the entire "years of refusal" album was underrated, anyway this track has some nice lines like "only stone and steel accept my love". Good Song.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom